RepairmanJack.com Forums
Cthulhu - The Movie! - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Cthulhu - The Movie! (/thread-2998.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Cthulhu - The Movie! - jimbow8 - 08-11-2008

Legion Wrote:Well... I see your point there, but even that might be doable. It all depends on whether or not you have narration, even in the smallest degree. If not you have to shape the dialouge to show or at least hint at the inner turmoil.

This was, imo, what Call of Cthulhu dealt with so effectively by making it a silent film. The text handled that. It also kept the dialogue (since there was none) from seeming corny.
Quote:The other half of that equation is cinematography, which is why Hitchcock was a master.

The rest lies in Casting. Tori Spelling... not so much.:cryin:
What, you don't want to see Miskatonic 90210? Big Grin

Cthulhu - The Movie! - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 08-11-2008

jimbow8 Wrote:This was, imo, what Call of Cthulhu dealt with so effectively by making it a silent film. The text handled that. It also kept the dialogue (since there was none) from seeming corny.

What, you don't want to see Miskatonic 90210? Big Grin

HAW!!:p

Cthulhu - The Movie! - Wapitikev - 08-11-2008

Kenji Wrote:I'll watch it in a theatre or DVD. Sounds good! Cool

Save it for DVD...it has 5.5 out of 10 on IMDB.

-Wapitikev

Cthulhu - The Movie! - Wapitikev - 08-11-2008

jimbow8 Wrote:I quite liked Call of Cthulhu, and also Dagon and Dreams in the Witch House. There was another one which I thought held fairly well to the story, The Resurrected ???

I enjoyed From Beyond far more than Re-animator...so I hope that's not the one you're trying to recall.

-Wapitikev

Cthulhu - The Movie! - jimbow8 - 08-11-2008

Wapitikev Wrote:I enjoyed From Beyond far more than Re-animator...so I hope that's not the one you're trying to recall.

-Wapitikev

I thought Re-Animator was a fun, over-the-top little film. I don't remember much of From Beyond. But it wasn't either of those. It ended with two people wandering through a dark basement with pits in the floor...... It wasn't great, but was very moody and atmospheric - in theme with HPL

Cthulhu - The Movie! - Scott Hajek - 08-12-2008

From Beyond had it's moments. But Re-Animator? Absolutely Classic!

Cthulhu - The Movie! - tenebroust - 08-12-2008

Wapitikev Wrote:I enjoyed From Beyond far more than Re-animator...so I hope that's not the one you're trying to recall.

-Wapitikev

I think it was The Resurrected he was thinking of. The story of Joseph Curwen

Cthulhu - The Movie! - dejo - 08-12-2008

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:See, our gang here might be enchanted by a good Lovecraft film. But it would be art house. Not a big-time blockbuster.
I don't see this film as blockbuster, though. It's an independent film produced by studios whose names I've never heard of. Not that that's gonna make it enchanting.

Cthulhu - The Movie! - The Karl - 08-12-2008

tenebroust Wrote:I think it was The Resurrected he was thinking of. The story of Joseph Curwen

You are correct. The Case of Charles Dexter Ward being one of my favorite Lovecraft stories, I snagged this on DVD when it became available. It plays loose with a few of the Mythos bits, but it is plenty atmospheric.

Cthulhu - The Movie! - tenebroust - 08-12-2008

The Karl Wrote:You are correct. The Case of Charles Dexter Ward being one of my favorite Lovecraft stories, I snagged this on DVD when it became available. It plays loose with a few of the Mythos bits, but it is plenty atmospheric.

The Case of Charles Dexter Ward is a great story. I believe I have seen The Resurrected at least once but will have to see about watching it again to refresh my memory. Lovecraft doesn't translate well to film, like Stephen King. The Call of Cthulhu, the silent film I thought captured the best atmosphere of a Lovecraft story. The Necronomicon portrayed Deep Ones pretty well. Dagon is a pretty good interpretation of The Shadow over Innsmouth. There are a lot of bad movies out there too though.