RepairmanJack.com Forums
Renting vs Going out to the Movies - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Renting vs Going out to the Movies (/thread-1388.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Renting vs Going out to the Movies - ShadowLord - 12-16-2005

Is it just me or has anyone else found themselves in the same situation --

Movies I went to the big screen to see and thought -- ahh it it was ok not great..

Then later at home I rented the movie again and well to be honest enjoyed it at home more..
Don't know if it was because at home I was more relaxed -- wasn't paying 60+ bucks for the family to see a movie and get some popcorn -- or why..

Recent examples of what I am saying are --

Kingdom of Heaven -- went to the big screen and was disappointed
Watched it at home months later and enjoy it

Batman -- ditto

Anyone else find that at times movies at home are better?

PS __ only watched them on a 27" TV not like it was a monster home theater..

( Many movies dont fit into this catagory)

Renting vs Going out to the Movies - Scott Hajek - 12-16-2005

If a movie is to be "experienced," I prefer to see it at the theater. The larger-than-life blockbusters like King Kong, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, etc. If the movie could be a Hallmark special, or a Lifetime movie, then it's the small screen. I don't have any desire to see some of the dialogue driven dramas (sorry about the alliteration) on the big screen and paying for it. I'd rather rent it, or better yet, check it out from the library for free. Blockbuster may have No late fees, but 10 cents a day is worth paying for anytime over a week.

Renting vs Going out to the Movies - ShadowLord - 12-16-2005

I totally agree with your post there Scott maybe I should have been more specific in stating that I am talking more about movies that I went to see as I thought they were worth seeing in the big screen and was disappointed in.

However months later when I watched them at home-- I found it better then when I was at the theater..

Sums it up I hope.

Renting vs Going out to the Movies - Scott Miller - 12-16-2005

After almost exclusively watching DVD's for the past three years, I am thrilled to be returning to the theater with greater frequency these days. Much like Scott H., I would turn out for the big, effects driven blockbusters and wait for everything else. Cost and convenience(I worked for the enemy: BB) were the primary factors for my waning theater participation until I started to realize that movies were beginning to lose the magic for me and might not even be working their magic on my kids because of their ridiculous accessibility. When a cheap theater opened within driving distance from me, I decided to curb the renting to once a week and go to the theater twice a month. I find this to be working well, the selection at the video store seems greater now that I'm not around them so much, the kids look forward to going to theater, and I've freed up time to do more reading and writing.

Renting vs Going out to the Movies - Maggers - 12-16-2005

"Collateral" was one for me like that. In the movies I thought it was so-so. It was terrific the second time around watching on my TV. That happens not infrequently, too.

Renting vs Going out to the Movies - t4terrific - 12-16-2005

ShadowLord Wrote:Is it just me or has anyone else found themselves in the same situation --

Movies I went to the big screen to see and thought -- ahh it it was ok not great..

Then later at home I rented the movie again and well to be honest enjoyed it at home more..
Don't know if it was because at home I was more relaxed -- wasn't paying 60+ bucks for the family to see a movie and get some popcorn -- or why..

Recent examples of what I am saying are --

Kingdom of Heaven -- went to the big screen and was disappointed
Watched it at home months later and enjoy it

Batman -- ditto

Anyone else find that at times movies at home are better?

PS __ only watched them on a 27" TV not like it was a monster home theater..

( Many movies dont fit into this catagory)

I think the expectations are less by then. When you go to the theater, it's a big event. You go somewhere, pay a fortune, and spend hours there. You expect the film to blow you away. If it doesn't, then it's a little disapointing.

When you watch a video, the expectations are off. If it's not great, no big deal. You are able to watch it with a more realistic mindset and are more likely to be impressed. You may also have seen the film once (at the theater). Now you know what to expect. You will also understand aspects of the film that may have passed you by the first time.

Renting vs Going out to the Movies - KRW - 12-16-2005

t4terrific Wrote:I think the expectations are less by then. When you go to the theater, it's a big event. You go somewhere, pay a fortune, and spend hours there. You expect the film to blow you away. If it doesn't, then it's a little disapointing.

Let's not forget that usually you have to sit next to a stranger. Someone always has to talk through the movie. Popcorn and candy prices are high enough to give you an anurism, (and that's when you finally make it to the counter). Someone is kicking the back of your chair. Someone 7'6" with a ten gallon hat sets right in front of you. Someone always brings a baby. Etc. Etc.

But, if the movie is visually striking, I'll forgive all but the ten gallon hat.

KRW

Renting vs Going out to the Movies - Medusa - 12-16-2005

But there are those "Movie Theater Only" movies just DVD's viewers just can't experience. Rocky Horror Picture Show. You've got to go at least once and experience it (at least if you aren't easily offended). Tim Curry in one of his earlier uh unusual characters. My husband used to play "Frank"!

Renting vs Going out to the Movies - Ken Valentine - 12-16-2005

KRW Wrote:Let's not forget that usually you have to sit next to a stranger. Someone always has to talk through the movie. Popcorn and candy prices are high enough to give you an anurism, (and that's when you finally make it to the counter). Someone is kicking the back of your chair. Someone 7'6" with a ten gallon hat sets right in front of you. Someone always brings a baby. Etc. Etc.

But, if the movie is visually striking, I'll forgive all but the ten gallon hat.

The only movie I've seen in theater since E.T., was Serenity. And that was so damned loud that for a good part of it, I literally had my hands over my ears.

I'll stay with DVD's. At least I can turn the volume down.

Ken V.

Renting vs Going out to the Movies - KRW - 12-16-2005

Ken Valentine Wrote:The only movie I've seen in theater since E.T., was Serenity. And that was so damned loud that for a good part of it, I literally had my hands over my ears.

I'll stay with DVD's. At least I can turn the volume down.

Ken V.

Home beats the theatre every time, except for the big screen. Maybe soon, that problem will be taken care of too. I do wish I had seen "Open Range" in the theatre, just for the scenes with the open land. As far as that goes, I'd have loved to see the tatonka scene in "Dances with Wolves" on the big screen too.

KRW