RepairmanJack.com Forums
How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? (/thread-860.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Keith the Elder - 04-05-2005

AsMoral Wrote:I had about 60 pages typed when i entered the B. Dalton in the mall and found Nightworld sitting on the shelf. Eager I flipped open the cover and was thrilled to find that it was indeed the conclusion to the AC. Then I was overcome with a bitter rage. "That bastard stole my thunder!" (No offense Paul.) And even more insulting was that it was so much better than MY story.

I am over it now...sort of.

-Tony

Tony

Have you considered delving into the vast untapped and declared "not gonna happen" world of The Keep PREQUEL . I've been waiting years to read it, don't really have time to write it; you are our LAST BEST HOPE seein' as how the man says he ain't a gonna do it.

k the e

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - The Mad American - 04-05-2005

Glad many others posted that they were turned on to FPW by the movie "The Keep".

I actually got turned onto FPW when I was a young'un and read Fangora religiously. One month they had a special on the special effects and maiking of the Keep. I was very intrigued so I went out and found as many FPW books as I could. Luckily I pretty much found the entire Adversary cycle within a short time. Been hooked every since.

And I actually read the book before I saw the Keep and thought the movie was horrible as most others on this board do.

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Tony H - 04-05-2005

Keith the Elder Wrote:Tony

Have you considered delving into the vast untapped and declared "not gonna happen" world of The Keep PREQUEL . I've been waiting years to read it, don't really have time to write it; you are our LAST BEST HOPE seein' as how the man says he ain't a gonna do it.

k the e

No, I haven't. My delve into the current adversary cycle was harrowing enough. Topped with my entry into The NIghtworld Chronicles (Having reread this recently I am shocked at how proud I was of my story.) I am tapped out of attempting anything remotely resembling FPWs world. That and I don't have a lawyer on retainer.

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Sam - 04-05-2005

Hmm...can't recall when or even where but I bought a paperback of Night World and thought it would make a GREAT movie. Even had my cast thought out. After that I kept looking for any FPW books and came across Legacies. **The local stores rarely have his books on hand, the fools.** I was immediately hooked by Wilson's skill, RJ's charisma, and I love the supernatural. What more could I ask for?

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - APhew - 04-05-2005

My first was "The Tomb" back in 1999. I then found "The Keep" at the local library and next up was scouring all the used book stores in my area. Not long after that I discovered the old message board and joined the handful of other people there (which turned into a bucketfull, then a whole washbasin, etc.) To say I was obsessed with owning everything the man had written would be an understatement. It was a PASSION. Lots of credit card debt later I've acquired quite a collection. I just wanted to read everything, I didn't even know what a limited/lettered edition was until I started collecting FPW. So my passion was not so much as a collector of rare editions, as it was for ANY edition as long as I hadn't read it before. Through the Message Board and suggestions from the man, I discovered a whole new group of authors that I'd never heard of. From these authors I learned of others and it all snowballed. I have F. Paul Wilson to thank not only for his great work, but also for the discovery of a wealth of other excellent authors. It goes without saying that I owe him a great debt. So I've decided to erect a monument to his name. It will be a life-size representation of the picture that's in the "12 Scary Authors" calendar and placed in the first public park that I can sneak it into. Right now all I can afford is paper mache, but with your help I can probably upgrade to casting molds out of plaster. Donations can be sent to...

Big Grin

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Maggers - 04-05-2005

I found "The Keep" when it first came out in paperback, when would that be...1981? or thereabouts. I was hooked. I looked and I looked and I looked for more FPW books, but there were none until "The Tomb," which I promptly inhaled. FPW has pretty much been the air that I breathe, except for a mid-90's hiatus, where I was involved in ... well, things that left no time for reading. I've read every book written by FPW except for "Midnight Mass" and "Wheels Within Wheels," which are on my list of things to do. I've read most of them twice and some three times or more (like "The Keep" and "The Tomb").

I also own at least one copy of every FPW book, and in most cases, I've got two - a dog-eared paperback and the hard cover version.

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Medusa - 04-05-2005

I had read The Tomb and The Keep a LONG time ago. Loved them. Still have those very same books. I though how neat Repairman Jack was. Then years later I found Conspiracies and lo and behold - Repairman Jack was back! I got online B&N and found everything from The Tomb to Gateways. I couldn't believe I had got that long without realizing there was a series. So I preceded to get ALL the RPJ books and branched off to the Advesary Cycle (again, not realizing those books were out). Now I'm getting all the other FPW books. I am waiting EAGERLY for Infernal.

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Biggles - 04-05-2005

I started with The Keep when it was still a current release in PB. Fortunately, I saw the movie AFTER reading the book, or I may never have read it! I bought The Tomb and The Touch in PB when they came out, then found the PBs of the second half of the cycle in the early '90s as they were coming out. I occasionally also ran into Paul's shorts (stories, not items of apparel) in books of horror fiction. Then I got Soft and Others, etc. Now I snap up anything I can find.

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - IAmSpartachris - 04-05-2005

First a Thank You for the warm welcomes.

It's great to hear how each one of you came across your first FPW book, and your adventures in seeking out and finding more.

Once again, I look forward to chatting with you in the future.

How did you first get turned on to FPW/RJ? - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 04-05-2005

IAmSpartachris Wrote:First a Thank You for the warm welcomes.

It's great to hear how each one of you came across your first FPW book, and your adventures in seeking out and finding more.

Once again, I look forward to chatting with you in the future.

Welcome to the board, Spartachris. I found Paul's work completely by chance.* I work at B&N Lincoln Triangle and part of my never-ending, unappreciated-for-my-faithful-service, underpaid job is to go down to the basement receiving area and bring up newly-arrived performing arts books. A misplaced copy of LEGACIES was on the PA zone cart. I liked the cover...cool, I thought. I saw King's and Andrew Vachss' recommendations, gave it a shot, and have since bought everything by Paul I could find. By the way, you describe yourself as a reading-junkie (I'd bet most of the gang are). If you haven't done so already, check out Vachss' "Burke" novels. Burke is similar to Jack in many ways. (Lacking Jack's sweet nature, though.) *"By =chance=, Bluesman Mike?" (Cue spooky organ music and eldritch laughter.)