RepairmanJack.com Forums
Citizen Jack and Richard Westphalen - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Citizen Jack and Richard Westphalen (/thread-2293.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Citizen Jack and Richard Westphalen - crimson - 04-19-2007

[SIZE="6"]SPOILERS[/SIZE]

The reason Jack was going to go legit was because of the baby. Now the baby is gone. Now I haven't read the updated version of Nightworld but when Glaeken first talks to Jack he's distant as usual and wanted to be refered to as "just Jack". It seems that the events of Nightworld would put the systems(databases) of the world in chaos, so Jack might not have to swindle the system to assume an identity. Jack, Gia, and Vicky could just move and call themselves something else. I'm just hoping Jack drags his feet on the subject for the next 10 books(I'm wishing)

Citizen Jack and Richard Westphalen - Ken Valentine - 04-19-2007

bones weep tedium Wrote:You didn't mention OCD, so I guess you're not?:confused:

Well, not that I know of anyway. Wink

Quote:He hangs around Central Park at night, dressed like a pleb trying to get himself mugged so he can smack the mugger around. Once or twice in the books he also accepts cash from strangers to fix their problems, often using a bit of the rough stuff to get the job done.

All of that is true, but he's still not initiating the use of force. Whether he goes into the park at night or is doing a fix-it job for hire, he's responding with force to those who do initiate it. As it is said in THE TOMB, he lies to liars, cheats cheaters, steals from thieves, and answers with violence to those who initiate violence. In essence, if no one tried to lie, cheat, steal, or use violence, he'd be out of a job.

Ken V.

Citizen Jack and Richard Westphalen - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 04-23-2007

bones weep tedium Wrote:I think FPW mentioned that in his radio interview.

Who is FPW? And what is a radio?

Citizen Jack and Richard Westphalen - bones weep tedium - 04-25-2007

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:Who is FPW? And what is a radio?

:confused:

wha?

Citizen Jack and Richard Westphalen - BK Akitas - 04-25-2007

crimson Wrote:[SIZE="6"]The reason Jack was going to go legit was because of the baby. Now the baby is gone. Now I haven't read the updated version of Nightworld but when Glaeken first talks to Jack he's distant as usual and wanted to be refered to as "just Jack". It seems that the events of Nightworld would put the systems(databases) of the world in chaos, so Jack might not have to swindle the system to assume an identity. Jack, Gia, and Vicky could just move and call themselves something else. I'm just hoping Jack drags his feet on the subject for the next 10 books(I'm wishing)

Nope= though the baby was the catalyst for Gia pushing Jack to get this done as soon as possible since she wanted him on the birth certificate. Its been mentioned several times that he would like to marry Gia and be a real dad to Vicky, but to do so he needs to be 'on the books'.
No matter what identity he takes on I can't see Jack as asking to be called anything other than "just Jack".
Its interesting how a specific character can take on a full, rich, life of their own and go 180 degrees off the path from the original purpose. Sometimes that means you have to go back and either 1) explain the inconsistencies or contradictions from the past 2) ignore them all and pretend they never existed 3) slowly but surely mold all continuing events to lead back there and be explained reasonably
Ever see the Highlander movies and series? Boy did they have some fixing to do! Most of the issues just took the # 2 option

Citizen Jack and Richard Westphalen - bones weep tedium - 04-25-2007

BK Akitas Wrote:Its interesting how a specific character can take on a full, rich, life of their own and go 180 degrees off the path from the original purpose.

It's just a shame when that full, rich character development eradicates the unique appeal of the character. You can be a 'proper' father to a child even if you're not married to their mother.

After all the business he's gone through with the Otherness vs the Ally, I can't imagine Jack buying into the religious angle of marriage. After that it's just to get a piece of paper and society's approval, something I wouldn't have thought to be too imprtant to The Tomb's Jack.

If RJ ever becomes CJ, he'll just be another private eye.

Citizen Jack and Richard Westphalen - Ken Valentine - 04-25-2007

bones weep tedium Wrote:After all the business he's gone through with the Otherness vs the Ally, I can't imagine Jack buying into the religious angle of marriage. After that it's just to get a piece of paper and society's approval, something I wouldn't have thought to be too imprtant to The Tomb's Jack.

It isn't important to Jack. But it is important to Gia. That's why he was going through with it.

Ken V.

Citizen Jack and Richard Westphalen - Silverfish - 04-25-2007

BK Akitas Wrote:..Sometimes that means you have to go back and either 1) explain the inconsistencies or contradictions from the past 2) ignore them all and pretend they never existed 3) slowly but surely mold all continuing events to lead back there and be explained reasonably...

New word! Ok, words: retroactive continuity, or retcon @ Wiki.

Just thought I'd share. (Some interestig stuff in the article.)

Stephanie

Citizen Jack and Richard Westphalen - Dave - 04-25-2007

Silverfish Wrote:

New word! Ok, words: retroactive continuity, or retcon @ Wiki.

Just thought I'd share. (Some interestig stuff in the article.)

Stephanie
Which often leads nicely to the Fanwank @ Wiki.

I like sharing Smile

Dave

Citizen Jack and Richard Westphalen - BK Akitas - 04-25-2007

bones weep tedium Wrote:It's just a shame when that full, rich character development eradicates the unique appeal of the character. You can be a 'proper' father to a child even if you're not married to their mother.

After all the business he's gone through with the Otherness vs the Ally, I can't imagine Jack buying into the religious angle of marriage. After that it's just to get a piece of paper and society's approval, something I wouldn't have thought to be too imprtant to The Tomb's Jack.

If RJ ever becomes CJ, he'll just be another private eye.

wasn't talking about Rj of the series, I was trying to make a point about how the original character was intro'd to us in a short story ( A Day In The Life), made another appearance in Nightworld, and then since he became so popular in his own story (The Tomb) he got a full series years later. That kinda changed the entire persona that should appear in Nightworld. Jack has gone through growth an dchanges and development of his own that wasn't there in those early books. Is this making sense to anyone?

And like Ken said, it was important to Gia, therefore its important to Jack. Is it truly important to us or him as a character? Not really. A rose by any other name still kicks ass.