RepairmanJack.com Forums
Repairman Jack novel, minus the supernatural? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Repairman Jack novel, minus the supernatural? (/thread-1462.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Repairman Jack novel, minus the supernatural? - Chisel - 01-22-2006

Ok, first things first. This is my first time posting here, but I have been a fan of F. Paul Wilson for quite some time. I normally use RepairmanJack as my forum handle, but I thought it would be kind of inappropriate here, hehe.

So anyway, here's my question. How many of you would like to see a Repairman Jack novel, probably set before The Tomb, that doesn't have any supernatural element to it? Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love all of the RJ novels, but I really enjoyed the short story "A Day in the Life" (which is how I discovered RJ, by the way), and I always look forward to the side story fix-it jobs that Jack pulls in the novels.

Repairman Jack novel, minus the supernatural? - Kenji - 01-22-2006

Chisel Wrote:Ok, first things first. This is my first time posting here, but I have been a fan of F. Paul Wilson for quite some time. I normally use RepairmanJack as my forum handle, but I thought it would be kind of inappropriate here, hehe.

Welcome to the board, Chisel. Yeah, I think everybody wants to use "RepairmanJack". But it'll confuse other members! Big Grin

Quote:So anyway, here's my question. How many of you would like to see a Repairman Jack novel, probably set before The Tomb, that doesn't have any supernatural element to it? Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love all of the RJ novels, but I really enjoyed the short story "A Day in the Life" (which is how I discovered RJ, by the way), and I always look forward to the side story fix-it jobs that Jack pulls in the novels.

Un-supernatural element to RJ novels? Like a "Legacies" and "A Day in the Life" ? Yeah, I like "A Day in the Life" too. And I like to see Jack's story, before The Tomb. For example....."Young Repairman Jack story"? Maybe possible. But still, I like supernatural element.

Repairman Jack novel, minus the supernatural? - Pleiades - 01-22-2006

Welcome to the board, Chisel. In addition to those Kenji mentioned, there's also the short stories "The Wringer", and "The Long Way Home". FWP has mentioned the possibility of pre-Tomb RJ stories. We'll just have to wait and see.

Repairman Jack novel, minus the supernatural? - tenebroust - 01-23-2006

This is my first post here as well and I feel compelled to comment on this thread. I feel that the supernatural and the "otherness" is an absolutely essential part of the RJ universe. On the other hand it would be excellent reading about some early fix it jobs, however, it should be pretty obvious that Jack has been watched and "groomed" for some time so it seems to me to be unlikely that he would be altogether free of supernatural elements ever, including when he was younger etc... Just my opinion but it seems logical.
Ted

Repairman Jack novel, minus the supernatural? - KRW - 01-23-2006

tenebroust Wrote:This is my first post here as well and I feel compelled to comment on this thread. I feel that the supernatural and the "otherness" is an absolutely essential part of the RJ universe. On the other hand it would be excellent reading about some early fix it jobs, however, it should be pretty obvious that Jack has been watched and "groomed" for some time so it seems to me to be unlikely that he would be altogether free of supernatural elements ever, including when he was younger etc... Just my opinion but it seems logical.
Ted

The question is then, at what was it in Jacks life that started his grooming for his role in Nightwold? Could it have started back when his mom was killed. Maybe even earlier? Jack doesn't have to realize an influence for there to be one. It coulda been real subtle. Wink

KRW

Repairman Jack novel, minus the supernatural? - Biggles - 01-23-2006

Chisel Wrote:Ok, first things first. This is my first time posting here, but I have been a fan of F. Paul Wilson for quite some time. I normally use RepairmanJack as my forum handle, but I thought it would be kind of inappropriate here, hehe.

So anyway, here's my question. How many of you would like to see a Repairman Jack novel, probably set before The Tomb, that doesn't have any supernatural element to it? Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love all of the RJ novels, but I really enjoyed the short story "A Day in the Life" (which is how I discovered RJ, by the way), and I always look forward to the side story fix-it jobs that Jack pulls in the novels.

Not a bad idea at all. I think others have suggested Jack prequels before, including ones taking us back to his coming of age.

