RepairmanJack.com Forums
Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? (/thread-2686.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - beowulf - 01-21-2008

GeraldRice Wrote:The fact that I knew what it USED to be (if you looked at any of the websites, particularly the slusho one) didn't help. The battle scenes are so intense! Waiting for this one is a mistake, IMO.

Not sure what you mean, the Slusho site, for me anyway, did little to clear up what the creature was. It eludes to how they find it, but not the nature of the creature.

I have to agree with everyone who had a positive experience. The movie really puts you right there with the average Joe trying to survive such a horrifying experience. It did not bother me that I only saw the creature a few times, those few times were enough. You knew it was there, and you didn't want to see it, because if you did see it, you were probably dead. Kudos to the young actors who really made you feel the adrenaline of the moment, I was...literally...on the edge of my seat.

I am sure there will be sequels, this story begs for more. Mr. Abrams has done a great job of creating a novel monster with a whole new twist on the "attack" experience. I hope the next movie will be from a more omniscient point of view.

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - jacobm - 01-21-2008

When i think of the way that LOST has progressed over the seasons, with it's ambiguous explanations and lack of answers, i suppose i expected the same from CLOVERFIELD.

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - GeraldRice - 01-21-2008

I can reveal this because I think I'm mistaken about what the creature is. I THOUGHT it was a person who had mutated. It may actually be a creature that was sleeping on the ocean floor and disturbed by a drilling company in Japan.

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 01-21-2008

GeraldRice Wrote:I can reveal this because I think I'm mistaken about what the creature is. I THOUGHT it was a person who had mutated. It may actually be a creature that was sleeping on the ocean floor and disturbed by a drilling company in Japan.

"Now here I am just trying to get my good rest on the ocean floor and a Japanese drilling company won't let me sleep. That pisses me off so bad...well, I'm gonna be up for awhile...might as well trash New York."

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - beowulf - 01-21-2008

I believe the "slusho" beverage also had something to do with it. Slusho is a subsidiary of the company which was doing the drilling. It seems that contents of Slusho, which make you "happy," were discovered will deep drilling. I am quite certain that what ever the "special ingredient" is, has some connection with Clovie (the name viewers have affectionately bequeathed upon the creature). Also, Rob was leaving for Japan to become VP of "Slusho" marketing.

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - Keith the Elder - 01-22-2008

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:"Now here I am just trying to get my good rest on the ocean floor and a Japanese drilling company won't let me sleep. That pisses me off so bad...well, I'm gonna be up for awhile...might as well trash New York."

LOL, Bluesman.

Reminds me of Captain Sensible

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pqC563bX_w

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - Scott Miller - 01-22-2008

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:"Now here I am just trying to get my good rest on the ocean floor and a Japanese drilling company won't let me sleep. That pisses me off so bad...well, I'm gonna be up for awhile...might as well trash New York."

Actually I heard that he wanted to give Tokyo a break.

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - saynomore - 01-25-2008

saynomore Wrote:All favorite movies of mine. I have no problem with the shaky camera. Also saw Cannibal Holocaust (don't see this--actual animal killings and cruelty). Look forward to Diary of the Dead by George Romero, who carries the same shaky camera premise into the living dead genre.

So, I take it that Cloverfield is a hit or a miss. I'll ignore the fact that people have been walking out of this movie in droves and respect the fact that it pulled in 41 million bucks so far (and this is a three day weekend). I'll see it because I want to be like Mike. Wink

AC

I saw the movie today. Liked it enough to want to buy it on dvd. Think I'll enjoy it even more with the rewind and pausing. No one at the showing I attended complained or walked out, but the outgoing group who saw previous showing were complaining. I think Miracle Mile is the best movie comparison since you have to let the movie wash over you to get the full impact that THIS IS HAPPENING NOW. Otherwise, you start noticing the camera and the whirl of the air-conditioning and your suspension of disbelief goes out the window. I can't recommend this movie to everyone, but if you liked Mike's four-movie comparison above, you'll enjoy Cloverfield.

AC

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - Tony H - 01-25-2008

The thing with Cloverfield is clever viral marketing. I haven't seen the film yet, but the marketing seems to have gone on for a long while, even before the cryptic teaser trailers launched with Transformers. If you search for the characters on MySpace you will get a thorough background of the story, more than was delivered in the movie.

The pages are all conencted, if you find one character you will find the others on their friends list. read the blogs, the friends comments and slowly a bigger picture is revealed. I feel I know more going in than the movie itself will reveal. The pages lead up to the day of the surprise party with simple comments like "see you tonight" and then they end. Kind of creepy knowing what happened on the night of the party.

I am at work now and can't access myspace, but search for the characters and enjoy the read. As for me, i am going to Branson, MO this weekend for a little R&R and will take in a screening there.

Have a great weekend guys!

Okay, so Who Isn't Going to Go See Cloverfield? - jacobm - 01-26-2008

Hot off the presses, i just got back from Cloverfield and have to admit i liked it. It wasn't a knock out but it was entertaining. Several scenes were, i guess unnerving is the best word to describe it, not really scary. I think the complaining someone had earlier mentioned was the somewhat disappointing-leave you up in the air-ending, which i would expect from Abrams. And, as a person who easily gets motion sickness, i did not feel any ill effects at all...although the soda was flat.