RepairmanJack.com Forums
Just bought Harbingers :D - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Just bought Harbingers :D (/thread-2102.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Just bought Harbingers :D - webby - 01-12-2007

[SIZE="5"]MAJOR HARBINGERS SPOILER[/SIZE]

*PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK

cobalt79 Wrote:I think I suggested this idea of Jack assuming the Westphalen identity last fall. Someone pointed out that Jack wouldn't match the passport and fingerprints of Richard Westphalen.
But I still think it's a good idea. At least Jack won't have to leave the country now. Ah...but at what a large cost. Sad

But is there really any need for Jack to assume a legit identity anymore? I think he'll just drop the whole thing and I don't think Gia will argue about it.

Yeah, there's still the question of what would become of Vicki if anything happened to Gia, but as long as she doesn't have Richard officially declared dead, maybe they can leave that option open, just in case.

Besides, we have to figure that Gia's parents met Richard so they'd know Jack isn't him. Oy vey, the potential legal quagmire!

Just bought Harbingers :D - jimbow8 - 01-12-2007

webby Wrote:Besides, we have to figure that Gia's parents met Richard so they'd know Jack isn't him. Oy vey, the potential legal quagmire!
Do we know anything about Gia's parents? :confused:

Just bought Harbingers :D - BK Akitas - 01-12-2007

jimbow8 Wrote:Do we know anything about Gia's parents? :confused:
Other than the fact that they live in Indiana and Gia would rather hand Vicks over to Parabellum than her own grandparents, nope.
I dont recall ever reading that Gia's parents ever knew RW. In fact, it stands to reason that since they met after her move to NY (and speaking from experience, midwestern parents see a single daughter moving to a large city to pursue a carreer as a great fit of rebellion worthy of disinheritance),I don't thin they ever got the opportunity. Plus he wasnt around all that long. Take a tax break, knock ya up, so long babe.
RW was a law abiding British citizen, I don't think too many other folks than those back in jolly ole England would recognize him and who's to say RJ doesn't already bear some resemblance? Most of us are attracted to certain physical aspects, maybe Gia was too. Maybe Jack's friend at the Embassy could help pave the way. Between Jack's other contacts and abilities, this doens't sound like such a hard fix it after all.
RW didn't have a lot of friends to question it and no family other than Gia and Vicks- that ins't Rakosh poop by now.

Just bought Harbingers :D - Scott Miller - 01-12-2007

BK Akitas Wrote:Other than the fact that they live in Indiana

I thought she was from Iowa.

Just bought Harbingers :D - jimbow8 - 01-12-2007

Scott Miller Wrote:I thought she was from Iowa.
I think you're right. BK Akitas is from AZ, so all us midwestern states beginning with the letter "I" seem alike to her ..... :p Wink

Just bought Harbingers :D - Scott Miller - 01-12-2007

BK Akitas Wrote:Other than the fact that they live in Indiana and Gia would rather hand Vicks over to Parabellum than her own grandparents, nope.
I dont recall ever reading that Gia's parents ever knew RW. In fact, it stands to reason that since they met after her move to NY (and speaking from experience, midwestern parents see a single daughter moving to a large city to pursue a carreer as a great fit of rebellion worthy of disinheritance),I don't thin they ever got the opportunity. Plus he wasnt around all that long. Take a tax break, knock ya up, so long babe.
RW was a law abiding British citizen, I don't think too many other folks than those back in jolly ole England would recognize him and who's to say RJ doesn't already bear some resemblance? Most of us are attracted to certain physical aspects, maybe Gia was too. Maybe Jack's friend at the Embassy could help pave the way. Between Jack's other contacts and abilities, this doens't sound like such a hard fix it after all.
RW didn't have a lot of friends to question it and no family other than Gia and Vicks- that ins't Rakosh poop by now.

My memory is terrible so the possibility is distinct that I'm wrong, but wasn't the Westphalen identity already coming apart at the seams in Harbingers?

Scott Miller Wrote:My memory is terrible so the possibility is distinct that I'm wrong, but wasn't the Westphalen identity already coming apart at the seams in Harbingers?

Didn't seem that way to me, in fact it seemed entirely believable since the dr was insistent on Jack making it back in time to say his goodbyes.
Of course, we know this is a work of fiction since the hospital staff was devoted to the care of the patients instead of Jack coming downstairs to complete the insurance forms.

Mea Culpa for the Iowa mistake- I was only on my first cuppa, and I tend to slip.

BK Akitas Wrote:Other than the fact that they live in Indiana and Gia would rather hand Vicks over to Parabellum than her own grandparents, nope.

I never got the impression that Gia had any problem with her family and it seemed that in one of the books Vicky, or both Gia and Vicky, had gone to Iowa for a visit. It was driving me nuts, so I had to go looking for what made me think that. I actually found two references...

