RepairmanJack.com Forums
Interviews at WritingRoom.com - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Interviews at WritingRoom.com (/thread-3160.html)

Pages: 1 2

Interviews at WritingRoom.com - Libby - 11-21-2008

LolaRennt Wrote:Do libraries still have file cards?? I haven't been in a library for far too long. I tend to buy books, rather than use the library. I should use the library - I'd be a lot richer...

They do up here.........:dontknow:

Interviews at WritingRoom.com - Silverfish - 11-21-2008

They've long since disappeared from libraries here.

Stephanie

Interviews at WritingRoom.com - Aprilis - 11-22-2008

So what happens when the computers go down at the library? No one can find any books? Who has the dewey decimal system memorized?

Interviews at WritingRoom.com - Gard - 11-22-2008

LolaRennt Wrote:Do libraries still have file cards?? I haven't been in a library for far too long. I tend to buy books, rather than use the library. I should use the library - I'd be a lot richer...

What's a "library"?

Interviews at WritingRoom.com - Wapitikev - 11-23-2008

Aprilis Wrote:So what happens when the computers go down at the library? No one can find any books? Who has the dewey decimal system memorized?

That's what staff are for. Most Masters of Library Science grads (if they are worth the air they take up) have the major numbers in Dewey and Library of Congress Classifications memorized. Even the non MLIS staff (if they've been there more than 10 minutes) have a general idea of what is on each shelf (even if they don't know what number it is).

If your staff are completely useless, make them bring you the classification books out of the back and you can use them to find the number for the subject of the book you are wanting to use.

IMHO, the only thing anyone really needs to know about finding books in their local library, if the computer catalogue goes down, is that FPW's books are filed in the fiction collection under WIL, in alphabetical order.

Heh.

-Wapitikev

Interviews at WritingRoom.com - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 11-23-2008

Libby Wrote:Thank you.Smile:o I live in the Appalachia of the North, so I can understand the library file card. They kinda suck.:yesnod:

I have very fond memories of going through file cards...hee-hee... Why, I could tell you--this was while Grant was president...or was it Andy Johnson?...I served with Grant at Vicksburg...'twas in the Year of the Comet, was it?...when I met Belinda at the square dance...oh, her father didn't care for me...but he softened when I told him I was a Free Silver man...

Interviews at WritingRoom.com - gbw - 11-24-2008

Thanks for linking to the FPW interview.

Also, interesting website (writingroom.com) As an aspiring writer I may create an account there. I've been putting off getting involved in a writer's portal or forum, but I need more feedback. So, thanks again.

BTW if "the man" reads this post, I'd like to say that whenever my stories call for a character that's a doctor, I usually name the character Dr. Wilson in tribute.

Interviews at WritingRoom.com - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 11-24-2008

gbw Wrote:Thanks for linking to the FPW interview.

Also, interesting website (writingroom.com) As an aspiring writer I may create an account there. I've been putting off getting involved in a writer's portal or forum, but I need more feedback. So, thanks again.

BTW if "the man" reads this post, I'd like to say that whenever my stories call for a character that's a doctor, I usually name the character Dr. Wilson in tribute.

gbw, welcome to the board. But let me clue you in here, since you're new--Paul knows all, sees all...speaks but little.

That's what it said in my fortune cookie, anyway.:confused: