RepairmanJack.com Forums
Firefly / Serenity - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Firefly / Serenity (/thread-1899.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Firefly / Serenity - Blake - 09-25-2006

Mike Hanson Wrote:I concede to your superior wisdom.

Well, I appreciate the concession, but I wasn't really trying to "win"... just present a different point of view. Smile

Mike Hanson Wrote:He is presently developing a WONDER WOMAN script for Producer Joel Silver. It will be interesting to see if Joss gets the Director's chair, and how said flick will turn out.

Hmmm... I don't know what to think of that. I have little interest in a Wonder Woman movie regardless of who's doing it. But it could surprise me....

Blake

Firefly / Serenity - yellogecko - 09-26-2006

I'm a Firefly fan. I really enjoyed the series. I liked the characters and was genuinely saddened when it was cancelled. I loved the idea of "Outlaw Josey Wales" meets "Buck Rogers" ...( I might have just severely dated myself).

I love TV shows, but I am not a fan of TV. I have grown tired of seeing really original, good new shows aired every year only to have them canceled after 5 or 6 episodes. I hate to get involved in a storyline only to be left high and dry. I am thrilled but shocked that LOST has been on for as long as it has. Usually when I really like a show, it gets tossed:

Firefly
Invasion
Threshold
The Visitor
Brimestone
The Others
Earth2
Dead Like Me
The Tick
Dark Angel
The Job
Farscape
Wolf Lake
Space Above and Beyond
John Doe
Tough Crowd
Carnivale
Family Bonds

Hell, I could go on. Some of you may think that some or all of the above shows sucked, but I enjoyed them.

Just watch, Heroes, though cool as hell, will be next in TV Hell.

Firefly / Serenity - Mike Hanson - 09-26-2006

yellogecko Wrote:I love TV shows, but I am not a fan of TV. I have grown tired of seeing really original, good new shows aired every year only to have them canceled after 5 or 6 episodes. I hate to get involved in a storyline only to be left high and dry. I am thrilled but shocked that LOST has been on for as long as it has. Usually when I really like a show, it gets tossed:

Firefly
Invasion
Threshold
The Visitor
Brimestone
The Others
Earth2
Dead Like Me
The Tick
Dark Angel
The Job
Farscape
Wolf Lake
Space Above and Beyond
John Doe
Tough Crowd
Carnivale
Family Bonds

I was a big fan of Brimstone, The Others, Dark Angel, and Space: Above and Beyond.

Mike

Firefly / Serenity - jimbow8 - 09-26-2006

yellogecko Wrote:I'm a Firefly fan. I really enjoyed the series. I liked the characters and was genuinely saddened when it was cancelled. I loved the idea of "Outlaw Josey Wales" meets "Buck Rogers" ...( I might have just severely dated myself).

I love TV shows, but I am not a fan of TV. I have grown tired of seeing really original, good new shows aired every year only to have them canceled after 5 or 6 episodes. I hate to get involved in a storyline only to be left high and dry. I am thrilled but shocked that LOST has been on for as long as it has. Usually when I really like a show, it gets tossed:

Firefly
Invasion
Threshold
The Visitor
Brimestone
The Others
Earth2
Dead Like Me
The Tick
Dark Angel
The Job
Farscape
Wolf Lake
Space Above and Beyond
John Doe
Tough Crowd
Carnivale
Family Bonds

Hell, I could go on. Some of you may think that some or all of the above shows sucked, but I enjoyed them.

Just watch, Heroes, though cool as hell, will be next in TV Hell.
Don't forget The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.

Also, FYI, The Tick (cartoon) Season 1 was just released on DVD.

Firefly / Serenity - Blake - 09-26-2006

jimbow8 Wrote:Don't forget The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.

I'm looking forward to finally seeing that. I stumbled into a Bruce Campbell book signing here last week, and in my rush to get things for him to sign, I picked up his newest book and the Brisco DVD set. He actually signed "Brisco" under his name. Smile Kinda made me wish I'd brought up some Evil Dead stuff, too. I'd love to have "Ash" under his signature. Smile

Anyway, I haven't seen Brisco yet, but I love Bruce Campbell (heck of a nice, friendly guy in person, btw), and I've heard good things about the show.

