RepairmanJack.com Forums
Introducing Our New Wiki! - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Introducing Our New Wiki! (/thread-3006.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Introducing Our New Wiki! - dejo - 08-30-2008

I'm still not sure these ideas will satisfy my "vision" but maybe I'm expecting miracles. The problem is it's not really a binary issue (spoilers or no spoilers) but a multi-dimensional problem, because the interconnections are that complex. There may be some information that should only be displayed if a person has read a combination of works. If we restrict Reborn information to the Reborn page that means we can't acknowledge any connections. I understand this is a complex problem and therefore I anticipate a rather complex solution. (One of my axioms in life: "Complex problems require complex solutions." One of my other favorites being: "The average consumer is an idiot." Sorry to tangentalize.) Hope this helps you to understand where I'm coming from and where I'd like to take SPAMEL™. Ah, if only I was independently wealthy, I could take the week or two to just concentrate on this challenge full-time and see if I can get it licked.

Introducing Our New Wiki! - Wapitikev - 08-30-2008

dejo Wrote:I'm still not sure these ideas will satisfy my "vision" but maybe I'm expecting miracles. The problem is it's not really a binary issue (spoilers or no spoilers) but a multi-dimensional problem, because the interconnections are that complex. There may be some information that should only be displayed if a person has read a combination of works. If we restrict Reborn information to the Reborn page that means we can't acknowledge any connections. I understand this is a complex problem and therefore I anticipate a rather complex solution. (One of my axioms in life: "Complex problems require complex solutions." One of my other favorites being: "The average consumer is an idiot." Sorry to tangentalize.) Hope this helps you to understand where I'm coming from and where I'd like to take SPAMEL™. Ah, if only I was independently wealthy, I could take the week or two to just concentrate on this challenge full-time and see if I can get it licked.

Upon re-reading the posts, Idea 1 and Idea 2 do not really embody Dejo's SPAMEL™ ideal...but without a relational database system for each individual Interconnection, it would be difficult to show Interconnections for works that a user has read and NOT display Interconnections for the other works. This can, of course, be accommodated with ASP and mysql (or even other ways). However, while I am not an expert on the new Wiki, it seems far more of a flat-file type system than a relational database system.

What tools did you use to get your test Wiki to work Dejo?

If we know that, then Stepahnie can let us know if the tiddlywiki can incorporate those tools.

Suggestion: assuming we can get SPAMEL™ to work somehow, it would be interesting, instead of completely eliminating Interconnections to works that the user has not read, to replace them with a simple teaser that states "Connection to (other work that the user has not read yet)". For example, if I have read By the Sword but not Black Wind, instead of eliminating the details of the Interconnections that By the Sword has to it, I would get a simple message for interconnections to Black Wind like: "Kuroikaze, see also Black Wind" or "Gaijin Samurai, see also Black Wind." That way, I will have to go read Black Wind in order to get the juicy details. Simply eliminating any reference to interconnections for Black Wind would not allow the user to expand his knowledge of "the cannon."

-Wapitikev

Introducing Our New Wiki! - Silverfish - 08-30-2008

Wapitikev Wrote:Upon re-reading the posts, Idea 1 and Idea 2 do not really embody Dejo's SPAMEL™ ideal...

I know, but it's the closest I could get. I know what Dejo wants, but I don't know how to do it.

Quote:However, while I am not an expert on the new Wiki, it seems far more of a flat-file type system than a relational database system.

That's a good description of how I think of this TiddlyWiki. I don't know everything that it can do, though. It came pre-made, and I just put my content into it. If you have a million years of free time, you could try getting info from TW Help.

Quote:What tools did you use to get your test Wiki to work Dejo?

If we know that, then Stepahnie can let us know if the tiddlywiki can incorporate those tools.

That's assuming I actually know what this TiddlyWiki can do. I've only figured out the basics like linking tiddlers together and saving changes (I learnt that the hard/frustrating way, and I had to get help from the Google group at that. I was ready to give the whole thing up), and making words bold.

Keep in mind too please, that this is fun for me right now. If it gets so complicated that I want to throw my computer out a window, then this project will run aground. I want a simple Wiki, not one so complex that no one else will be able to help edit it without a two-hour lecture from me on how things work, not one where I have to worry about what information I put where. I want this to be intuitive and well organized and most of all FUN.

I'll try my best to keep spoilers out of entries, and I'll put spoiler warnings where appropriate, but I can't work miracles. <-THIS is what I will commit to doing.

Stephanie

Introducing Our New Wiki! - Silverfish - 08-30-2008

This (http://science.tiddlyspot.com/) shows what a real TiddlyWiki can do. Now do you understand how simple mine is?

Stephanie

Introducing Our New Wiki! - dejo - 08-31-2008

Wapitikev Wrote:What tools did you use to get your test Wiki to work Dejo?
I used MediaWiki, the very software that powers Wikipedia. It's based on PHP and MySQL.

Introducing Our New Wiki! - Silverfish - 09-01-2008

Update Sept 1

fpw Wrote:8/14 - Silverfish from the website Forum created a wiki devoted to moi. I get verklempt every time I think of it.

I was really surprised and pleased to read this in the newsletter today!

I added a counter to the site today.

Stephanie