RepairmanJack.com Forums
What so-called "Bombs" did you like? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: What so-called "Bombs" did you like? (/thread-624.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

What so-called "Bombs" did you like? - saglaser - 01-16-2005

This topic looks to be dormant but have to add a few faves:

Top of the list - Knight Riders. George Romero's film about a roadside carnivale show that tries to live by an Arthurian code. Looks awful. But everyone in it is just terrific. Cameo appearances by Stephen and Tabitha King. Probably one of the most under-rated films of all time in my book.

Dumb but pure fun - Jake Speed. A one-star film that's actually aloving homage to the pulp fiction hero. If you enjoy pulps, you'll love it. If you never got pulps, you'll hate it.

Just gets funnier - Ice Pirates. Pure SF farce ending in one of the greatest comedy fight sequences ever. I giggles when I first saw it. Then, for two days, every time I thought of it I laughed harder.

Bloody wonderful - Night Life. A vampire spoof that is very light-hearted without being totally silly -- despite actually pulling off possibly one of the worst vampire jokes ever in a dream sequence. I expected awful and just had a ball.

What so-called "Bombs" did you like? - Richard Kendrick - 01-17-2005

The original "Dune" - Although I prefer the extra, extra, extra long version with the new narration, that they used to play on Sci Fi channel. With commercials the thing used to take all day to watch. I wish they would release that version on DVD.

RIK

What so-called "Bombs" did you like? - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 01-17-2005

Richard Kendrick Wrote:The original "Dune" - Although I prefer the extra, extra, extra long version with the new narration, that they used to play on Sci Fi channel. With commercials the thing used to take all day to watch. I wish they would release that version on DVD.

RIK

Well, sir, I kinda thought that DUNE was one of those great books you just can't make a great movie out of. Just like STARSHIP TROOPERS.

What so-called "Bombs" did you like? - Richard Kendrick - 01-17-2005

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Well, sir, I kinda thought that DUNE was one of those great books you just can't make a great movie out of. Just like STARSHIP TROOPERS.

In the theater nobody knew what the hell was going on unless they had read the book. But the LOOOOOOONG version sums things up pretty well.

I loved all the books. I'm looking forward to the final two books. They are based on an outline, by Frank Herbert, found in a safe deposit box many years after his death. They are being written by Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert. I have also enjoyed their Dune prequels as well. I believe there are three more of those in the works as well.

RIK

Richard Kendrick Wrote:In the theater nobody knew what the hell was going on unless they had read the book. But the LOOOOOOONG version sums things up pretty well.

I loved all the books. I'm looking forward to the final two books. They are based on an outline, by Frank Herbert, found in a safe deposit box many years after his death. They are being written by Kevin J. Anderson and Brian Herbert. I have also enjoyed their Dune prequels as well. I believe there are three more of those in the works as well.

RIK

My One-True-Love whom I shall someday marry says about the same thing, Richard. But let's one music man talk straight to another: do any of the books after the first 2 have great lines ( or scenes) like:
"They have tried to take the life of my son!"
"It was the Harkonnens, Father. We shall have to destroy them."
"The tooth! =The tooth!="
"I was a friend of Jamis...he taught me...when you kill...you pay for it."
"Are you challeging me, sir?"
"You had best explain yourself, Gurney."
"You thought you were doing a thing for Leto...and for that I honor you."
"These people are insane!--Give her body to the storm!"
"Let the storm have what it can take! I'm sorry, Grandfather...you've met the Atreides gom jabbar."
Hee-hee! How can you beat that talk and that action, Richard? I ask yez.

Back with this one--the great last scene in DUNE MESSIAH--the face dancer holding Mau'Dibs infants hostage...Alia touching her blind brother's arm and moving off to the side, her crysknife out... to rescue the tiny ones...the face dancer shouting, "That's far enough, Alia!" Not even an Ixian face dancer is faster than Alia, but his knife is =so close= to the babies... Would he live a heartbeat after killing them? No. Is he willing to do it ? Yes. I could go on here, but jeez...if you haven't read it, =please= do. You will never forget this book.

jimbow8 Wrote:Kenji, I absolutely LOVE Donnie Darko. Have you ever watched the commentaries? They help clear some things up, though much of the movie is meant to be confusing and illogical, I think.

I also love Clash of the Titans and Krull. Have you seen Jason and the Argonauts?

No two ways about it, Jimbo--Donnie Darko was a =fine= flick.

What so-called "Bombs" did you like? - Kenji - 01-17-2005

Richard Kendrick Wrote:The original "Dune" - Although I prefer the extra, extra, extra long version with the new narration, that they used to play on Sci Fi channel. With commercials the thing used to take all day to watch. I wish they would release that version on DVD.

RIK

Which is your favorite one? Movie or TV-mini series? I like TV-mini series. Movie was pretty good. Great cast, wonderful music...but TV-mini series were better than movie.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000639EV/qid=1105972957/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-1873487-4784956?v=glance&s=dvd

Kenji Wrote:Which is your favorite one? Movie or TV-mini series? I like TV-mini series. Movie was pretty good. Great cast, wonderful music...but TV-mini series were better than movie.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000639EV/qid=1105972957/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3/102-1873487-4784956?v=glance&s=dvd

I'd say the mini-series was much better than the movie.

What so-called "Bombs" did you like? - Keith the Elder - 01-18-2005

Maggers Wrote:Have you seen the GE commercial where a surgeon fanatasizes about "Fantastic Voyage" while he's in the OR looking at a brain scan? It's hysterical,and uses footage from FV.

Fabulous!

The faces on the OR staff when he says, "we have to return to the ship"

Priceless

What so-called "Bombs" did you like? - Sam - 01-18-2005

Speaking of commercials, has anyone caught this one yet?? Chewie in the breakroom had me rolling.

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/espn1.html