RepairmanJack.com Forums
Another question for the gunnies - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Another question for the gunnies (/thread-218.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Another question for the gunnies - Lisa - 07-06-2004

Is it possible to tell (without the gun as evidence) that two bullets fired into different people were fired from the same person's gun? Or would you just be able to tell they were shot by the same type of gun? OR are there any guns/ammo so rare that finding two people shot by that gun would almost certainly mean that they were shot by the same person?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid. I'm kicking around a story idea, but I know next to nothing about weapons.

Lisa

Another question for the gunnies - Scott Hajek - 07-06-2004

Lisa Wrote:Is it possible to tell (without the gun as evidence) that two bullets fired into different people were fired from the same person's gun? Or would you just be able to tell they were shot by the same type of gun? OR are there any guns/ammo so rare that finding two people shot by that gun would almost certainly mean that they were shot by the same person?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid. I'm kicking around a story idea, but I know next to nothing about weapons.

Lisa

Lisa,

Read some of the forensic information in the newspaper accounts of the DC Sniper. The authorities were able to prove "beyond a reasonable doubt" that one gun was used to shoot many, many different people.

The gunnies will be able to give exacting detail about rifling (spelling ok, guys?) and the like.

Another question for the gunnies - Scott Miller - 07-06-2004

Lisa Wrote:Is it possible to tell (without the gun as evidence) that two bullets fired into different people were fired from the same person's gun? Or would you just be able to tell they were shot by the same type of gun? OR are there any guns/ammo so rare that finding two people shot by that gun would almost certainly mean that they were shot by the same person?

Lisa

I abut next to nothing, but am interested to see if my iota of knowledge proves true. I am going to say that it is possible to determine whether the two bullets were fired by the same gun. My understanding is that each gun imprints some type of unique mark, kind of like a fingerprint, on each shell as it exits the gun. I'm am sure much greater erudition shall be forthcoming soon.

Scott

Another question for the gunnies - jimbow8 - 07-06-2004

Scott Hajek Wrote:spelling ok, guys?
Looks good, Scott. You pass......this time! Bwahahaha!

Look up Ballistic Fingerprinting, Lisa. It seems to be a reasonably good way to identify a gun but not a gun owner since most guns used criminally are not registered. And I also now defer to the gunnies.

Another question for the gunnies - Scott Miller - 07-06-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:Looks good, Scott. You pass......this time! Bwahahaha!

Look up Ballistic Fingerprinting, Lisa. It seems to be a reasonably good way to identify a gun but not a gun owner since most guns used criminally are not registered. And I also now defer to the gunnies.

Looks like we all wanted to get our 2 cents in before letting the experts run the show. :p

Scott

Another question for the gunnies - jimbow8 - 07-06-2004

Scott Miller Wrote:Looks like we all wanted to get our 2 cents in before letting the experts run the show. :p

Scott
Well, it is a gun thread. Both Biggles and Ken will now go back and forth agreeing with each other for about 5 pages and talking about their gun experience. It is only fair that we get our licks in right at the beginning. Big Grin

Another question for the gunnies - Biggles - 07-06-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:Well, it is a gun thread. Both Biggles and Ken will now go back and forth agreeing with each other for about 5 pages and talking about their gun experience. It is only fair that we get our licks in right at the beginning. Big Grin

Ha! Just for that, I have NOTHING TO SAY! :p

Another question for the gunnies - Scott Hajek - 07-06-2004

Biggles Wrote:Ha! Just for that, I have NOTHING TO SAY! :p

That has got to be a first. Everyone mark this day down in history.Wink

Another question for the gunnies - jimbow8 - 07-07-2004

Scott Hajek Wrote:That has got to be a first. Everyone mark this day down in history.Wink
I added it to the calendar.

Another question for the gunnies - Dave - 07-07-2004

Scott Miller Wrote:I abut next to nothing, but am interested to see if my iota of knowledge proves true. I am going to say that it is possible to determine whether the two bullets were fired by the same gun. My understanding is that each gun imprints some type of unique mark, kind of like a fingerprint, on each shell as it exits the gun. I'm am sure much greater erudition shall be forthcoming soon.

Scott

Would this require the shells though? Does the damaging part of the bullet have unique marks? If so, how?

Dave (as curious as Lisa)