RepairmanJack.com Forums
Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Movies - Was the remake better than the original (/thread-2730.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Ken Valentine - 03-17-2008

Kenji Wrote:Have you ever seen "The Great Escape" and "The Magnificent Seven"?

Oh, well, by the way, "The Magnificent Seven" is definitely better than the original. Of course, "Seven Samurai" is masterpeice and good movie. But I prefer "The Magnificent Seven". Wink

You're right about The Seven Samurai being a masterpiece, it most definitely is! But I don't consider The Magnificent Seven to be a remake, to me, it's a rip-off. Not that it isn't good, it is, but to me, what John Sturges did was to file the serial numbers off of The Seven Samurai and turn it into a western.

And as you probably already know, John Sturges also directed The Great Escape.

Ken V.

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 03-17-2008

Flinx Wrote:The threads Movies =worse= Than The Books? and Movies Better Than The Books They're Based On got me thinking about movies that get remade.
Can a remake be better than the original?

An excellent question! I suppose flicks that rely on FX for their power =might= be better these days. But can we really imagine films that are great for storytelling and acting can be reheated? The NEW GODFATHER , anybody? CITY LIGHTS 2008? No? I didn't think so.

The only exceptions that come to mind are Akira Kurosawa's forbidden HOT ZOMBIE WOMEN NEED MEN!, and Stanley Kubrick's surpressed homage REANIMATED BABES IN LUST.

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 03-17-2008

ImDeranged Wrote:I had an idea years ago for an audience participation reality show. I'd call it something like "Miscast" take a few celebrities -(A,B, C level) and pit them together. The audience would be given several different movie options w/out knowing who their cast was going to be. The cast wouldn't now what movies would be chosen. But they'd have to act out a scene from that movie.
Eventually you'd see something like Jon Lovitz and Fran Drescher reinacting a scene or two from Gone With the Wind. Or Curtis "Booger" Armstrong and Pamela Anderson's Casablanca.
It would make great TV. Because the only thing we like better then a train wreck on television is when we can vote on it.

That is a =damn= good ah-deer!Cool

ImDeranged Wrote:I should copyright it now just in case there are any Fox executives that are reading this. "Miscast" and the aforementioned idea are copyrighted as of March 17, 2008. Please contact ImDeranged "Productions" care of this message board if interested in project.Big Grin

With you, brother! That's your intellectual property! (Can I be on the first one? Please? Please?)

ImDeranged Wrote:You got it, maybe with your music experience you can help suggest how the scoring arrangements go.

It would =have= to be 12-tone!:p

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - jimbow8 - 03-18-2008

ImDeranged Wrote:Because the only thing we like better then a train wreck on television is when we can vote on it.

This is AWESOME!!! Kudos!

Good idea, btw, but I prob wouldn't watch it since I "distance myself" from reality tv.

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - bones weep tedium - 03-18-2008

Ken Valentine Wrote:You're right about The Seven Samurai being a masterpiece, it most definitely is! But I don't consider The Magnificent Seven to be a remake, to me, it's a rip-off. Not that it isn't good, it is, but to me, what John Sturges did was to file the serial numbers off of The Seven Samurai and turn it into a western.

AKA

remade it as? Wink

What do you classify as a remake?

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Kenji - 03-19-2008

Ken Valentine Wrote:You're right about The Seven Samurai being a masterpiece, it most definitely is! But I don't consider The Magnificent Seven to be a remake, to me, it's a rip-off. Not that it isn't good, it is, but to me, what John Sturges did was to file the serial numbers off of The Seven Samurai and turn it into a western.

Some people say "rip-off". But now I don't care about it whether rip-off or remake.

When I was 8 or maybe 10, I saw "The Magnificent Seven" on TV, and it was a first western movie to me. So it was a first time I saw gun fight scenes. Some scenes terrified me, some scenes fascinated me. "The Magnificent Seven" is special movie to me, forever. Smile

Ken Valentine Wrote:And as you probably already know, John Sturges also directed The Great Escape.

Ken V.

Yes, I know. That was definitely "Great" Escape. Also, he directed "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral". That was great.

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Ken Valentine - 03-19-2008

bones weep tedium Wrote:What do you classify as a remake?

Another Samurai movie with essentially the same plot. Wink

Ken V.

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Ken Valentine - 03-19-2008

Kenji Wrote:Some people say "rip-off". But now I don't care about it whether rip-off or remake.

When I was 8 or maybe 10, I saw "The Magnificent Seven" on TV, and it was a first western movie to me. So it was a first time I saw gun fight scenes. Some scenes terrified me, some scenes fascinated me. "The Magnificent Seven" is special movie to me, forever. Smile

I understand Kenji. The Magnificent Seven was definitely a great movie. But to expand on what Bones asked; to me, a "remake" is exactly that . . . the same movie which has been remade -- a duplicate (or close duplicate) of the original.

The Magnificent Seven turned out to be so good that, in John Sturges' own words, "After that movie, if I wanted to direct a telephone book, they probably would have let me." Big Grin

Quote:Yes, I know. That was definitely "Great" Escape. Also, he directed "Gunfight at the O.K. Corral". That was great.

To me (as a director) John Sturges ranks right up there with John Frankenheimer and David Lean -- one of the all time greats!

Ken V.