RepairmanJack.com Forums
Who'd play Jack? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Who'd play Jack? (/thread-1231.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Who'd play Jack? - t4terrific - 10-13-2005

KRW Wrote:Don't get me wrong T4, (I already know Law Dawg has a comfy job! Wink ) but what kind of job do you have that makes you work out like that? I could get both you and law dawg stocking roofs or moving concrete and you'd never have to waste money on a gym again. Unless it's to practice your techniques. Big Grin

KRW

I don't train for a job. It's more like a hobby. The problem is, I'm not satisfied just to go practice once or twice a week and have fun and go home. I want to be great. I think everyone should try to be great at something. I've never had a career, or a relationship, that could really satisfy that part of me. Training does. I feel like I'm making my world better by making me better.

It also helps take away the guilt of being such a couch potatoe. Big Grin

Who'd play Jack? - law dawg - 10-13-2005

Snake Wrote:I don't know about anybody else, but I got tired just watching that video.
Yeah, those guys are animals. The slowest of the two finishes in around 3 minutes. My personal best is six and a half Sad

You end up doing 45 squat trusters (95 lb) and 45 pullups at the end.

My workout yesterday was to do 100 pullups as fast as I could. Ouch!

t4terrific Wrote:I don't train for a job. It's more like a hobby. The problem is, I'm not satisfied just to go practice once or twice a week and have fun and go home. I want to be great. I think everyone should try to be great at something. I've never had a career, or a relationship, that could really satisfy that part of me. Training does. I feel like I'm making my world better by making me better.

It also helps take away the guilt of being such a couch potatoe. Big Grin
YES!! Me too!! I love lounging around when I am not training or working.

And watching the Ultimate Fighter TV show LOL

Who'd play Jack? - The Mad American - 10-13-2005

Curious here T4 and Law Dawg. Either of you ever fought beyond your training in organized MA? I know Law Dawg uses a lot of this training as a LEO but really just curious here as a former fighter who still trains a bit. And specifically what MA do you train in? (you may have said but I probably missed it).

In my experience I have some different takes on some of the points discussed here but not too extremely different. Like there are those very very rare people who are just genetic freaks who without weight training or really any MA training are some of the toughest people you will ever meet. I have been in MA for years upon years, spent some time kick boxing as a professional and grew up rough on the streets. ( I think Matt Hughes is a freak of nature, yeah the guy trains harder then most people can even imagine and lifts and trains and so on...but holy hell he is strong beyond anyone I have ever seen and does some amazing thing just on strength alone)

I once got into a fight with a guy who cheap shotted a friend of mine. This was a big guy (I am 6'4" 210lbs,this guy dwarfed me). He was obviuosly just someone who was a great big brute. After he came at me and I had hit him with about 10 clean shots that didn't even get his attention I started resorting to fight enders. I hit him with all that I have at my disposal and nada. He finally connected with me on the side of my head and I have to say it was the hardest I have ever been hit by anything. Flash knockdown, big ass guy ground and pounding me...not a pretty site. Guess the point I was trying to make was I have been in the ring with guys who are hard core cross trainers and very highly trained MA'ist who hit like teenage boys and been in street fights with brutes who have zero training and no MA skil and hit like freaking freight trains.

I do agree 100% that training will make all the difference in the world but there is an exception to every rule.

(sorry for joining in the hijacking of the thread... Wink )

The Mad American Wrote:Curious here T4 and Law Dawg. Either of you ever fought beyond your training in organized MA? I know Law Dawg uses a lot of this training as a LEO but really just curious here as a former fighter who still trains a bit. And specifically what MA do you train in? (you may have said but I probably missed it).
Brazilian ju-jitsu (BJJ), muy thai and jeet kune do (JKD) with a smattering of kali and silat and old school beat down (OSBD). Wink
And yeah I have used it in the street.

