RepairmanJack.com Forums
Sims questions - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Sims questions (/thread-1291.html)

Pages: 1 2

Sims questions - Chevron - 10-31-2005

Hello.

Is it okay to talk about Sims in this Forum? I wasn't sure whether I should put this in "Off-Topic Discussion".

I've had this book for a while but I've only recently started reading it. After getting hooked on the RJ books, with their touch of the supernatural, I didn't think it would be my kind of thing. Boy, was I wrong!!! Can't put the damn book down now! I'm about halfway through the book at the moment and I've just got a couple of questions.

1. What's a "401(K)"? I assume it to be a bank account of some kind.

2. One of the characters utters the words, "Damn them. Damn them all to hell." Is this a tip of the hat to Charlton Heston who spoke these very same words in a well known film also containing intelligent chimpanzees? Or is that just coincidental?

Thanks.

Kevin.

Sims questions - Marc - 10-31-2005

Chevron Wrote:1. What's a "401(K)"? I assume it to be a bank account of some kind.

401(K) is an investment retirement plan. Simply, an employee can put a certain amount into an account which is usually matched by the employer.

Quote:2. One of the characters utters the words, "Damn them. Damn them all to hell." Is this a tip of the hat to Charlton Heston who spoke these very same words in a well known film also containing intelligent chimpanzees? Or is that just coincidental?

I don't think it's ever been expressly stated that it was a nod to The Planet of the Apes but I would suspect it is.

Marc B. Wrote:401(K) is an investment retirement plan. Simply, an employee can put a certain amount into an account which is usually matched by the employer.

Thanks for clearing that one up for me Marc. It didn't stop me reading the book (not much could at the moment, except this website!) but it's nice to know.

Kevin.

Sims questions - Marc - 10-31-2005

No problem and, by the way, welcome to the board! Big Grin

Sims questions - Biggles - 10-31-2005

Chevron Wrote:Hello.

Is it okay to talk about Sims in this Forum? I wasn't sure whether I should put this in "Off-Topic Discussion".

I've had this book for a while but I've only recently started reading it. After getting hooked on the RJ books, with their touch of the supernatural, I didn't think it would be my kind of thing. Boy, was I wrong!!! Can't put the damn book down now! I'm about halfway through the book at the moment and I've just got a couple of questions.

1. What's a "401(K)"? I assume it to be a bank account of some kind.

2. One of the characters utters the words, "Damn them. Damn them all to hell." Is this a tip of the hat to Charlton Heston who spoke these very same words in a well known film also containing intelligent chimpanzees? Or is that just coincidental?

Thanks.

Kevin.

One thing you'll notice on this board is that we don't care much for rules. You can pretty much post whatever you want wherever you want.

Our members run the gamut from right to left politically, but most of us on both sides of the political spectrum seem to have a healthy disregard for authority! Big Grin

So enjoy your time here. It's a place where people like Jimbow and I (with vastly different viewpoints on nearly everything) can meet to share a symbolic pint of ale. And if you make it to a GU, well then you can risk death whilst doing shots of tequila with Tony! :eek:

Sims questions - jimbow8 - 10-31-2005

Biggles Wrote:One thing you'll notice on this board is that we don't care much for rules. You can pretty much post whatever you want wherever you want.

Our members run the gamut from right to left politically, but most of us on both sides of the political spectrum seem to have a healthy disregard for authority! Big Grin

So enjoy your time here. It's a place where people like Jimbow and I (with vastly different viewpoints on nearly everything) can meet to share a symbolic pint of ale. And if you make it to a GU, well then you can risk death whilst doing shots of tequila with Tony! :eek:
Here here!!! Rules are made to be broken ..... except for attacks against other members, pretty much anything goes.

Welcome

Thanks for the welcome. I've been around for a few months, but I've only posted a couple of times. Most of the chances I get to look at the forum are when I'm at work, and I'm unable to post while I'm there. I don't mind too much. The forum makes pretty entertaining reading anyway. Smile

Cheers.

Kevin.

Sims questions - KRW - 10-31-2005

jimbow8 Wrote:Here here!!! Rules are made to be broken ..... except for attacks against other members, pretty much anything goes.

Welcome

There seems to even be an exception to that rule, but it's by popular concensus! Big Grin

KRW

Sims questions - Biggles - 10-31-2005

jimbow8 Wrote:Here here!!! Rules are made to be broken ..... except for attacks against other members, pretty much anything goes.

Welcome

And rules are even more fun to break in the company of fellow anarchists..er...board members. Big Grin

Sims questions - Maggers - 10-31-2005

Chevron Wrote:Thanks for the welcome. I've been around for a few months, but I've only posted a couple of times. Most of the chances I get to look at the forum are when I'm at work, and I'm unable to post while I'm there. I don't mind too much. The forum makes pretty entertaining reading anyway. Smile

Cheers.

Kevin.

Welcome, Kevin! Glad to have you here, regardless of how much or how little you actually post.