RepairmanJack.com Forums
*61 - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: *61 (/thread-857.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

*61 - The Mad American - 04-12-2005

Ken Valentine Wrote:Really good?!? I thought it was GREAT!

Well, he produced and directed Open Range -- my favorite Western -- and did the same with Dances With Wolves.

He also directed The Postman and Waterworld, both of which bombed with the critics, but were commercial successes. They weren't GREAT movies, but for my taste . . . they were decent. That's batting 500 in my book. Big Grin

Ken V.

Got me there Ken. Actually agree with you on Dances with Wolves and Open Range but I think postman and Waterworld were horrible...have never made it through either without falling asleep. (Maybe that says more about my attention span then the movie though Big Grin )

*61 - jimbow8 - 04-12-2005

The Mad American Wrote:Got me there Ken. Actually agree with you on Dances with Wolves and Open Range but I think postman and Waterworld were horrible...have never made it through either without falling asleep. (Maybe that says more about my attention span then the movie though Big Grin )
I like Waterworld (ever seen the extended edition?). I hated Postman (even though it had Tom Petty in it Wink). Dances With Wolves and Open Range were pretty good, maybe a bit too long.

*61 - jimbow8 - 04-12-2005

The Mad American Wrote:I am a Raimi fan as well. He directed what is probably my favorite all time movie "Army of Darkness"...I know, I know its total cheese but the dialogue in that movie still gets me belly laughing every time I see it and I have seen it a TON of times. Big Grin
That is a good one. I recently bought The Boomstick Edition. It was my wish that when Sears and K-Mart combined, they would have changed their name to S-Mart.

"Shop smart, Shop S-Mart!"

jimbow8 Wrote:That is a good one. I recently bought The Boomstick Edition. It was my wish that when Sears and K-Mart combined, they would have changed their name to S-Mart.

"Shop smart, Shop S-Mart!"

That would have been so funny. I would have shopped there.

"It's a trick, get an axe" Big Grin

jimbow8 Wrote:I like Waterworld (ever seen the extended edition?). I hated Postman (even though it had Tom Petty in it Wink). Dances With Wolves and Open Range were pretty good, maybe a bit too long.

Extended version?!? You mean there is a longer more drawn out and boring version then the one I have tried to watch? Gonna have to take the big old pass on that one....unless I need something to help me sleep that is.

*61 - Ken Valentine - 04-12-2005

Maggers Wrote:"For Love of the Game" was directed by Sam Raimi, whose work I really like. I'm surprised I missed this. Thanks for the head's up, Ken, I'll check it out.

My favorite baseball movie, without a doubt, is "Field of Dreams," followed by "Bull Durham," both starring Kevin Costner.

There's just something about Kevin Costner swinging a bat or on the mound that makes me very happy. Big Grin

To me, Bull Durham was . . . Ehhh . . . okay. Field of Dreams was pretty darn good. I thought, For Love of the Game, was the best!

Ken V.

*61 - KRW - 04-13-2005

The Mad American Wrote:Extended version?!? You mean there is a longer more drawn out and boring version then the one I have tried to watch? Gonna have to take the big old pass on that one....unless I need something to help me sleep that is.

I respecet your opinion, but Kevin Costner has never disapointted me. Even " Waterworld"! I'll watch it it right after a Mad Max film and feel satisfied. (It also stands alone for something out of the ordinary)

KRW

*61 - Kenji - 04-13-2005

My favorite baseball movies...

1, Field of Dreams
2, Natural
3, Bull Durham
4, Major League
5, For Love of the Game

I've never seen *61 yet. I like Billy Crystal's movies. So if I have an opportunity, I wish I can see it. Smile

*61 - jimbow8 - 04-13-2005

KRW Wrote:
The Mad American Wrote:Extended version?!? You mean there is a longer more drawn out and boring version then the one I have tried to watch? Gonna have to take the big old pass on that one....unless I need something to help me sleep that is.
I respecet your opinion, but Kevin Costner has never disapointed me. Even " Waterworld"! I'll watch it it right after a Mad Max film and feel satisfied. (It also stands alone for something out of the ordinary)

KRW
The extended version of Waterworld has only been shown on cable TV as far as I know. I keep waiting for them to release a Special Edition DVD. It has extra footage scattered throughout and a lengthy segment at the end.

*61 - Scott Miller - 04-13-2005

KRW Wrote:I respecet your opinion, but Kevin Costner has never disapointted me. Even " Waterworld"! I'll watch it it right after a Mad Max film and feel satisfied. (It also stands alone for something out of the ordinary)
KRW

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only Costner fan out there. I won't defend all of his choices, The Bodyguard and The Postman were particularly bad, but he has more hits than misses. Thirteen Days, Tin Cup, The War, JFK, No Way Out, Silverado, and American Flyers are all movies I thought were better than average. And he is getting excellent reviews in The Upside of Anger playing an ex-major leaguer of all things.

I'll subject myself to all slings and arrows by saying that I actually enjoyed Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, bad accent and all.