RepairmanJack.com Forums
Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? (/thread-867.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 04-12-2005

law dawg Wrote:Yeah, but what? I know TKD was mentioned in The Tomb but that is all I remember. And TKD is a sport, not really SD (self defense), which is what RJ needs.

And am curious as to why RJ gets healthy so quick when he suffers such debilitating injuries in his books. Adreneline will work in the short run but he comes back awful quick. FPW is a medical practioner and knows this. So, my question is : is it literary license (always a justifiable reason - selling books is first and foremost) or is RJ gettng some help?

Also more on what FPW thinks his workouts should be. There was only that one segment in The Tomb as I recall. RJ is looking for fighting functionality so he needs to be show AND go - strength training, muscular endurance, flexibility as well as a cardio aspect. I train using certain modalities to incorporate all of these aspects into one regimen as having segmented training leads to a segmented capacity. And you must train at unsustainable intensities to optimize physical capacity.

Law Dawg, if it comes to =another= brawl, I want you on my side. :p But yeah, maybe Jack is getting just a teeny bit o' help from The Ally. And why not? Jack will be needed in the big showdown.

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - Keith the Elder - 04-12-2005

law dawg Wrote:And am curious as to why RJ gets healthy so quick when he suffers such debilitating injuries in his books. Adreneline will work in the short run but he comes back awful quick..

Clean livin', I guess

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - Maggers - 04-12-2005

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Law Dawg, if it comes to =another= brawl, I want you on my side. :p But yeah, maybe Jack is getting just a teeny bit o' help from The Ally. And why not? Jack will be needed in the big showdown.

That was my thought, Mike, a little help from the Ally can heal you up right quick.

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - jimbow8 - 04-12-2005

Maggers Wrote:That was my thought, Mike, a little help from the Ally can heal you up right quick.
Let us not forget that he wore the necklace in Rakoshi (The Tomb). That helped his healing along in that book. Maybe the Ally transfered some of the power into him. Just a thought. Rolleyes

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 04-12-2005

Maggers Wrote:That was my thought, Mike, a little help from the Ally can heal you up right quick.

Maggers, when Rasalom makes his play, I'm sure you'll be down at Central Park, at the Hole-in-the-World, roaring defiance and shooting at the hell-beasts until your rifle barrel grows red-hot. And then roar louder, take the rifle of a fallen brave, and shoot some more. Am I lying? (I'll be there too--shall we make it a date? :p )

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - law dawg - 04-13-2005

jimbow8 Wrote:Let us not forget that he wore the necklace in Rakoshi (The Tomb). That helped his healing along in that book. Maybe the Ally transfered some of the power into him. Just a thought. Rolleyes
Ah, nicely noted. Had forgotten about that...

So its either literary license, the Ally, the necklace or Jose Canseco then? Wink

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - law dawg - 04-13-2005

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Law Dawg, if it comes to =another= brawl, I want you on my side. :p But yeah, maybe Jack is getting just a teeny bit o' help from The Ally. And why not? Jack will be needed in the big showdown.
Would love to be there. Smile

And I agree the Ally would be well served in serving up Jack a few bennies - he earns them by God.

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - KRW - 04-14-2005

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Maggers, when Rasalom makes his play, I'm sure you'll be down at Central Park, at the Hole-in-the-World, roaring defiance and shooting at the hell-beasts until your rifle barrel grows red-hot. And then roar louder, take the rifle of a fallen brave, and shoot some more. Am I lying? (I'll be there too--shall we make it a date? :p )

You guys do what you have to do their, and I 'll do what I have to do in Arizona. As soon as we have cross contenintal travel, I''ll meet you at Bull McKabes to swap stories! Big Grin How'd that be?

KRW

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - Maggers - 04-14-2005

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Maggers, when Rasalom makes his play, I'm sure you'll be down at Central Park, at the Hole-in-the-World, roaring defiance and shooting at the hell-beasts until your rifle barrel grows red-hot. And then roar louder, take the rifle of a fallen brave, and shoot some more. Am I lying? (I'll be there too--shall we make it a date? :p )

You got a date, Mike. I'll be raging and scared s***less at the same time, but I'll be there. I won't go quietly. No I won't.

KRW Wrote:You guys do what you have to do their, and I 'll do what I have to do in Arizona. As soon as we have cross contenintal travel, I''ll meet you at Bull McKabes to swap stories! Big Grin How'd that be?

KRW

You've got a date, too, Ken. We'll all be there to raise a glass (for me my new fav is Diet Coke with lime *grin*) and toast the brave new world.

Where'd Jack learn to shoot and fight? - thisisatest - 04-14-2005

fpw Wrote:Don't forget -- he was, shall we say, enhanced at the time.

No. But I have a fairly good idea of how he learned. I'm thinking of somewhere down the line writing a couple of Young Jack novels to show his development.

Steve D
In "WATCHMEN," the graphic novel, Rorschach had similar fighting abilities and skills (as Jack), which were natural to him. I invite fans of this book to share in the comparisons between Roschach and Jack. For instance, Roschach took down his stronger foes by attacking their weaknesses (such as breaking a little finger or spilling water on the floor and tossing a live wire into the spill where the foe stood). Of course, Jack has his devious side, as with the tires from the helicopter, a side which Roschach does not share; however, they both have their dark side, a side Roschach is comfortable in for the sake of justice but which Jack needs to be pushed into, usually for the sake of vengeance.

Excuse me, I've begun to write an essay. Wink