RepairmanJack.com Forums
2 Questions - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: 2 Questions (/thread-1312.html)

Pages: 1 2

2 Questions - BirdyVal - 11-12-2005

I just finished reading Hosts , and I am curious, would it be best if I read all of the RJ series before I read the other Adversary Cycle novels?

Second question, who is the Actor in RJ teaser trailer #2 (I prefer him)?

-BVal

2 Questions - Pleiades - 11-13-2005

BirdyVal Wrote:I just finished reading Hosts , and I am curious, would it be best if I read all of the RJ series before I read the other Adversary Cycle novels? -BVal

I see this is your first post -- welcome!

It's hard to stop reading the RJ series once you've started. So finish the RJ books, then read the Adversary cycle. I assume you have read from The Tomb on. Then read the AC. Then re-read the RJ books. You'll pick up all sorts of new interconnections that you may have missed before.

One argument for reading the AC, at least through Reprisals, is that The Haunted Air has some references to The Keep and Reprisals. But it's not essential that you know these connections.

FPW has written a lot of books outside RJ and the AC. Be sure to read those as well.

2 Questions - t4terrific - 11-13-2005

BirdyVal Wrote:I just finished reading Hosts , and I am curious, would it be best if I read all of the RJ series before I read the other Adversary Cycle novels? -BVal

It doesn't matter. You need to read The RJ books in order though. The Tomb is the first.

2 Questions - Kenji - 11-13-2005

BirdyVal Wrote:I just finished reading Hosts , and I am curious, would it be best if I read all of the RJ series before I read the other Adversary Cycle novels?

-BVal

Welcome to the board, BirdyVal.

If you read "The Hosts" first, then, next book is "The Haunted Air". So if you really really like RJ series,
I recommend to read "The Haunted Air". But start of all was "The Keep". If you try to read "Nightworld",
first I recommend to read "The Keep".

Anyway, enjoy your reading. Smile

2 Questions - mike36799 - 11-13-2005

t4terrific Wrote:It doesn't matter. You need to read The RJ books in order though. The Tomb is the first.

100% agreed! I would read Tomb, then go in RJ series order. I would reread Hosts when you get there.

2 Questions - KRW - 11-13-2005

BirdyVal Wrote:I just finished reading Hosts , and I am curious, would it be best if I read all of the RJ series before I read the other Adversary Cycle novels?

-BVal

You have some reading ahead of you. You have the R.J. series, and the Advisary series to read also so you get the complete picture. It's best to read them in order, but if you have one and have to wait for earlier books, I say read it! You'll be able to figure out how it fits into the big picture easy enough, but you probably won't catch the small things that can tie the books together. (Untill you reread it, and all of Wilsons books are worth rereading, I promise Cool )

KRW- Welcome to the board.

2 Questions - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 11-14-2005

Howdy-doo, BirdyVal. Welcome to the online JOURNAL OF JACK STUDIES (AND WHATEVER ELSE THE GANG WANTS TO TALK ABOUT). Refereed, of course. I'd recommend you read the Jack novels and the Adversary tales in order, but it's not a big deal. You'll have fun re-reading and seeing the ah-ha! connections.

2 Questions - HaroldDemure - 11-15-2005

i was given 'The Tomb' by afriend a few months ago, and it set me on a Jack feeding Frenzy. i am about to start 'The Haunted Air' and i can't get enough FPW. my question would be this, if i go ahead and read all of the RJ boks up through Infernal, and then start the Adversary Cycle will i have spoiled anything for myself?

2 Questions - APhew - 11-15-2005

HaroldDemure Wrote:i was given 'The Tomb' by afriend a few months ago, and it set me on a Jack feeding Frenzy. i am about to start 'The Haunted Air' and i can't get enough FPW. my question would be this, if i go ahead and read all of the RJ boks up through Infernal, and then start the Adversary Cycle will i have spoiled anything for myself?

I don't think so. The RJ Story Arc happens outside of the events of the AC. There are some characters and events that tie back and forth, but if you haven't read the AC yet you wouldn't know what those were. They really don't spoil anything anyway.

Now, the big question is whether you should read "Nightworld" before the revised version is released. I read it a long time ago, before "Conspiracies" was released. It's probably my favorite of all of his books. If I were in your shoes, it would be a difficult choice to stop at "Reprisal" (you'll know what I mean when you finish it) or to continue on with "Nightworld".

2 Questions - t4terrific - 11-15-2005

HaroldDemure Wrote:i was given 'The Tomb' by afriend a few months ago, and it set me on a Jack feeding Frenzy. i am about to start 'The Haunted Air' and i can't get enough FPW. my question would be this, if i go ahead and read all of the RJ boks up through Infernal, and then start the Adversary Cycle will i have spoiled anything for myself?

That's what I did. I read all of the RJ books to Gateways, then read The AC Books (except Nightworld) before Crisscross was released.