RepairmanJack.com Forums
Actor For Jack - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Actor For Jack (/thread-11.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Actor For Jack - Sam - 04-28-2004

The Mad American Wrote:I really dig the series Touching Evil and for some reason thought it was originally a series somewhere else but not Britain...I will definately look into finding some of the british series to watch.

But back to the point of the message, what about the guy from the US version for the part of Jack?

Agree with you Mad American. I've been taping it every Friday. The main reason I like it is that Donovan/Creegan makes me think of Jack. Sarcastic and playful, even childish at times, but with an underlying rage. Unwilling to kill but will if need be, especially if it gets personal. Not to mention he fits Jack's physical profile pretty well. Did the British version have the same actors as well??? Thought it was the same show.

Actor For Jack - Matthew Smith - 04-28-2004

The Mad American Wrote:But back to the point of the message, what about the guy from the US version for the part of Jack?

He seems a little young to me for Jack, but I really like his intensity. Under the surface, you can see that he's burning with rage. That's a hard thing to pull off and I think he does a good lob of it. As for his age -- he probably just seems young to me because of the way they costume him for the show. They dress him pretty young and keep his hair casually messy. Whatever his age is, it makes him look like he's in his late twenties.

--Matthew

Actor For Jack - The Mad American - 04-29-2004

But being young and relatively new to the acting biz( or least a relative unknown) it would be so much easier to get him to commit to a franchise and stick with it....that is if they do decide to franchise Jack.

A remake of the Six Million Dollar Man? Holy crap, I cannot beleive the junk that is coming out of.....wait, yes I can beleive the junk that is coming out of hollywood. Why should I be surprised that it is taking forever to get something as awesome as the Jack movie off the ground and yet every other week we get bombarded by some absolute, totally talent missing, no plot having, star vehicle for a star with no real star power, rehash of a piece of crap done a million times before, and failed a million times before, appeal to the MTV generation, worthless, forgot in a week Hollywodd blockbuster?

Maybe its just me...

Actor For Jack - Mailedbypostman - 04-29-2004

Who can say?

Actor For Jack - jimbow8 - 04-29-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:They are also making The Six Million Dollar Man starring Jim Carey. AARRGGHH!! Make it stop before someone gets hurt!!
Now I read that they are remaking The Longest Yard, but this time starring Adam Sandler. I normally like Adam Sandler movies (I even liked Punch Drunk Love), but he is not suitable for this role AT ALL.

Actor For Jack - Annice Burdeos - 04-29-2004

Sam Wrote:Agree with you Mad American. I've been taping it every Friday. The main reason I like it is that Donovan/Creegan makes me think of Jack. Sarcastic and playful, even childish at times, but with an underlying rage. Unwilling to kill but will if need be, especially if it gets personal. Not to mention he fits Jack's physical profile pretty well. Did the British version have the same actors as well??? Thought it was the same show.

Touching Evil is an Americanized version of the British mini series from a few years back. The lead was portrayed by Robson Green and featured Andy Serkis.

Jeffrey Donovan has appeared in film before but never in the lead.

Remember, studios are always looking for franchises and with Jack having a literary pedigree, the character has that potential. Most likely Disney/Beacon will cast someone who is known, has opened a film before (i.e. who can put butts in the theatre opening weekend) and who fits the general description of Jack.

With so many sequels and franchises being made, they are looking to improve their chances as much as possible for the film to turn a profit, preferably during its initial domestic run. Given who would most likely star, that individual would have to carry the film internationally as well. So look for Jack on film to be more of an action adventure type!

I don't really think a total unknown will be cast. Perhaps Disney might be interested since a relative newcomer won't ask for $14 million and a percent of the backend. However, they will probably cast someone who is being groomed for stardom in much the same way as Jennifer Garner is as Julia Roberts' heir apparent.

Its a sorry state of affairs that Hollywood takes foooooorever in bringing some novels to the big screen. Actors that would have been perfect as Jack (James Spader, Johnny Depp and others) are now in their forties. Not to say they couldn't do it, it just limits their ongoing participation for more than 1 or 2 films.

Whoever will be cast as Jack should understand and be protective of him in much the same way as Jamie Lee Curtis, Tom Jane and Hugh Jackman have been with their cinematic counterparts.

In the best book to film adaptations, that's the key.

Actor For Jack - Ken Valentine - 04-30-2004

The Mad American Wrote:A remake of the Six Million Dollar Man? Holy crap, I cannot beleive the junk that is coming out of.....wait, yes I can beleive the junk that is coming out of hollywood. Why should I be surprised that it is taking forever to get something as awesome as the Jack movie off the ground and yet every other week we get bombarded by some absolute, totally talent missing, no plot having, star vehicle for a star with no real star power, rehash of a piece of crap done a million times before, and failed a million times before, appeal to the MTV generation, worthless, forgot in a week Hollywodd blockbuster?

Maybe its just me...

To me, this business of re-makes of re-makes of re-makes shows tremendous lack of both talent and imagination on the part of Hollywood producers and directors. They see something that was brilliantly done by someone else, and then imagine that they can do it better . . . only to prove that they can't. Or they take something that wasn't worth doing in the first place, and try to improve it . . . only to prove that they can't.

There are so many good stories out there and, as you say, they have to re-make some inane piece of junk.

Wouldn't Black Wind make a great movie? Wouldn't Dydeetown World? Wheels Within Wheels? The Select? A good producer-director combination could make a career of just FPW's books alone!

And then there's the Giants Trilogy, Mirror Maze, and The Infinity Gambit by James P. Hogan. The Probability Broach by L. Neil Smith. All of them would make great movies . . . and these bozo's have to re-do the Six Million Dollar Man. Rolleyes SMDM, the Bionic Woman, and similar programs is one of the major reasons I completely stopped watching television nearly twenty years ago -- I just stopped turning the TV on because there wasn't anything worth turning it of FOR!

Ken V.

Actor For Jack - Richard Kendrick - 04-30-2004

[COLOR=Black]
Ken Valentine Wrote:Wouldn't Black Wind make a great movie?

Hey Ken, funny you should mention that... I am 2/3 of the way through Black Wind and the entire time I'm reading it I'm thinking, "Why hasn't this been made into a movie? It would be perfect." I could see it for sure. What a great book so far.

RIK

Actor For Jack - Richard Kendrick - 04-30-2004

The Mad American Wrote:... with a two ton heavy thing.

Queensryche?

RIK

Actor For Jack - The Mad American - 04-30-2004

Richard Kendrick Wrote:Queensryche?

RIK

I guess your right there Richard, didn't realize it when I wrote it but yeah that is in a Queensryche song....Seems like it was a sample from something else though..can't remember what.