RepairmanJack.com Forums
Scariest Books You've Read - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Scariest Books You've Read (/thread-233.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Scariest Books You've Read - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 07-19-2004

SDSwami Wrote:Sorta like the other thread on here, but I was thinking more of a Non-FPW line.

I always liked Needful Things. One moment that will always stand out to me was when I read this the first time during my senior year. Towards the end of the book when all hell breaks loose, there's a scene where Ace sets off some dynamite under the bridge in town. I was reading this part while in study hall one day and at the exact same moment where the bridge goes up, someone had pulled the fire alarm in the school. I think I came a few feet off my chair when that happened.

My favorite short story is definately The Body Politic by Clive Barker. I've never read a story that made me laugh this hard but at the same time think to myself "What if this is really true? Would I ever know?". If you've never read this, it's located in the book The Inhuman Condition.

Overall, the scariest books I've read would have to be Salem's Lot, The Keep, and The Damnation Game.

When I was 10, I read a book by Frank Edwards called STRANGER THAN SCIENCE. It was a collection of purportedly true tales of the unexplained and paranormal. I couldn't sleep that night. While no individual story was especially frightening, their collective impact smacked my young mind upside the head. Since then, I've read hundreds of books on UFOs, fortean events, and parapsychology. But I'm big now--after reading a new paranormal book, I hardly ever have to sleep with the light on anymore. Wink

Scariest Books You've Read - sll - 07-20-2004

I see Noelie causually notes the Exorcist. I was 14 when that book came out. Up to that point I read only science fiction book (Edgar Rice Borroughs' "John Carter of Mars" series is the best). Anyway I digress, at 14 that book scared the bejeezas out of me.

Scariest Books You've Read - Kenji - 07-20-2004

crimson Wrote:For me it would have to be "Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami. I just finished all 600 plus pages days ago. Just the way some of the charachters (most about 15 years old) brutally kill each other with no remorse or any emotion is just chilling. great book, easily one of my favorites.

Welcome to board,crimson.

Battle Royale was translated to English? That's amazing.

Scariest Books You've Read - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 07-20-2004

Kenji Asakura Wrote:Welcome to board,crimson.

Battle Royale was translated to English? That's amazing.

Is that the same BATTLE ROYALE that was made into a movie a few years ago? I saw the film; it was truly chilling.

Scariest Books You've Read - catman9 - 07-20-2004

Every Dead Thing, Dark Hollow and The Killing Kind by John Connolly. Each more terrifying than the last.
Salem's Lot, King; Summer of Night and a Winter Haunting, Dan Simmons; The Hour Before Dark, Douglas Clegg; Under the Overtree, James A Moore and much of the short fiction of Harlan Ellison

Scariest Books You've Read - Kenji - 07-22-2004

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Is that the same BATTLE ROYALE that was made into a movie a few years ago? I saw the film; it was truly chilling.

Yes that's right! But I dislike this movie.

Battle Royale was made into a movie, and this movie was social problem in Japan. The movie was R-15, but many junior high students went to see the movie in theater, and similar violence incident happened in school. Aaaah! recent kids........ :mad:

Scariest Books You've Read - crimsontarheel - 07-22-2004

i had mostly read westerns with a little mafia for a change of pace, i was a freshman in college when a guy on my floor gave me salem's lot, i was reading it on a greyhound bus going to columbus, ohio and got scared and thought this is great from that moment on i was a horror fan.

Scariest Books You've Read - InfinityLtd - 07-22-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:I didn't particularly care for it either, so make sure you post your second reading opinion.

The characters were good (this is where King's brilliance lies, the characters), but the story was kinda flat.....similar to Dreamcatcher.

I finished my re-read of "The Tommyknockers" last night, and I will say that I did like it a little better than last time. My big problem with the book (and it takes a LOT for me to say this, believe me) is that it was too long. IMHO, I think almost all of Part II could have been easily dropped (the part where we find out what happened to other individual characters).

Anyway, it has moved out of the "Oh, Bob, this is AWFUL" area inhabited by Gerald's Game and Dreamcatcher--sorry, read it twice and hated it--and up into the "Eh, it's okay" area--with books such as Firestarter and From a Buick 8.

Two more months until "The Dark Tower"!

Scariest Books You've Read - law dawg - 07-22-2004

The Gunslinger series is one of the greatest I have ever read. My fave series -RPJ (of course), Wheel of Time (Jordan), Gunslinger (King), Spenser (Parker), Rain (Eisler), Sword of Truth (Goodkind), Harry Potter (Rowling) and Discworld (Pratchett (especially Commander Vimes and Death)).

Scariest book is IT (King).

My opinion only. Your mileage may vary.

Scariest Books You've Read - jimbow8 - 07-22-2004

InfinityLtd Wrote:I finished my re-read of "The Tommyknockers" last night, and I will say that I did like it a little better than last time. My big problem with the book (and it takes a LOT for me to say this, believe me) is that it was too long. IMHO, I think almost all of Part II could have been easily dropped (the part where we find out what happened to other individual characters).

Anyway, it has moved out of the "Oh, Bob, this is AWFUL" area inhabited by Gerald's Game and Dreamcatcher--sorry, read it twice and hated it--and up into the "Eh, it's okay" area--with books such as Firestarter and From a Buick 8.

Two more months until "The Dark Tower"!
I don't know if any King books occupy my "this is awful" category, but I haven't read Gerald's Game. I like Firestarter and From a Buick 8. The botton of the King barrel for me would be Tommyknockers, Dreamcatcher, Hearts in Atlantis (mostly because the movie was SO AWFUL), Eyes of the Dragon (because he didn't have a good grasp of the genre).