RepairmanJack.com Forums
I need help - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: I need help (/thread-592.html)

Pages: 1 2

I need help - keoghh - 01-07-2005

Brianmack5 Wrote:I have finished all of FPW's books and need something else to read. does anyone have any other suggestions on things that are good right now? It just doesn't seem liek there are any authors out there like him that can put so many things in a book.

Love FPW, but also like Howard Phillips Lovecraft and am a great Fan of Brian Lumley.
The Necroscope of his gets off to a slow start, stick with it, it really rocks.
Is a good mix of horror/sci-fi, mostly horror though.

I need help - Ken Valentine - 01-07-2005

Brianmack5 Wrote:Just want to tell all of you thanks for the much needed help. And tell you all I was wrong about reading all of FPW's stuff. I have not read nightworld because I want to wait and see if it is going to be revised.

It will be revised, but they will be rather small revisions. Like Jack not having Ralph-the-Corvair . . . things like that.

Ken V.

I need help - Mike - 01-20-2005

undefinedundefinedundefined

Have you tried Robert R. McCammon? Some of my favorites by this author
include:

1) Swan Song
2) Boy's Life
3) Stinger
4) Gone South.

This author does some pretty interesting character development and can
keep your eyes glued to his books.
Another author you might try is Rex Miller. He wrote the "Chaingang"
mini-series. The titles to this series are:

1) Slob
2) Chaingang
3) Savant
4) Butcher

Unfortunately, Rex Miller died some time ago and there will be no future
books in this series unless his heirs sell rights to a ghost writer.

Brianmack5 Wrote:I have finished all of FPW's books and need something else to read. does anyone have any other suggestions on things that are good right now? It just doesn't seem liek there are any authors out there like him that can put so many things in a book.

I need help - ccosborne3 - 01-20-2005

You can't go wrong with James Ellroy, one of the best crime fiction writers ever. Start with The Black Dahlia. After you're hooked move on to The Big Nowhere. Finish it up with L.A.Confidential. Ellroy changed his writing style for the sequel, White Jazz leaving verbs out of his prose but it's still good stuff. Each sentence is like it's fired from a machine gun.

I need help - stacyzinda123 - 01-21-2005

For horror stuff, I'd recommend Rosemary's Baby (a great quick read) by Ira Levin or Ghost Story by Peter Straub. I just finished that one and it wasn't everything it's cracked up to be, but still a good read. Or, if you're into more classic stuff, I love Frankenstein. It's not for everybody though. Half the people I recommend it to get mad at me Sad . I also really like the Preston/Childs books. I tried those on the recommendation of other people here (Aphew and Maggers) and they're right Big Grin . They're awesome books! Lots going on there like in the RJ books!

I need help - jimbow8 - 01-21-2005

stacyzinda123 Wrote:For horror stuff, I'd recommend Rosemary's Baby (a great quick read) by Ira Levin or Ghost Story by Peter Straub. I just finished that one and it wasn't everything it's cracked up to be, but still a good read. Or, if you're into more classic stuff, I love Frankenstein. It's not for everybody though. Half the people I recommend it to get mad at me Sad . I also really like the Preston/Childs books. I tried those on the recommendation of other people here (Aphew and Maggers) and they're right Big Grin . They're awesome books! Lots going on there like in the RJ books!
I'm one of those that didn't like Frankenstein. I liked some of the concepts and parts of the story, but I got bored with it about ½ - ⅔ of the way through. I MUCH prefer Dracula, but I understand that isn't for everyone either. Big Grin