Hosts (trade hardcover pg. 43)

"He ached for Gia but she was out of town. As soon as school let out she'd packed up Vicky and flown to Ottumwa, Iowa, for a week-long visit with her folks, part of her ongoing effort to keep Vicky in contact with her extended family."

Gateways (trade hardcover pg. 29)

"Gia made regular trips back to Iowa to keep Vicky in touch with her grandparents."

So if anything ever did happen to Gia, I'm sure her parents would expect to finish raising Vicky if Gia wasn't remarried first.

BK Akitas Wrote:I dont recall ever reading that Gia's parents ever knew RW.

I don't remember a specific mention of that either. I was just guessing since I always had the impression that Gia was close with her family.

BK Akitas Wrote:RW didn't have a lot of friends to question it and no family other than Gia and Vicks- that ins't Rakosh poop by now.

Big Grin Rakosh poop. That's a good one.

if you have to make an effort to keep a child involved with extended family, something isn't right.
Gia may just be trying to push Jack's buttons when she focuses on him becoming CJ using the problem of 'if something ever happens to me'. she's consistent about wanting Vicks and any children they may have together to go to him, saying (paraphrasing here, not in exact quote mode)"...or they'd have to go to my parents......" Have To. I read that as I want you not them.

Grandparents who never come to visit? Ever? Ain't like Sutton Place hasn't got a few extra bedrooms. Kid spends more time at camp than with the extended family.

which makes me think of something else.....if they did go to visit and spent any length of time with old gram and gramps, how is it they aren't worried sick about Vicky???? my munchkin gets a papercut and its front page news to anyone who'll listen to her hour long descriptions of the color of the band-aid. Vicky's dad and paternal aunts disappear and are never heard from again....munchkin herself gets carried out a window by a bengali demon and almost gets recycled the hard way....mommy's new boyfriend beat the snot outta a bunch of doped up freaks on the museum steps..and ....and...and....

(and yes, I know this isn't reality and he has only so many pages to work with and eventually must sleep, but to me its implied)

this is the same kid who cant resist telling the ultrasound tech how mom has to sprinkle a lot, but she knows its not diabetes. think she could keep any of the other stuff a secret?

maybe what I should be doing is asking FPW to please explain IN DETAIL how to get a 7-9 lyear old little girl to button it- I could use the help!

or maybe I need therapy

BK Akitas Wrote:if you have to make an effort to keep a child involved with extended family, something isn't right.
Gia may just be trying to push Jack's buttons when she focuses on him becoming CJ using the problem of 'if something ever happens to me'. she's consistent about wanting Vicks and any children they may have together to go to him, saying (paraphrasing here, not in exact quote mode)"...or they'd have to go to my parents......" Have To. I read that as I want you not them.

Grandparents who never come to visit? Ever? Ain't like Sutton Place hasn't got a few extra bedrooms. Kid spends more time at camp than with the extended family.

which makes me think of something else.....if they did go to visit and spent any length of time with old gram and gramps, how is it they aren't worried sick about Vicky???? my munchkin gets a papercut and its front page news to anyone who'll listen to her hour long descriptions of the color of the band-aid. Vicky's dad and paternal aunts disappear and are never heard from again....munchkin herself gets carried out a window by a bengali demon and almost gets recycled the hard way....mommy's new boyfriend beat the snot outta a bunch of doped up freaks on the museum steps..and ....and...and....

(and yes, I know this isn't reality and he has only so many pages to work with and eventually must sleep, but to me its implied)

this is the same kid who cant resist telling the ultrasound tech how mom has to sprinkle a lot, but she knows its not diabetes. think she could keep any of the other stuff a secret?

maybe what I should be doing is asking FPW to please explain IN DETAIL how to get a 7-9 lyear old little girl to button it- I could use the help!

or maybe I need therapy

I grew up in Wisconsin, now living in Missouri. Not that great a distance, but I have to make an effort to go back with the kids for visits, even though I really enjoy visiting my family. There never seems to be enough time for it. I'll admit that my mom makes more trips down here than I manage to make up there.

I'm still just not seeing that there's really any strain in the relationship with Gia and her folks. That we haven't read about certain details like Vicky spilling her guts to her grandparents, I just figured was to keep the pace of the main plot moving. I figured also that Gia probably insisted she not tell anyone about certain things like the rakosh - otherwise she'd be blabbing it all over school too.

So it seems we have discovered a new offshoot of the Gia Must Stay / Gia Must Go debate. Big Grin

I'm really curious what everyone else is thinking. Does Gia have a good relationship with her family or are those week-long trips to Iowa a painful obligation?