RepairmanJack.com Forums
How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? (/thread-860.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Maggers - 04-10-2005

Lokheed Wrote:Well, if you want to see us sooner than GU-5 we will be in NYC the last week of July... Cool

Cool! Let's try and get together then!

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - matthewsmommy - 04-10-2005

I've noticed that several people on the board have gotten FPW from their parents. Me, too. My dad badgered me constantly, I'd say at least 4 years straight, to read "The Keep." I finally did and it dawned on me that my dad has much better taste than I had ever given him credit for. The cover just didn't interest me. I was into Danielle Steel at the time (forgive me, please). But, man, once I'd read it, there was no turning back. Now I've learned to take my dad's advice. He's a pretty smart man! Smile

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Tony H - 04-10-2005

JazzHands Wrote:How did I become a fan? Hmmm... I guess it all began with the classic story "girl meets guy, guy moves across the country to Florida, girl thinks, 'yeah, it ain't that easy to get away from me', moves to Florida too"

Moving in with Ron(Lokheed), having our books, CDs and DVDs meld into one collection with both of us enthusiastically recommending our favorites to each other... FPW had been on my radar a little while when this crazy thing called GU4 happened.

I met these wonderful, warm, intelligent and insanely funny people, and the Man himself. I am sorry to say up until that point I hadn't read but a couple of pages of the Repairman Jack short story in The Barrens. I felt so unworthy! The Man himself, his wife and the GU4ers made me excited to get into the books.

Since that weekend I have been on an FPW tear: The Keep, Reborn, The Tomb, Legacies, Conspiracies, All The Rage: all read. I am just starting Hosts this weekend. Please don't make me say my favorite, I love them all so much.

Oh how I miss my Kris. All the ladies of the GUs are wonderful and I miss the dearly. If we can get more ladies we can make a "Women of the GU" calendar.

Funny how FPW borught everyone of us together. From the message board, to the now defunct Talk City chatroom, to voice chat to instant messenger and eventually the GU.

I can't think of any author I have read before or since that had a core group bond so well. The first GU was like old friends getting together and every year our list of friends grows.

Thank God R.L. Stine didn't have a message board!

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Keith the Elder - 04-10-2005

I was in the Navy at the time. Saw the previews to THE KEEP on the tele. Looked good (I'M a visual/sensual person) wanted to see it, so Sweetie & I scheduled some leave to see it. Unfortunately, I had a cold that day, the next day it was no longer playing. Saw the book in the Navy Exchange when leave was over. Almost didn't buy it (It's so thick,gee it must be over 300 pages, I probably won't read it, ADHD-OCD you know), but I caved and bought it on a Friday afternoon. Started reading it that night. COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN!!!!. Having been what I consider Semi-illiterate (I could not read a book w/o waundering, I.e., (It was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."this is B.S. why do we have to read this crap") I became transformed. I was no longer reading words, the text disappeared and I was having a visual experience(I never knew it could be like this), some one would enter the room and call my name for dinner (or are you gonna' read that book all weekend?) and to my astonishment, the visual would crystallize into the book in my hands. If you have never experienced this, I cannot relate to you in comprehensible terms what this was like, although I imagine this is the norm and my late experience was a delayed AWAKENING of a part of my mind.

I searched far and wide for more FPW w/o success. I began to think he was a one-hit-wonder when Sweetie found THE TOUCH and THE TOMB in a local library when she was helping the MUFFIE (my daughter) with a school assignment. The rest, as they say, is history.

Keith the elder

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Maggers - 04-11-2005

Keith, that's really awesome that FPW transformed your experience of reading. Absolutely phenomenal!

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Keith the Elder - 04-11-2005

Maggers Wrote:Keith, that's really awesome that FPW transformed your experience of reading. Absolutely phenomenal!

I am forever in his debt. Reading has become a joy!

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Maggers - 04-11-2005

Keith the Elder Wrote:I am forever in his debt. Reading has become a joy!

Without sounding self-congratulatory, I have to say I think FPW fans are really special. We have to search and scrounge and go through hell and high water to get his books, especially the older, out of print ones, which, of course, we all want because we become ADDICTED!

There's a reason for such passion. The writing is just that wonderful.

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 04-11-2005

Maggers Wrote:Without sounding self-congratulatory, I have to say I think FPW fans are really special. We have to search and scrounge and go through hell and high water to get his books, especially the older, out of print ones, which, of course, we all want because we become ADDICTED!

There's a reason for such passion. The writing is just that wonderful.

Ain't it da troof.

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - jimbow8 - 04-11-2005

Maggers Wrote:...We all ... become ADDICTED!
Hi, my name is Jim, and I'm an F. Paul Wilson-oholic.

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Keith the Elder - 04-11-2005

jimbow8 Wrote:Hi, my name is Jim, and I'm an F. Paul Wilson-oholic.

Hellloo Jim!