RepairmanJack.com Forums
Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? (/thread-3550.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - Ken Valentine - 09-18-2009

Legion Wrote:Look at what he did to that guy on the subway who decided the time had come to go postal.
Fifty feet or less? That takes calmness and deliberation, not superior marksmanship.

And he was walking toward the guy, so his next shots were progressively closer.

Ken V.

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - kanuck slave - 09-19-2009

Ken Valentine Wrote:Fifty feet or less? That takes calmness and deliberation, not superior marksmanship.

And he was walking toward the guy, so his next shots were progressively closer.

Ken V.
good point. having never carried myself, i think that the 9mm makes for better marksmanship.(i.e. headshots) anyone else wanna jump in on this?

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - cobalt - 09-19-2009

kanuck slave Wrote:good point. having never carried myself, i think that the 9mm makes for better marksmanship.(i.e. headshots) anyone else wanna jump in on this?

You have a better chance of hitting center mass.....chest or abdomen...than you do of a head shot. The head shot could be your second tap. Big Grin

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - Sigokat - 09-19-2009

9mm sucks...no stopping power when you really really need it.

Personally, I don't like Glocks either. I think they are crap and I don't trust the safety mechanism.

But cobalt is right. Center mass is the way to go...all that head shot crap is just for the movies...and SF...and Jack ain't a SF operator. Big Grin

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - murelz - 09-20-2009

Ken Valentine Wrote:When he got rid of the 45, he went to an AMT (Arcadia Machine Tool) 380 "Back-up."

Ken V.
Oops, lol. I went back and found it. You're right. Don't I feel sheepish now.

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - Ken Valentine - 09-20-2009

kanuck slave Wrote:good point. having never carried myself, i think that the 9mm makes for better marksmanship.(i.e. headshots) anyone else wanna jump in on this?
9mm is a good round, but it's not a matter of marksmanship. That (markmanship) is more dependent on sight alignment and the inherent accuracy of the gun.

What 9mm does have is slightly lower recoil which makes for faster shots -- it takes less time to pull the gun out of recoil and line up the sights for the next shot. (Compared to say the 45 ACP.)

Ken V.

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - Ken Valentine - 09-20-2009

sigokat Wrote:9mm sucks...no stopping power when you really really need it.
That depends on the bullet design more than anything else.

Being in the military, you're limited to round-nose, full-metal-jacket ammo. (That's a Geneva Convention thang.) With this kind of ammo, the 45 ACP doesn't have all that much stopping power either.

If you're shooting at a human, both bullets will go right through your target. Unless you happen to hit a large bone mass. As a comparison, the Remington "Golden Saber" hollow point 9mm round has a 124 grain bullet which has a muzzle velocity of 1125 feet per second from a 4-inch barrel. This gives it a muzzle energy of 348 foot pounds.

The Remington Golden Saber 45 ACP, which fires a 230-grain bullet at 875 feet per second from a 5-inch barrel, has 391 foot pounds of muzzle energy.

Ken V.

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - Yeratel - 09-22-2009

I didn't used to like Glocks much, until I got to try one out. I carry a Glock 30 now instead of a Colt 1911, but I use a holster made for it, which protects the trigger from contact until the gun is drawn. If I were carrying a Glock in a nylon small of the back holster as described in the book, I'd keep an empty chamber, too. Glocks are like a double action revolver in that all it takes is a tug on the trigger to fire. With a regular soft holster and a chambered round, Jack could wind up getting accidentally shot in the ass.

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - arm1978 - 09-22-2009

I happen to know the Glock weapon very well.

There is no safety on the Glock. In fact, the trigger itself functions as the safety. Hence, when you have a chambered round inside your Glock, treat the trigger like a kill-switch. Dont touch it until you are ready to kill somebody. Also, when carrying concealed, most operational types, I would imagine, prefer an open style holster, with no snaps/locks. This makes for more seamless draw action when the shit hits the fan... This is also a liability. Your enemy also has access to your weapon.

So if you dont have one chambered, you know it. You know when you draw you need to chamber. It is one smooth motion from hip/back, load round, sights on target. If someone takes your weapon, you can focus on disarming the person while they try to figure out why the weapon is not firing.

Also, Jack has kids around. That is scary with a Glock. One slip-up (leaving on the counter when you think someone is not around) and you may end up hating yourself for life.[Image: icon9.gif]

Two gun related problems in Ground zero- Gunnies? Opinions? - Sigokat - 03-24-2010

I carry without a round chambered, safety off. This way I know that all I have to do is charge the slide, chamber a round, and fire. No need to fuzz with a safety.