RepairmanJack.com Forums
Scariest Books You've Read - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Scariest Books You've Read (/thread-233.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Scariest Books You've Read - hford713 - 07-14-2004

The Keep (only book I've ever read twice)
Salem's Lot
Pet Semetary (that great last line... "Darling," she said, her mouth grating, full of dirt. (or something to that extent))
Nightworld (I actually had a nightmare about some of the aliens FP described).
I think I'll make this one the second book I've ever read twice.

Scariest Books You've Read - Peter - 07-14-2004

Some of H.P.Lovecrafts works, Oh I know they are rather old fashioned looking now but if you just let yourself slip into them and put yourself in the story (as I always do with a good book). A case in point. The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward and the part where the doctor is in the cellar, his torch goes out and he has to feel his way in pitch darkness across a room filled with pits, at the bottom of which are unglimpsed but definitely scary things. Put yourself in his place....

Scariest Books You've Read - Barry Lee Dejasu - 07-15-2004

I'd say these, among others.

By Stephen King:
  • 'salem's Lot
  • Dreamcatcher (btw, the film to me is like what The Keep is to AC fans.
  • The Shining

By some guy, I forget what his name is:
  • The Keep
  • Reborn
  • Sibs
By Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child:
  • Relic
  • Reliquary
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities
By H.P. Lovecraft:
  • "The Hound"
  • "The Lurking Fear"
  • "The Colour Out of Space"
By Edgar Allen Poe:
  • "The Black Cat"
  • "The Masque of the Red Death"
  • "The Fall of the House of Usher"
By Others:
  • Dracula, by Bram Stoker. One of the scariest books I've ever read, and I'm not kidding.
  • Phantoms, by Dean Koontz
  • Watchers, by him also
There are more, but I can't think of any right now.

Scariest Books You've Read - Tim Hatch - 07-15-2004

Jack Ketchum "The Girl Next Door"

Joe Lansdale "The Nightrunners"

Blatty "The Exorcist"

Scariest Books You've Read - jimbow8 - 07-15-2004

Barry Lee Dejasu Wrote:By Stephen King:
  • Dreamcatcher (btw, the film to me is like what The Keep is to AC fans.)

I see what you are getting at here, but I have to say that Dreamcatcher the book wasn't as good as the Keep (in fact once the guys split up, the book isn't really that good at all, IMHO) and DC the movie is also not as good as the Keep movie.

And.....COOL!!! I never even noticed that LIST button was there. Beware! I'll probably overuse that feature for a while. Big Grin

Scariest Books You've Read - InfinityLtd - 07-15-2004

SDSwami Wrote:Sorta like the other thread on here, but I was thinking more of a Non-FPW line.

I always liked Needful Things. One moment that will always stand out to me was when I read this the first time during my senior year. Towards the end of the book when all hell breaks loose, there's a scene where Ace sets off some dynamite under the bridge in town. I was reading this part while in study hall one day and at the exact same moment where the bridge goes up, someone had pulled the fire alarm in the school. I think I came a few feet off my chair when that happened.

My favorite short story is definately The Body Politic by Clive Barker. I've never read a story that made me laugh this hard but at the same time think to myself "What if this is really true? Would I ever know?". If you've never read this, it's located in the book The Inhuman Condition.

Overall, the scariest books I've read would have to be Salem's Lot, The Keep, and The Damnation Game.

For myself, I think the most scared I've been reading a book was with The Shining when I was about eleven or twelve years old ('78 or '79). It was my first King book. It took me two weeks to read the first fifty pages or so. Then I was home sick from school one day and laid down on the couch to read. I laid there for the rest of the day and finished the book (400 pages). I remember that the sun was going down as I finished and I was too scared to get up and turn on the lights. Big Grin

I also like: Mine (especially the first ten pages...scared me silly) and Swan Song by Robert McCammon; 'Salem's Lot, IT and Pet Sematary by Stephen King; The Select by F. Paul (haven't finished the Adversary cycle, so those may pop up also), the early Books of Blood (although for me when I read them, a few of the stories seemed more gross than scary)--favorite story: "In the Hills, the Cities" (something like that)--and "Ghost Story" by Peter Straub (once I finally got to the part where I couldn't put it down, which was on my third attempt).

There are probably many others that I've left off, but there are the best representatives that I can come up with off the top of my head.

Scariest Books You've Read - InfinityLtd - 07-15-2004

hford713 Wrote:Pet Semetary (that great last line... "Darling," she said, her mouth grating, full of dirt. (or something to that extent))

As I recall, the last line of Pet Sematary was: "Darling," it said.

I'm rereading The Tommyknockers right now. I hated this the first time I read it, but it's grown on me now that I'm reading it again.

Scariest Books You've Read - jimbow8 - 07-15-2004

InfinityLtd Wrote:As I recall, the last line of Pet Sematary was: "Darling," it said.

I'm rereading The Tommyknockers right now. I hated this the first time I read it, but it's grown on me now that I'm reading it again.
I didn't particularly care for it either, so make sure you post your second reading opinion.

The characters were good (this is where King's brilliance lies, the characters), but the story was kinda flat.....similar to Dreamcatcher.

Scariest Books You've Read - Don B - 07-18-2004

Hmm. The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski. Although it is not considered horror, it affected me more than any actual horror novel. I read it twenty-five years ago and I will never read it again - I don't need to.

Scariest Books You've Read - crimson - 07-19-2004

For me it would have to be "Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami. I just finished all 600 plus pages days ago. Just the way some of the charachters (most about 15 years old) brutally kill each other with no remorse or any emotion is just chilling. great book, easily one of my favorites.