Quote:I once got into a fight with a guy who cheap shotted a friend of mine. This was a big guy (I am 6'4" 210lbs,this guy dwarfed me). He was obviuosly just someone who was a great big brute. After he came at me and I had hit him with about 10 clean shots that didn't even get his attention I started resorting to fight enders. I hit him with all that I have at my disposal and nada. He finally connected with me on the side of my head and I have to say it was the hardest I have ever been hit by anything. Flash knockdown, big ass guy ground and pounding me...not a pretty site. Guess the point I was trying to make was I have been in the ring with guys who are hard core cross trainers and very highly trained MA'ist who hit like teenage boys and been in street fights with brutes who have zero training and no MA skil and hit like freaking freight trains.
You are 100% right. Some people are naturally tough or work in very tough fields (coal miners, construction, etc.) who will knock your dick in the dirt. My point is that "skill" is a variable thing. SKill in the ring does not necessarily translate to skill without. A guy picking a fight in a bar probably has done this a time or two before. He would get cleaned in a dojo but in the street he knows the rules - hit first and hit hard. While the MA is trying to talk him down he is done talking and that first punch (probably done with some kind of deception) lands it is maybe all over. That is why so much MA training is limited IMO. They do not train you for how fights occur in the real world. They train you for a duel.
In the scenario you mentioned I would have tried to take him down on the ground and choke him out or pound him when his head was pinned to the ground (dramatically increasing your effectiveness). Or else I would have run! Smile
This is a good discussion I think. Plus it shows some of the differences between fiction (RJ) and how things really work.

The Mad American Wrote:Curious here T4 and Law Dawg. Either of you ever fought beyond your training in organized MA? I know Law Dawg uses a lot of this training as a LEO but really just curious here as a former fighter who still trains a bit. And specifically what MA do you train in? (you may have said but I probably missed it).

In my experience I have some different takes on some of the points discussed here but not too extremely different. Like there are those very very rare people who are just genetic freaks who without weight training or really any MA training are some of the toughest people you will ever meet. I have been in MA for years upon years, spent some time kick boxing as a professional and grew up rough on the streets. ( I think Matt Hughes is a freak of nature, yeah the guy trains harder then most people can even imagine and lifts and trains and so on...but holy hell he is strong beyond anyone I have ever seen and does some amazing thing just on strength alone)

I once got into a fight with a guy who cheap shotted a friend of mine. This was a big guy (I am 6'4" 210lbs,this guy dwarfed me). He was obviuosly just someone who was a great big brute. After he came at me and I had hit him with about 10 clean shots that didn't even get his attention I started resorting to fight enders. I hit him with all that I have at my disposal and nada. He finally connected with me on the side of my head and I have to say it was the hardest I have ever been hit by anything. Flash knockdown, big ass guy ground and pounding me...not a pretty site. Guess the point I was trying to make was I have been in the ring with guys who are hard core cross trainers and very highly trained MA'ist who hit like teenage boys and been in street fights with brutes who have zero training and no MA skil and hit like freaking freight trains.

I do agree 100% that training will make all the difference in the world but there is an exception to every rule.

(sorry for joining in the hijacking of the thread... Wink )

My grandfather had the most impressive knockout I've ever seen . A guy grabbed my Aunt's wrist at a square dance (don't laugh this was 20 years ago in The South) and tried to get her to leave with him. My grandfather, or pawpaw, as we called him, just walked up to the guy, with his hands at his side. He threw a right hand that went in a straight line from his hip to the guys' jaw. The first part of the guys body to hit the ground was the back of his head, his feet were pointing toward the ceiling for a split second.

My pawpaw never trained to fight. He never lifted a weight. He was a laborer for years and years. He was naturally strong, but even stronger due to heavy lifting (tossing 100 pound sacks, at a plant my dad says, 1 in each hand).

Some guys are just tough. You can't go to a teacher and learn how to be tough.

Matt Hughes is a freak of nature. He's one of my favorite fighters. I wish he'd learn a little more about submission (he's been easilly submitted twice that I've seen). Training with Pat Militech has done wonders for the pure Wrestling athlete. Don't kid though, Matt Hughes trains harder than anyone. The thing about him is a lifetime of Wrestling at a high level. Lifelong Wrestlers are usually the strongest fighters anywhere, that's a big part of their success.

I spend the majority of my time training in grappling. At The Welcome Mat Judo Club, in Kansas City, we train in Judo, Jujitsu, Sambo, and Wrestling. I train, a little, in boxing, on my own, but don't have any really good trainers. I've tried Kung-Fu and Tae Kwon Do. I don't like them at all. I'm interested in Kempo and Mui Thai, but don't know any good coaches locally. To me, the most important part of striking is punching. Punching is the safest, quickest and most effective way of putting someone down. Kicks, while they have their place, often leave you vulnerable to takedowns and counterpunches. Knees, from a Mui Thai clinch are great (they too, leave you vulnerable to takedowns) and don't need a whole lot of practice. I really want to develope my bread and butter, which is my mat game before I try to go on to a competitive level. At that time, I'd spend serious time on striking.

