RepairmanJack.com Forums
Musicians As Actors - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Musicians As Actors (/thread-1962.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Musicians As Actors - webby - 10-17-2006

On a thread about the movie 16 Blocks there was some discussion about how Mos Def had done a pretty decent job of acting in at least a couple of films. This got me wondering and trying to think of another musician that turned out to be a suprisingly good actor/actress. I couldn't think of a single one! :eek:

Could be I'm just too distracted with other thoughts just now, so I thought I'd see if anybody else could come up with another example. Anyone?

[SIZE="1"]Wow - I don't think I've ever started a thread under the TV and Film category before![/SIZE] Big Grin

Musicians As Actors - jimbow8 - 10-17-2006

webby Wrote:On a thread about the movie 16 Blocks there was some discussion about how Mos Def had done a pretty decent job of acting in at least a couple of films. This got me wondering and trying to think of another musician that turned out to be a suprisingly good actor/actress. I couldn't think of a single one! :eek:

Could be I'm just too distracted with other thoughts just now, so I thought I'd see if anybody else could come up with another example. Anyone?

[SIZE="1"]Wow - I don't think I've ever started a thread under the TV and Film category before![/SIZE] Big Grin
Mark Wahlberg

Musicians As Actors - webby - 10-17-2006

jimbow8 Wrote:Mark Wahlberg

Really? Suprisingly good? In what movie(s)? Remind me...

Musicians As Actors - cobalt - 10-17-2006

Ice T plays a pretty conviencing police detective in one of the Law and Order trios. Sarcastic, funny and some-what caring. I like him best here, but have seen him in a few un-memorable movies.

Thanks for the info Gerald. I fixed my boo-boo.

Musicians As Actors - GeraldRice - 10-17-2006

Ice Cube:

[Image: cube.jpg]

Ice T:

[Image: Ice-t.jpg]

Personally, I think he's stiff and has a severe limited range of emotions. And I think Ice Cube is only good when he's angry in a role.

Whitney Houston was passable in the awful movie 'Waiting to Exhale' and 'The Bodyguard'.

Tyrese Gibson is a good actor. He was in that remake 'Flight of the Phoenix'. Diddy (God how I hate that name) is actually a really good actor. Tupac Shakur was too. I liked Alice Cooper in his tiny role in Wayne's World. Let's not forget the Oscar nominated Will Smith and Oscar winner Jamie Foxx (even though Foxx is known more for his comedic talent he is an actual accomplished pianist and a decent singer).

Musicians As Actors - Scott Miller - 10-17-2006

I thought you said musicians turned actors, so far I haven't seen anyone who qualifies.

Me, I say Dwight Yoakum has been excellent in several roles, but most notably in Sling Blade.

Ruben or Reuben Blades is also an accomplished actor.

Frank Sinatra and tons of others from that generation were more multifaceted as entertainers.

Elvis Presley.

Musicians As Actors - jimbow8 - 10-17-2006

webby Wrote:Really? Suprisingly good? In what movie(s)? Remind me...
I've liked him in every movie I have seen him in, I think, independent of how I've felt about the movie itself.

He was good in Three Kings, and he stole every scene he was in in The Departed. Maybe I just find him likeable as an actor.

Musicians As Actors - Scott Miller - 10-17-2006

jimbow8 Wrote:I've liked him in every movie I have seen him in, I think, independent of how I've felt about the movie itself.

He was good in Three Kings, and he stole every scene he was in in The Departed. Maybe I just find him likeable as an actor.

A lot of people thought he arrived in Boogie Nights. I thought he was good in Fear, The Yards and The Basketball Diaries.

Musicians As Actors - Kenji - 10-17-2006

Sting in "Bride", "Dune", "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels", "The Grotesque". He is great artist and good actor.

Musicians As Actors - APhew - 10-17-2006

How can you guys overlook the acting sensation that is: K-FED!!!! His turn on CSI last week was simply brilliant and I only see stars in the future for this kid. Nevermind the fact that I had no clue it was him until someone pointed it out and my first reaction was bewildered apathy. Upon further reflection I can't see why he won't be able to use his tough street cred, not to mention his wife, to catapult himself to superstardom. As for qualifying as a musician, doesn't he have some sort of rap album coming out?

Seriously now, we can't overlook Meatloaf. He's in the adaptation of F. Pauls "Pelts" on "Masters of Horror" this upcoming season, as well as the soon to be cult classic "Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny". Who can forget him as Bob in "Fight Club" and Eddie on the "Rocky Horror Picture Show"?

Kris Kristofferson

Roger Daltry

Tom Waits

Jared Leto (could be argued that he was an actor before a musician, band: 30 Seconds to Mars)

Jason Schwartzman (same as Leto, ex-band: Phantom Planet)

That's all I can come up with for now...