Blake

Firefly / Serenity - Scott Miller - 09-26-2006

Blake Wrote:I'm looking forward to finally seeing that. I stumbled into a Bruce Campbell book signing here last week, and in my rush to get things for him to sign, I picked up his newest book and the Brisco DVD set. He actually signed "Brisco" under his name. Smile Kinda made me wish I'd brought up some Evil Dead stuff, too. I'd love to have "Ash" under his signature. Smile

Anyway, I haven't seen Brisco yet, but I love Bruce Campbell (heck of a nice, friendly guy in person, btw), and I've heard good things about the show.

Blake

Brisco County is on DVD? I'll need to be looking around for it; it was one the last shows I tried to catch on a weekly basis. I loved how they would work in the invention of a modern contraption into each episode.

Firefly / Serenity - Mark S. - 09-26-2006

Mike Hanson Wrote:...at the end of the day, it is ultimately flawed because of Whedon's slavish devotion to his "old west" conceit. The show's twanging theme music over the opening credits is incredibly grating and has you hating it by the time you watch the very last episode. Where there should be a wide gamut and range of technology among the various outer worlds Whedon uses a very weak rationale to create a multitude of old west tech societies on the majority of planets visited by the Serenity crew (which no doubt made the studio purse-holders quite happy).

I had the exact same reaction.

I so wanted to love Firefly. I'd heard about it long before it came on and thought the premise was brilliant. I'd admired some of Whedon' previous work and so was very hopeful that he could pull this off. But he didn't.

I can totally buy the notion that due to limited resources, off-planet colonists might revert to older forms of tech like wagons, riding horses, etc. But I find it just plain conceited and silly to propose that people hundreds of years from now would go back to the exact same technology and fashion of the 1870s. It made no sense by any stretch of logic.

Look at it like this:

Suppose someone wanted to take the themes, conflicts, and myths of the Arthurian tales and interpret them in a gangster story. It's a great idea. Might even be brilliant if done well. But you've got to make it look authentic and genuine. If Luca Brasi goes in to talk to Don Corleone and he's wearing a 12th century suit of armor, it's going to look silly and make no sense. The look of Firefly was silly and made no sense.

Firefly / Serenity - Mark S. - 09-26-2006

yellogecko Wrote:Just watch, Heroes, though cool as hell, will be next in TV Hell.

I thought writing was a bit stiff and heavy and parts, but I still enjoyed the show and will keep watching. At least until NBC cancels it.

Firefly / Serenity - BrettM - 09-27-2006

Mark S. Wrote:But I find it just plain conceited and silly to propose that people hundreds of years from now would go back to the exact same technology and fashion of the 1870s. It made no sense by any stretch of logic.
My initial reaction was the same. But, I began to think ... if I wanted to set up the highest possible level of sustainable technology for a start-up colony, would I invent everything from scratch, or would I start with existing models of technology and social structure from a past society that was successful? (See, for example, the colony where Lazarus Long met Dora in "Time Enough for Love". Supplied by starship, yet resembling the Old West.) And they did make modifications on that model, drawing on useful elements going back to medieval times, which is reflected in many of the self-made entertainments practiced by the colonists.

The only thing that really bugged me is that they must have required all the colonist applicants to watch old western movies for weeks and study the speech patterns and accents, which makes no sense at all. But, this is TV, so I'm sure that was done to make sure the less-sophisticated viewers "got it" or something.

Firefly / Serenity - Scott Miller - 09-27-2006

Mark S. Wrote:I thought writing was a bit stiff and heavy and parts, but I still enjoyed the show and will keep watching. At least until NBC cancels it.

Pretty much echoes my thoughts on it: it's worth tuning in again next week. It kinda reminds me of J. Michael Straczynski's comic, Rising Stars, in that the heroes aren't quite sure of what to do with their powers or even want them. It has loads of potential, but I think they'll have to pick up the pace a bit to keep their viewership interested.