RepairmanJack.com Forums
Dead Man's Chest - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Dead Man's Chest (/thread-1769.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Dead Man's Chest - cobalt - 07-17-2006

Marc B. Wrote:Nothing too special... the dog was being worshipped as a God.
Okay, good.......the dog with the keys! Hopefully the natives don't try to eat him, like they were to with Jack. Thanks Marc!!!!

Dead Man's Chest - Terry Willacker - 07-17-2006

cobalt79 Wrote:Okay, good.......the dog with the keys! Hopefully the natives don't try to eat him, like they were to with Jack. Thanks Marc!!!!

That's why it was my favorite scene. I was worried about that dog.

Dead Man's Chest - Jamo - 07-31-2006

Oh yes....a miracle that Green Peace or WWF didn't say anything against it Big Grin

But very funny Big Grin

Dead Man's Chest - Scott Hajek - 08-01-2006

I liken this movie to "Empire Strikes Back." The first Pirates stands alone like "Star Wars." This second film requires a sequel and cannot stand alone. Plus, DMC was darker than the first, had more effects and even had the "fatherly" revelation.

All in all, I love these movies. The first will always be better because of the freshness and the unexpected pleasure of it. C'mon, who else here was expecting a GOOD movie based on a Disney World attraction? No one took it seriously as a blockbuster film. But, it paid off in spades and it ranks as one of my favorite movies. And, this trilogy will rank well above the "Prequel" Star Wars Trilogy, but behind the Classic Star Wars, Indiana Jones and LOTR trilogies. I guess that this is number 4 on the list. And, that is based on the assumption that Pirates 3 will be as good as 2.

Dead Man's Chest - Jamo - 08-01-2006

Scott Hajek Wrote:I liken this movie to "Empire Strikes Back." The first Pirates stands alone like "Star Wars." This second film requires a sequel and cannot stand alone. Plus, DMC was darker than the first, had more effects and even had the "fatherly" revelation.

All in all, I love these movies. The first will always be better because of the freshness and the unexpected pleasure of it. C'mon, who else here was expecting a GOOD movie based on a Disney World attraction? No one took it seriously as a blockbuster film. But, it paid off in spades and it ranks as one of my favorite movies. And, this trilogy will rank well above the "Prequel" Star Wars Trilogy, but behind the Classic Star Wars, Indiana Jones and LOTR trilogies. I guess that this is number 4 on the list. And, that is based on the assumption that Pirates 3 will be as good as 2.

I think you're right! No one would have expected the success of themovies, and so they were much more better, because the expectations weren't so high, like for the second movie!

Dead Man's Chest - saynomore - 08-14-2006

Saw this movie three times. Ten times better than the first. Reminds me of the first time I saw Indiana Jones: watched it three times in a row. Pirates was fun, funny, non-stop action sequences, witty, droll (Kraken--long a vs. Kraken--short a), interesting characters (sexy voodoo priestess--va-va-voom), and great set-up for part three. I dismissed part one because of its repetitiveness, but now that I see it as one part of a three part series, I understand its repetition. Great movie. Can't wait for the extras on the dvd.

AC

P.S. Even the crying babies in the audience didn't faze me. I was that wrapped up with the movie.

Dead Man's Chest - MacEachaidh - 09-13-2006

G'day Folks,
An Aussie here.

I finally saw Dead Man's Chest a few days ago, and I'm afraid all I can say is: dull, dull, dull.

It tried so hard to capture the magic and rollicking humour of the first one, but for my money it just became a try-hard. Biggest problem: the script was simply bloody awful !! There was almost no humour, certainly none of the wit of the first one, and the movie as a whole was all too loud and too slow and too convoluted and too ... well, too lots of things, really.

With all that plot exposition and drab dialogue they had to wade through, and with everything at the same dynamic from start to finish (ie fraught in its energy but unhoned in its pacing), I felt that none of the accomplished actors (like Johnny Depp, Jack Davenport and Jonathan Pryce) got a chance to strut their stuff, while the others (like Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley) didn't get the propping up they usually need and so were simply left to show how incredibly untalented and boring they are on-screen.

Wow, can you tell I was disappointed with this flick ?! Big Grin

I guess I'll go and see number 3, to see if the series can redeem itself and also because I've become something of a Verbinski fan (hey, anyone's allowed a mis-step or two !), but I don't think I'll be watching DMC again or bothering to buy it on DVD.

Dead Man's Chest - cobalt - 09-13-2006

G'Day and welcome aboard MacEachaidh!

Dead Man's Chest - jimbow8 - 09-13-2006

Welcome, MacEachaidh.

I would love to hear how to pronounce your name, because I can't figure it out. Wink

Dead Man's Chest - MacEachaidh - 09-13-2006

G'day Folks,
and thanks for the cheery welcome ! Big Grin

My name's very easy to say !! (if you speak the right language !! Wink)
I'm Australian-born, but my family is Gaelic (from the Hebrides, off the west coast of Scotland). My name here is my family name, and it's pronounced ma-KECH-ee, where the "CH" makes the sound like at the end of the Scottish word "loch", not like in "church". See ? Easy !!

Just by way of information, I'm not usually as opinionated (well, I don't think I am !!) as my post on DM'sC maybe makes me sound -- I was just amazed how disappointed I was with that movie, on so many aspects.

But I've really come to these forums (fora?) because I've recently become a huge FPW fan. I read "Black Wind" quite a few years back and thought it was a great book, but somehow never followed up checking out other stuff the bloke had written. But now ... I've read through the Adversary Cycle back-to-back, thought the way he brought all the stories together at the end was fantastic, and have started reading Repairman Jack in sequence. Having a great time with them ! I've just started "The Haunted Air" last night.

Again, thanks for the welcomes.
dùrachdan (regards),
Bran