Current UFC Heavyweight Champion, Andre Arlovski started in the UFC as a champion Sambo player (grappling, speciallizing in arm and leg locks, choking and striking is illegal). He had zero experience in MMA. He won his first fight, via Juji-Gatami (straight arm bar), in less than a minute. Over time he became the most powerful heavyweight knockout artist in MMA history. He knocks out everyone. He's now a true smasher. It's funny to think that 5 years ago he was a true submission grappler, a Sambo player.

On the street, I avoid trouble. I don't have a profession that puts me in the line of fire. I've been in some bad areas regularly, but have just been lucky never to have been a target. I stay away from bars and drunks. That's where most trouble comes. I don't want trouble. I never want to injure someone and I definitely don't want to be injured.

As a kid I got in a lot of fights. That's where I started grappling. If a kid would start getting the best of me, I'd grab him, wrestle him to the ground and bang away. I always thought of my trechnique as cheating, but better than getting beaten up. I was a big Pro Wrestling fan, and would always roll around on the floor, or in the yard, with my friends trying to be the "Champion Wrestler". We even had a Weight belt that a kid wrot, with a sharpie, "World Heavyweight Champion". I never really realized that was a true fighting style until the UFC came along. I said "Holy Shit!! I used to do that stuf just to stop from getting beaten up. Those guys try to do that from the start!"

law dawg Wrote:In the scenario you mentioned I would have tried to take him down on the ground and choke him out or pound him when his head was pinned to the ground (dramatically increasing your effectiveness). Or else I would have run! Smile
This is a good discussion I think. Plus it shows some of the differences between fiction (RJ) and how things really work.

Another very effective tool, for a grappler, is the forehead. If you can mount someone, and want to hurt that sumbitch, you can potatoe that face with your forehead. It's illegal in MMa and practically every real combat sport, because it is so brutal, and effective.

RJ, so far, has been pretty cool, because he's used so much suprise and trickery in his fights. I've read some fiction, where they talk about fights like some Van Damme movie. It annoys me a little because, there is so much live combat to be seen now. The least you can do is respect reality a little.

Anyone know anything about pressure point striking? I don't. I've had a guy try to convince me that he could put me down, easilly with a simple strike to certain points. He never could, and I could take him down every time (where he was putty in my hands. I know the inner thighs are very tender. I often grind my elbows in the inner thighs (and balls) of guys who try too hard to keep me in their guard. Anyone know more about "pressure point striking"?

Who'd play Jack? - jacobm - 10-13-2005

I'm new to the forum but have been a Jack fan since reading The Tomb when it was first published. Has anybody mentioned Gerard Butler as a Jack option? He has not done much big screen stuff (would that be good or bad?) and sort of fits the profile I think...

jacobm Wrote:I'm new to the forum but have been a Jack fan since reading The Tomb when it was first published. Has anybody mentioned Gerard Butler as a Jack option? He has not done much big screen stuff (would that be good or bad?) and sort of fits the profile I think...

He's cool if he can lose the accent.

t4terrific Wrote:Another very effective tool, for a grappler, is the forehead. If you can mount someone, and want to hurt that sumbitch, you can potatoe that face with your forehead. It's illegal in MMa and practically every real combat sport, because it is so brutal, and effective.
I am an elbow guy. The elbow is absolutely devastating. It is also the second hardest bone in the body (or so I have heard), so you don't break it like your hands. Since I also carry a firearm and may have to resort to that I am very careful with my hands. If you can apply a good elbow (especially if used in conjunction with your other hand in a shearing motion) the fight is probably practically over.

Quote:RJ, so far, has been pretty cool, because he's used so much suprise and trickery in his fights. I've read some fiction, where they talk about fights like some Van Damme movie. It annoys me a little because, there is so much live combat to be seen now. The least you can do is respect reality a little.
Agree.

Quote:Anyone know anything about pressure point striking? I don't. I've had a guy try to convince me that he could put me down, easilly with a simple strike to certain points. He never could, and I could take him down every time (where he was putty in my hands. I know the inner thighs are very tender. I often grind my elbows in the inner thighs (and balls) of guys who try too hard to keep me in their guard. Anyone know more about "pressure point striking"?
I think it is crap. I was taught NUMEROUS pressure points in my police academy for use in certain situations. It is ok to use if, for instance, you need protestors to move and they are not actively aggressive or say to get a resisting (passively) driver out of a car. To use against an active opponent? Useless.