RepairmanJack.com Forums
Comments on Stephen King - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Comments on Stephen King (/thread-3218.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Comments on Stephen King - cobalt - 02-24-2009

The Green mile was good. I loved The Stand and Dreamcatcher. The Dark Tower series was great also......right up till the end...... when I sent the book sailing against the wall...lol

Comments on Stephen King - Bear - 02-26-2009

Hey Everyone. I'm a newbie here, but a long-time FPW reader.

I stopped reading Stephen King years ago when anyone you liked in the stories always died and he started to work his political views into his characters thoughts. I read for enjoyment AND escape - I prefer not to be depressed or to have to hear about politics. Unfortunately, King's books became both frustrating and depressing. I'll never read another.

In addition to FPW, has anyone here ever read any David Gemmell books?

Bear

Comments on Stephen King - cobalt - 02-27-2009

I've not heard of David Gemmel. What type of books does he write?

Oh....and welcome to the board Bear.

Comments on Stephen King - Murphy - 02-27-2009

cobalt79 Wrote:I've not heard of David Gemmel. What type of books does he write?

Oh....and welcome to the board Bear.

Welcome Bear.

I have read nearly everything that is available for David Gemmell in the United States, which is not so complete as all that.

David writes largely fantasy fiction, albeit a low magic, high on personal consequence fantasy where the good guys aren't all that good, nor do they necessarily win. My favorite character of his, and perhaps one that translates best over to Repairman Jack, is the Waylander.

Waylander very much lives by his own rules - and is driven to become the person he is in his response to tragedy. However, his response was to become an assassin, and rather than containing the rage he let it consume him, so in a way he might be a good cautionary tale of what Jack could be if he gave the anger within him a lot freer reign.

Gemmell passed away last year, I think, of a heart attack. Too bad, he gets a lot of story into not so many pages.

Comments on Stephen King - Auskar - 02-28-2009

I read Stephen Kings early works and they were good. He completely lost me as a reader with The Tommyknockers. I have not read a Stephen King novel since.

Gemmel I quit reading when he was doing science fiction and I could not follow up on the next novel about the chtorr. At the time, I think he did not want to write it or something. He lost me, too.

This is my first post in about a year.

Comments on Stephen King - law dawg - 03-01-2009

Auskar Wrote:I read Stephen Kings early works and they were good. He completely lost me as a reader with The Tommyknockers. I have not read a Stephen King novel since.

Gemmel I quit reading when he was doing science fiction and I could not follow up on the next novel about the chtorr. At the time, I think he did not want to write it or something. He lost me, too.

This is my first post in about a year.
First Auskar, welcome back!

Second, try the Gunslinger novels from King. Loved them. Awesome.

Comments on Stephen King - webby - 03-01-2009

I was into Stephen King big time for many years. You might even say I was his "number one fan" (but not like the one in Misery). Lately I haven't been impressed - as others have posted, there's too much recycling going on.

But over the years, Mr. King has given me many, many hours of enjoyment with most of his stories and novels. My favorite is The Stand - I used to read it once a year (unabridged) just because I loved the story so much.

Another couple of books that stand out are The Regulators (published under the Richard Bachman name) and Desperation. Read these two back-to-back for a little brain-twisting what-is-reality fun. Wink

Comments on Stephen King - PicardRex - 03-02-2009

I have to agree with the above post, King it seems is recycling many of his ideas, have you read the new short story book, Just After Sunset? the best of those are the recycled ones, the worst are just purposeless drivel, worst of all though he confirms this with his notes on the stories at the end, saying basically some of the ideas popped in his head and he just wrote them down as is.

But on the flip side, when King is good he is great, i mean the Stand or IT, or Salems Lot, the Shining and most of the DT series are truly awesome stories.

Comments on Stephen King - AngelWitch - 03-02-2009

Back in the day I loved reading his work, but after time I pulled away. Towards the ending of his books it seems like he didn't know what to write for an ending so it got very childish. I grew tired of his work then moved to Koontz after about 2 years I grew weary of him too, till my ex barked about some guy named Wilson, from then on I been very faithful.

Comments on Stephen King - GeraldRice - 03-05-2009

Anyone ever heard this Stephen Lightfoot guy and his theory that King killed John Lennon?