RepairmanJack.com Forums
Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) (/thread-215.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - Dervish - 07-08-2006

What caused me to just visit this forum was sharing about The Haunted Air on another forum with someone else (and I came to get a link to it, and curiousity got me to visit here).

He had said he had a major crush on the singer Tiffany when he was in his teens. I'm not that familiar with her, but there was something familiar that kept tugging at me...

And then I recalled that last August I read The Haunted Air.

I had held off on getting this book because this guy told me it was boring, and I'm somewhat conservative in my spending anyway...which is agitated that I will ONLY buy FPW books (and other authors I really like) new so that the author gets the money (if pressed, I'll get a book used, but I pass it on to someone else and hope to get them interested to, and try to get it new, unless that's obviously not going to happen).

But this one freaked me out more than any of the others. Plenty of scenes described in this thread are freaky, intense, suspensful, and yeah scary, and I recall them well. I think perhaps Hosts held me in the most suspense, but more in a scifi and dramatic way than a horror way. THA was HORROR, down to the core.

When I had about a hundred pages left, I put it down determined to finish it the next day and I actually found it hard to go to sleep. Every time I closed my eyes and relaxed, I kept seeing arms rise out of a pool of blood... I was seeing a girl with a hole in her chest singing quietly, "I think we're alone now..." I gave up, turned on the light, and finished reading the book instead. :eek:

While I've had nightmares from reading other books, and been too into a book to sleep at other times, I think that's the ONLY time I actually couldn't sleep from being freaked out over it (at least until I finished it... and no, I didn't skip ahead).

I can only guess that the guy who told me it was boring said so because I think overall there was a lot less violence (baby gotta have his explosions :p ), and I'm forced to think had a lot less imagination.

Truth be told, I'm dreading reading future books because I think Gia HAS to lose her baby, since she didn't have one in Nightworld. I was CERTAIN she'd lose her child in this one, too (part of why I couldn't just get some sleep before finishing it, too).

Oh, I'll read them, but that dread was/is hanging over me, too.

Anyway, someone was just mentioning Tiffany, and I suddenly recalled reading THA last August (almost a whole year), and got bumps as I thought of Tiffany's "I think we're alone now..."

Major creepy.

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - luthie2 - 07-08-2006

Dervish Wrote:What caused me to just visit this forum was sharing about The Haunted Air on another forum with someone else (and I came to get a link to it, and curiousity got me to visit here).

He had said he had a major crush on the singer Tiffany when he was in his teens. I'm not that familiar with her, but there was something familiar that kept tugging at me...

And then I recalled that last August I read The Haunted Air.

I had held off on getting this book because this guy told me it was boring, and I'm somewhat conservative in my spending anyway...which is agitated that I will ONLY buy FPW books (and other authors I really like) new so that the author gets the money (if pressed, I'll get a book used, but I pass it on to someone else and hope to get them interested to, and try to get it new, unless that's obviously not going to happen).

But this one freaked me out more than any of the others. Plenty of scenes described in this thread are freaky, intense, suspensful, and yeah scary, and I recall them well. I think perhaps Hosts held me in the most suspense, but more in a scifi and dramatic way than a horror way. THA was HORROR, down to the core.

When I had about a hundred pages left, I put it down determined to finish it the next day and I actually found it hard to go to sleep. Every time I closed my eyes and relaxed, I kept seeing arms rise out of a pool of blood... I was seeing a girl with a hole in her chest singing quietly, "I think we're alone now..." I gave up, turned on the light, and finished reading the book instead. :eek:

While I've had nightmares from reading other books, and been too into a book to sleep at other times, I think that's the ONLY time I actually couldn't sleep from being freaked out over it (at least until I finished it... and no, I didn't skip ahead).

I can only guess that the guy who told me it was boring said so because I think overall there was a lot less violence (baby gotta have his explosions :p ), and I'm forced to think had a lot less imagination.

Truth be told, I'm dreading reading future books because I think Vicki HAS to lose her baby, since she didn't have one in Nightworld. I was CERTAIN she'd lose her child in this one, too (part of why I couldn't just get some sleep before finishing it, too).

Oh, I'll read them, but that dread was/is hanging over me, too.

Anyway, someone was just mentioning Tiffany, and I suddenly recalled reading THA last August (almost a whole year), and got bumps as I thought of Tiffany's "I think we're alone now..."

Major creepy.

****The Haunted Air and The Keep Spoiler Alert****

Welcome to the forum, Dervish!

I agree with you, The Haunted Air was one of the most frightening of FPW's books. I also thought that Gia was going to lose her baby in this book and was shocked when she didn't. And when Charlie was reanimated, like the corpses in The Tomb! <shiver> THA remains one of my favorite books on so many different levels - frighteneing, funny, heart-breaking - all rolled together into one great book.

-Luthie

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - cobalt - 07-08-2006

Welcome Dervish! Glad you joined and posted some great thoughts.
THA is one of my favorite RMJ books. Alot of horror, suspense and just plain creepy-ness. But that's what FPW does, his magic in writting, to get you hooked into the story.......you just CAN'T stop reading!

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - Silverfish - 07-10-2006

Welcome to the board.

cobalt79 Wrote:But that's what FPW does, his magic in writting, to get you hooked into the story.......you just CAN'T stop reading!

It's so true! I've had many a groggy day at work because I can't put a book down at night. I have to stop in the middle of a chapter because otherwise I will want to start the next chapter.

Stephanie

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - webby - 07-10-2006

Silverfish Wrote:
Welcome to the board.

It's so true! I've had many a groggy day at work because I can't put a book down at night. I have to stop in the middle of a chapter because otherwise I will want to start the next chapter.

Stephanie

Good idea, Stephanie! I usually just keep going until I realize I'm dozing off every time I blink and the book is about to fall out of my hands! Big Grin

(Welcome, Dervish!)

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - KRW - 07-10-2006

cobalt79 Wrote:Welcome Dervish! Glad you joined and posted some great thoughts.
THA is one of my favorite RMJ books. Alot of horror, suspense and just plain creepy-ness. But that's what FPW does, his magic in writting, to get you hooked into the story.......you just CAN'T stop reading!

He's writen at least two stories on voodoo, and you think this is a coincedence?Wink

Ken

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - Ken Valentine - 07-10-2006

KRW Wrote:He's writen at least two stories on voodoo, and you think this is a coincedence?Wink

One time is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time, you know it's deliberate. Big Grin

Ken V.

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - KRW - 07-10-2006

Ken Valentine Wrote:One time is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time, you know it's deliberate. Big Grin

Ken V.

I guess only one is about voodoo, but the other is closely related. Can anyone name the two I'm thinking of?

Ken

Scariest Scenes in FPW Works? (SPOILERS ABOUND FOR MANY WORKS) - Ken Valentine - 07-10-2006

KRW Wrote:I guess only one is about voodoo, but the other is closely related. Can anyone name the two I'm thinking of?

I can remember one short story, but at the moment, the title escapes me.

( IT was about a writer whose book was turned into a really horrible movie.) Big Grin

Ken V.

Ken Valentine Wrote:I can remember one short story, but at the moment, the title escapes me.

( IT was about a writer whose book was turned into a really horrible movie.) Big Grin

Ken V.

That's "Cuts". Also a movie term to end a scene. Think about it.Big Grin
The other one I'm thinking of is "The Tenth Toe".

Ken