Another of my favorite authors, Vince Flynn, created a character named Mitch Rapp, who, like Jack, became who he is out of vengeance for the death of a loved one. That character also could use the prequel treatment. I think it's a great idea.

Repairman Jack novel, minus the supernatural? - Ossicle - 01-23-2006

tenebroust Wrote:This is my first post here as well and I feel compelled to comment on this thread. I feel that the supernatural and the "otherness" is an absolutely essential part of the RJ universe. On the other hand it would be excellent reading about some early fix it jobs, however, it should be pretty obvious that Jack has been watched and "groomed" for some time so it seems to me to be unlikely that he would be altogether free of supernatural elements ever, including when he was younger etc... Just my opinion but it seems logical.
Ted

I'm on record as believing that RJ himself -- as a character unique in fiction -- is more important and interesting than the plotline of any particular RJ story, including the looooong story about the Otherness. Thus, I would be equally (in some ways more) interested in stories where he faces only mundane/natural problems.

The above is true, as much as I love the Otherness novels/stories (those with Jack and without him). Really, I think of the Otherness novels/stories as being their own, separate thing -- a storyline that happens to have RJ play a role in it.

-o

Repairman Jack novel, minus the supernatural? - Tony H - 01-23-2006

You would enjoy Legacies if you haven't read it yet. It picks up after the tomb and is supernatural-free. It's a whole novel of nothing supernatural that I recall. Some interesting concepts but relatively a stand-alone novel and one of my favorites. It was good to see Jack back after all those years.

Repairman Jack novel, minus the supernatural? - Scott Hajek - 01-24-2006

AsMoral Wrote:You would enjoy Legacies if you haven't read it yet. It picks up after the tomb and is supernatural-free. It's a whole novel of nothing supernatural that I recall. Some interesting concepts but relatively a stand-alone novel and one of my favorites. It was good to see Jack back after all those years.

Before the board and the knowledge of upcoming FPW books/stories, Legacies was a huge surprise that Jack was back. I agree that Jack is Jack with or without the Supernatural elements. But, you need the Otherness to F-up his life. It's been a long and crazy ride and I'm glad I've got my ticket.

Repairman Jack novel, minus the supernatural? - tenebroust - 02-02-2006

It seems to me that the Otherness exists, certainly as a "seperate" storyline, independent of Jack, there is no question of that. However as I stated earlier it seems to me that Jack's life and his life's work has been moved and molded to be a part of the "war" raging between the forces of the Otherness and the somewhat less threatening and possibly merely indifferent "good side" represented by the women with dogs, and the other characters throughout FPW's books which have appeared, and fought that Otherness. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing more stories about Jack tackling fix-its which have no supernatural element to them, because it can't always be about the Otherness ( sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, thus people need stuff done, and Jack can do the fixing, no Otherness or supernatural). But my main point was that in the storyline of Jack and the Otherness it seems as though Jack and his work is somewhat a result of supernatural action, in that the supposed "good side" seems to have been moving him into a position to work for it as it sees fit, and having him in the "fix-it" role is quite handy, since he has access to information and firepower, etc... He also seems to be moving up the chain of command of the forces of the Otherness and thus becoming more visible to it at the same time, it stands to reason that the Otherness would be interfering more in his life as time goes on and their plans are thwarted or delayed, no?
In answer to a post on this thread about where Jack had his first encounter or "push" towards this supernatural element I have the following comments to contribute. It seems to me that it must have been at least since the death of his mother as it seems "forces" are diligently working to make Jack alone, as his family is killed one by one etc... However since much of what follows in these stories is about destiny and cosmic design it must therefore follow that Jack has had a connection with and a role in the "battle" since birth, or conception, and one has to wonder if Jack's mother had a dog? What were the circumstances of his birth? We don't know the answers to any of these questions but it is possible to take a guess. Based on my reading I would have to say Jack had an unusual birth, his childhood had more than a "normal" share of weirdness (possibly encounters with ghosts, paranormal, etc...), the death of his mother was a catalyst, possibly designed and implemented by the "good side" possibly not. I also feel that his mother and father both knew a lot more about all of this stuff than they ever told Jack or let on to anyone that they knew.