RepairmanJack.com Forums
Raise your hand if you're gonna wait! - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Raise your hand if you're gonna wait! (/thread-248.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Raise your hand if you're gonna wait! - LVerner - 07-23-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:Exactly! The HORROR.......!!!

For Barry and LVerner: Do you own copies of Nightworld already, since this version will become more scarce once the new version is printed?

No, I don't. I have the RJ books (except Gateways, which not a single bookstore in this damned town had when I checked last night) and The Keep and that's it. Oh, and Nightkill.

I don't really feel any great need for the current version of Nightworld. I can see people who have already it would want a copy for sentimental reasons since the version they read first would be the "real" but for me the "real" version will be the edited one.

Still....who knows? After I read the AC I might be a bigger fan of that than I am of the RJ series (although that's hard to imagine) and then I might want the original Nightworld to compare of just for completeness sake.

I'll pick one up the next time I'm at the used books store.

Thanks for mentioning it.

Lee
Lee

Raise your hand if you're gonna wait! - LVerner - 07-23-2004

cyber-jack Wrote:Not reading Nightworld?

Saving it until all the other Repairman Jack books have been written?

The thought alone is, well, disturbing.

I read Nightworld some time ago, and I don't feel that I missed anything by reading the later Repairman Jack books after the fact. Nightworld is one of my favorite FPW books, and I would be amiss to let that jewel sit on a shelf unread for time out of mind. There are an infinite number of books / stories that could be written inbetween The Tomb and Nightworld...I guess I'm just not a firm believer in saving the best for last. I read FPW's stuff as soon as it hits the shelf...sooner if I possible.

For God's sake, people...What if you get hit by a bus? Are you prepared to die not knowing how the Adversary Cycle ends?

Well, right now I'm not really interested in the Adversary Cycle and wouldn't even be reading it if Repairman Jack weren't a character. Remember, the only FPW books I've read are RJ and Nightkill.

Of course, all that may change once I read The Keep, which I'll probably start this weekend.

Lee

Raise your hand if you're gonna wait! - Ken Valentine - 07-23-2004

cyber-jack Wrote:Not reading Nightworld?

For God's sake, people...What if you get hit by a bus? Are you prepared to die not knowing how the Adversary Cycle ends?

I read NIGHT WORLD before the other RJ books came out. But Even if I hadn't, I wouldn't be able to wait. There are some things for which I have almost infinite patience . . . this isn't one of them. Big Grin

Fortunately, it isn't a matter of right or wrong . . . it's merely a matter of taste. And this helps to remind the rest of us to put up spoiler warnings.

Ken V.

Raise your hand if you're gonna wait! - Biggles - 07-24-2004

Ken Valentine Wrote:I read NIGHT WORLD before the other RJ books came out. But Even if I hadn't, I wouldn't be able to wait. There are some things for which I have almost infinite patience . . . this isn't one of them. Big Grin

Fortunately, it isn't a matter of right or wrong . . . it's merely a matter of taste. And this helps to remind the rest of us to put up spoiler warnings.

Ken V.

I'm not known for my patience. That's why I never considered becoming a medical doctor (I'd always be losing my patients). Wink

Raise your hand if you're gonna wait! - Animagess - 07-24-2004

Yes, against all the warnings, I too blissfully skipped over the Adversary Cycle and went straight for NW (more because of availability concerns than choice...). Reprisal is the only book I've not yet got a hold of... but it's only a matter of time.

I wouldn't mind if NW was never rewritten; it kind of amuses me to think that there's a bubble of unresolved time and space, in which our beloved RJ struggles with issues his NW counterpart could never dream of. But if history must be rewritten for the sake of clarity, so be it. I'll be waiting.

Raise your hand if you're gonna wait! - LVerner - 07-26-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:Exactly! The HORROR.......!!!

For Barry and LVerner: Do you own copies of Nightworld already, since this version will become more scarce once the new version is printed?

Hell, it's scarce now, evidently. I just bought the AC cycle books I didn't have (I had The Keep and, of course, The Tomb) online and Nightworld was sort of pricey for a used p/b.

But I've got them. If the RJ books go on for a long time (and I hope they do) I may break down and read Nightworld. I don't have to make that decision yet, I've got Gateways, Crisscross and four AC books yet to read.

And yesterday I found a good h/b copy of Stalkers with the RJ novella A Day in the Life at the used bookstore.

Lee

Raise your hand if you're gonna wait! - Peter - 07-26-2004

Not a decision I have to make, I simply can't get hold of a copy of Nightworld, kind of makes all this seem academic don't you think?

Raise your hand if you're gonna wait! - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 07-26-2004

Peter Wrote:Not a decision I have to make, I simply can't get hold of a copy of Nightworld, kind of makes all this seem academic don't you think?

Go to bn.com. Click onto "used and out-of-print." That's how I got my copy.

Raise your hand if you're gonna wait! - Barry Lee Dejasu - 07-27-2004

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Go to bn.com. Click onto "used and out-of-print." That's how I got my copy.

And once you get it, don't read it. Wink Just think of it as a collector's item and sort of keep it stored somewhere.

Raise your hand if you're gonna wait! - Biggles - 07-27-2004

Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:And once you get it, don't read it. Wink Just think of it as a collector's item and sort of keep it stored somewhere.

Just received my Dark Harvest first of Nightworld, thanks to Steve Black (and eBay). Now this will be a cherished possession, especially after I have Paul sign it! Big Grin Life may suck (usually) but today it's good, damn good.