RepairmanJack.com Forums
Comments on Stephen King - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Comments on Stephen King (/thread-3218.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Comments on Stephen King - Gypsy - 06-02-2011

Grew up reading Creepy, Eerie and Vampirila (sic). My parents wouldn't let me read The Exorcist so I hid it under the bed. Then came Salems Lot! OMG, I was in heaven. I have read every King story since then. Don't remember how, but that led me to the Keep and The Tomb. I have to say I thing The Touch is my favorite story EVER. There are still a few FPW stories I haven't found, but I keep trying. For some reason its hard to find Wilson and also Brian Lumley in bookstores in Daytona Beach. I've had to find a lot of them in used bookstores.

Still can't decide which I like better, King's The Stand or McCammon's Swan Song.

Repairman Jack is my favorite but I also like Lumley's Harry the Necroscope.

I read Koontz when I can't find something else. Its and easy read and you really don't have to read then end. The hero will prevail and all will be well with the world. Maybe he should run for prez, lol.

FPW rules but have to give credit to the others, who else is going to make you sleep with the lights on?

Comments on Stephen King - Brian - 06-02-2011

Gypsy Wrote:FPW rules but have to give credit to the others, who else is going to make you sleep with the lights on?

Or get a weird feeling when the ringer on an old phone malfunctions and does one long ring?
My parents had an old rotary phone in their basement until recently. It had that long ring every so often. I replaced it for them. :yesnod:

Welcome to the board, Gypsy.

Comments on Stephen King - Libby - 06-02-2011

Gypsy Wrote:Grew up reading Creepy, Eerie and Vampirila (sic). My parents wouldn't let me read The Exorcist so I hid it under the bed. Then came Salems Lot! OMG, I was in heaven. I have read every King story since then. Don't remember how, but that led me to the Keep and The Tomb. I have to say I thing The Touch is my favorite story EVER. There are still a few FPW stories I haven't found, but I keep trying. For some reason its hard to find Wilson and also Brian Lumley in bookstores in Daytona Beach. I've had to find a lot of them in used bookstores.

Still can't decide which I like better, King's The Stand or McCammon's Swan Song.

Repairman Jack is my favorite but I also like Lumley's Harry the Necroscope.

I read Koontz when I can't find something else. Its and easy read and you really don't have to read then end. The hero will prevail and all will be well with the world. Maybe he should run for prez, lol.

FPW rules but have to give credit to the others, who else is going to make you sleep with the lights on?
Welcome to the board!!!!!!!!SmileSmileSmile

Comments on Stephen King - Sigokat - 06-02-2011

Welcome, Gypsy!

I read alot of King's stuff when I was in High School. Back then The Shining was my favorite but also the scariest (I still won't reread it). I just recently (in the last 3 months or so) finish IT for the first time. Great, but was a bit disappointed with the ending (I wrote about it elsewhere on the board).

As far as sleeping with the lights on LOL About the only author that creeps me out that much is H.P. Lovecraft. Nothing compares to the original Master of the Macabre!

Comments on Stephen King - Tony H - 06-02-2011

Welcome to the board!!! I personally am not a fan. I think King is too long winded and is in desperate need of an editor.

I recently tried reading "IT" and I thought it was boring, poorly written, and I got all the way to the last 120 pages and I couldn't do it anymore. I put it down and never looked back.

I was so frustrated with "Dreamcatcher" too that I vowed never to read King ever again. He is either an author you will love or hate. I don't think there is a "like" option for him. IMHO.

Comments on Stephen King - cobalt - 06-02-2011

Welcome to the board, Gypsy. I too....devour almost everything Lumley writes. I put up with King because I keep hoping he'll write an ending again I'll like. The only author that I've found that is consistent with winner books...is The Man, FPW.

BTW...love your avatar.

.gif
dragon28.gif (Size: 3.35 KB Downloads: 326)

Comments on Stephen King - Gypsy - 06-03-2011

Thanks everyone. I guess since King was my first "love" I don't get the ones that adamantly don't like his work. Anyone else's fav King book "Bag of Bones?" I admit there have been a few that weren't as good as the others. But I still feel he ranks up there with the best. But I agree, there has never been an FPW that wasn't great. I am sooo going to miss Jack.

When my eyesight allows me to read I devour FPW, King and Lumley as fast as I can get my hands on them. The only one readily available every book in my area is King. I guess I have to start ordering online, lol.

Comments on Stephen King - Gypsy - 06-03-2011

cobalt79 Wrote:devour almost everything Lumley writes.
[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=334]

Even Titus Crow? Took some work to get through those. Have to be dedicated!

Comments on Stephen King - cobalt - 06-03-2011

Gypsy Wrote:Even Titus Crow? Took some work to get through those. Have to be dedicated!
lol That's why I said almost everything. Titus lost me so many times. I'd pick one up, start-stop so many times it was funny. I'm a fan of Harry. Wink

Comments on Stephen King - DaveStrorm - 06-03-2011

Gypsy Wrote:Even Titus Crow? Took some work to get through those. Have to be dedicated!

cobalt79 Wrote:lol That's why I said almost everything. Titus lost me so many times. I'd pick one up, start-stop so many times it was funny. I'm a fan of Harry. Wink

That's what makes the world go 'round. Big Grin As much as I love the Necroscope series, my favorites are the Crow short stories (The Compleat Crow) and the first 2 novels (Burrowers & Transition). Within the Necroscope series, I'd have to say The Necroscope and the Vampire World trilogy are my favorites.