RepairmanJack.com Forums
Jarhead - spoilers - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Jarhead - spoilers (/thread-1305.html)

Jarhead - spoilers - Maggers - 11-11-2005

***********SPOILER ALERT***************

I saw the movie when it opened, which was a week ago at least. I had to wait to write my comments because I wasn't entirely sure how I felt about it.

I liked "Jarhead," without a doubt. 3.5 stars out of 5. Yet something is missing. I am not entirely certain I got the point of view of the film. I left feeling there was a huge build up to a climax that never came, which I suspect is the point of the film.

The movie is about a young marine's experience in the first Gulf War, based on his book. It's beautiful to watch; there are striking images that will stay with me forever. When you see the horse, you'll understand. We watch Jake Gyllenhaal as he enlists in the Marines for no good reason and is chosen to be a sniper. He is sent to the Gulf to fight a war that never quite happens, at least for him and his outfit.

The boredom, the commraderie, the training, the boredom, the creative ways they found to counteract the boredom, the constant hydration in the desert, the boredom....all are exquistely documented. I wasn't bored, as I've read that various reviewers were. It's just that Mendes, the director, creates his reality very well. You're right there with those young Marines and their crusty and trusted staff sargent, Jamie Foxx. You feel what they feel, which is a whole lot of nothing and frustration and longing for home and waiting, waiting, waiting for what never comes.

It's an odd movie in that I still can't figure if it's an anti-war film. There was no war as we know it from a thousand war movies.

The acting was superb. I especially liked Peter Sarsgaard, whom I've enjoyed in every role he's played. I wouldn't be surprised if he picks up an Oscar nomination for supporting actor.

I left the movie feeling conflicted, and I suspect that is exactly what the director wanted.

I did like "Jarhead," though, make no mistake about that.

Jarhead - spoilers - Jay #1 - 11-12-2005

1) I could have sworn that someone said a few battles are like that. You think something big is going to happen, then nothing.

2) I doubt it was meant to be anti-war or pro-war. It just was.

As for war as we know it. I prefer the Audie Murphy movies. Granted they were slightly glamorized. But he was on set to point out where they were going wrong. And from looking at his memorial website, everything in the war movies he did portraying him, actually happened.

Maggers Wrote:***********SPOILER ALERT***************

I left feeling there was a huge build up to a climax that never came, which I suspect is the point of the film.

It's an odd movie in that I still can't figure if it's an anti-war film. There was no war as we know it from a thousand war movies.

Jarhead - spoilers - Paige - 11-18-2005

My friend, he was in the army, said that the Star Wars joke in the gas mask gets old really fast because every time you have to put one on, someone always does it.

Just thought I’d randomly mention it. I should really get some sleep now.

Bye : )

Jarhead - spoilers - Kenji - 02-11-2006

Today I saw this movie.

*****Spoilers alert*****

This is very ironic movie. They are soldiers, and they went to a desert. But they couldn't fight enemies. Everyday, every night, they only hung around in a desert. Before they go to a desert, they saw "Apocalypse Now" and they screamed "Kill them all!!! Woohoo!!!". But once they arrived to a desert, they couldn't shoot enemies. Only waiting for orders. Day by day, they get mad. After all, they didn't fight enemies. The death of enemies were by an air raid. That's all. So, what's the point?

One thing I learned; "WAR MAKE HUMAN CRAZY". I saw that theme in "Full Metal Jacket" and "Apocalypse Now". On the other hand, this movie reminded me of "The Big Red One".

The acting was excellent. Jake Gyllenhaal, Peter Sarsgaard, Jamie Foxx, Lucas Black(Oh, man! Was he in "American Gothic"?!)...all actors were great! What a good casting!

Jarhead - spoilers - Scott Miller - 02-11-2006

Kenji Wrote:Lucas Black(Oh, man! Was he in "American Gothic"?!)...all actors were great! What a good casting!

That's right. We got our son's name, Caleb, from his character in American Gothic, which we both loved. It and Bakersfield P. D. are my favorite yanked-way-too-quickly TV shows. Anyway, my wife has adored him since AG, Sling Blade and The War.

Jarhead - spoilers - Kenji - 02-11-2006

Scott Miller Wrote:That's right. We got our son's name, Caleb, from his character in American Gothic, which we both loved.

That's wonderful! Smile