RepairmanJack.com Forums
Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Movies - Was the remake better than the original (/thread-2730.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - palsunstar - 02-24-2008

RichE Wrote:EVIL DEAD 2 was a remake!

No. It was a sequel. The story took place immediately after The Evil Dead. And Army of Darkness was the 3rd & final installment of the film series.

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - RichE - 02-24-2008

palsunstar Wrote:No. It was a sequel. The story took place immediately after The Evil Dead. And Army of Darkness was the 3rd & final installment of the film series.

Actually Sam Raimi said it was a remake and he wanted to put a diffrent spin on the original idea.

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - palsunstar - 02-24-2008

RichE Wrote:Actually Sam Raimi said it was a remake and he wanted to put a diffrent spin on the original idea.

Really? When you watch the movies back-to-back, the stories flow...more or less...as a series. Evil Dead 2 even shows flashbacks to the first film IIRC.

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Blake - 02-24-2008

RichE Wrote:Actually Sam Raimi said it was a remake and he wanted to put a diffrent spin on the original idea.

That's not my recollection at all. My understanding was that ED2 was a sequel, and the first parts were essentially a recap of the first movie that were reshot with new people because Raimi couldn't get permission to use clips from the first film. I may have to break out the commentary track again, if I find some time....

Actually, here's the entry from Wikipedia, for what it's worth:

"Evil Dead II is not a remake of the first movie and was never intended to be. For legal reasons, Sam Raimi couldn't use footage from the first movie in order to make a recap at the beginning that would let the audience know what had happened in the first movie that led to the events of Evil Dead II. So he had to re-shoot some key scenes from the first, but with a simplified plot. For example, the recap was streamlined to show only Ash and his girlfriend (now played by a different actress) going to the cabin in the woods, instead of going with their friends as well. Approximately 7 minutes into Evil Dead II, the final scene from The Evil Dead plays again (Ash standing outside the cabin alone, turning around when a spirit is approaching him) and the story of Evil Dead II begins."

Blake

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Keith the Elder - 02-25-2008

palsunstar Wrote:I dunno! I may be willing to overlook Keanu Reeves if Jennifer Connelly is involved...in the film. Also a rumor that John Cleese will have a part? Hmmmmm. That COULD work for me!

I reserve judgment. :eek:

John Cleese as Gort. Will he do the "silly walk?"

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - GeraldRice - 02-25-2008

Flinx Wrote:The threads Movies =worse= Than The Books? and Movies Better Than The Books They're Based On got me thinking about movies that get remade.
Can a remake be better than the original?

How about Little Shop of Horrors? No, really, how about it? I never saw the original, but I love the '86 remake.

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - palsunstar - 02-25-2008

GeraldRice Wrote:How about Little Shop of Horrors? No, really, how about it? I never saw the original, but I love the '86 remake.

I agree with this. The 1986 musical version was much more entertaining for me.

That said, you should still view the original just to see Jack Nicholson's part (which was later handled by Bill Murray in the musical version)...Funny stuff!

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Kenji - 02-25-2008

GeraldRice Wrote:How about Little Shop of Horrors? No, really, how about it? I never saw the original, but I love the '86 remake.

I like remake. I saw original, but it was not good.

I like Steve Martin and Bill Murray at dentist's office. Big Grin

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - RichE - 02-28-2008

The Showtime film "ON THE BEACH" I thought was in many ways even better than the 1959 film which starred Gregory Peck. I think it was one of Armand Assante's best roles. Also great was Bryan Brown and Rachel Ward!

Movies - Was the remake better than the original - Kenji - 02-29-2008

RichE Wrote:The Showtime film "ON THE BEACH" I thought was in many ways even better than the 1959 film which starred Gregory Peck. I think it was one of Armand Assante's best roles. Also great was Bryan Brown and Rachel Ward!

I saw it a few years ago on cable channel. Japanese title was "The End of the world".

At the last scene I couldn't stop tears. Very scary and sad.