RepairmanJack.com Forums
Firefly / Serenity - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Firefly / Serenity (/thread-1899.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Firefly / Serenity - The Mad American - 10-02-2006

Ken Valentine Wrote:There is good character development while still leaving some aspects of the characters in mystery, and some of the lines in the TV series are outrageously funny.

"If you take sexual advantage of her, you are going to a special level of hell. A level reserved for child molesters . . . and people who talk in the theater."

Ken V.

Well said Ken. I am a big fan of this series/movie as well.

One of my favorite lines is from the episode "Our Mrs. Reynolds" where Mal is talking to the woman who is supposedly his wife. "If someone tries to kill you, well you try to kill them right back".

Firefly / Serenity - Mark S. - 10-02-2006

Ken Valentine Wrote:If a government (the Alliance in this case) is going to start a colony on a new planet or moon, are they going to bring along the latest technology? Or are they going to let the colonists develop things on their own?

And they would develop technology that looks EXACTLY like tech from the 1880s American West. They'll even revert to 1880s fashion, right down to the school marms wearing paisley bonnets. Um, yeah, that makes total sense. Rolleyes

Ken Valentine Wrote:...some of the lines in the TV series are outrageously funny.

"If you take sexual advantage of her, you are going to a special level of hell. A level reserved for child molesters . . . and people who talk in the theater."

Elmore Leonard has a great bit of advice for writers: If it sounds written, then rewrite it.

So much of the dialogue on Firefly sounded written. With some of the characters it worked to great effect. With some of the others, I didn't buy it at all. Maybe that had more to do with an actor's poor performance though.

Firefly / Serenity - Ken Valentine - 10-03-2006

The Mad American Wrote:Well said Ken. I am a big fan of this series/movie as well.

One of my favorite lines is from the episode "Our Mrs. Reynolds" where Mal is talking to the woman who is supposedly his wife. "If someone tries to kill you, well you try to kill them right back".

Yep, that's another good one.

There were so many great lines in that series!

From the first episode:

Mal: "Now you only got to scare him."

Jayne: "Pain is scary."
Simon: "So does it happen a lot? Government comandeering your ship, telling you where to go?"

Mal: "That's what governments are for . . . get in a man's way."
Jayne: "I don't understand why we didn't leave that sob in a pool of his own blood."

Mal: "We'd be dead. Can't get paid if your dead."

Jayne: "Can't get paid if you crawl away like a bitty little bug neither. I got a share of this job. 10 percent of nothing is . . . let me do the math here . . . nothing, add a nothing . . . carry the nothing . . ."

Great series!

Ken V.

Firefly / Serenity - Ken Valentine - 10-03-2006

Mark S. Wrote:And they would develop technology that looks EXACTLY like tech from the 1880s American West. They'll even revert to 1880s fashion, right down to the school marms wearing paisley bonnets. Um, yeah, that makes total sense. Rolleyes

The only paisley bonnet I remember was worn by Mal. Big Grin

(Actually, you're right, there were others, but to me, that was part of the fun of the series.)

Except for the modified Beauregard-LeMat, Jayne had fairly futuristic guns -- as did Mal -- but Zoe used 19th century guns exclusively. Did you notice the 1860 Henry rifle that was used in the episode Heart Of Gold?

It's interesting. Sometimes I can suspend my disbelief and sometimes I can't. On this series, I could . . . and you couldn't.

It's merely a matter of taste.

Ken V.

Firefly / Serenity - Auskar - 01-02-2007

Dr. Trilobite Wrote:I am the biggest Firefly geek in the world.

I was going to argue, but you're probably right.

Still, I like Firefly. I record it every time it is on. The next one in my queue is the one where the Serenity crew protects the house of "ill repute", Mal sleeps with the madam, and immediatly once Inara finds out -- they show a scene of her on the floor of her room, sobbing.

Most people look at Firefly as antihero space opera, or a story with a plot. What makes it different is that it is mostly about character development -- not the plot.

Jane has got to be one of the best characters of all time in a television show.

"I'll kill a man in a fair fight, or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight… If he bothers me, or if there's a woman… Or if I'm gettin' paid. Mostly only when I'm gettin' paid."

Firefly / Serenity - Weatherford - 01-03-2007

I bought the whole series and the movie as a Christmas present to myself...

I think I watched everything in a week - if that long :o Loved it - great fun, and I, too, was able to suspend belief most of the time.... :p

No doubt I will watch these again and again!

Thanks!! Big Grin

Firefly / Serenity - Ken Valentine - 01-03-2007

Weatherford Wrote:I bought the whole series and the movie as a Christmas present to myself...

I think I watched everything in a week - if that long :o Loved it - great fun, and I, too, was able to suspend belief most of the time.... :p

Thanks!! Big Grin

Those were great stories. I'm pleased that you enjoyed them.

Ken V.

Firefly / Serenity - The Mad American - 01-04-2007

Weatherford Wrote:I bought the whole series and the movie as a Christmas present to myself...

Thanks!! Big Grin

I got the series and the movie as a Christmas gift as well. Was very happy to get these. Sat down over the holidays while I had time off and enjoyed them all over again.