RepairmanJack.com Forums
The Day After Tomorrow - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: The Day After Tomorrow (/thread-140.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Day After Tomorrow - The Mad American - 06-02-2004

Marc B. Wrote:I just got back from seeing this. Superior to Independence Day and far superior to Godzilla, The Day After Tomorrow is a well crafted and fun movie. This is the first time in a long time Emmerich has created characters you actually care about. Yes, an ice age sets in in just under a week but minus the fact that the movie accelerates global events it is all based on fact.

The other nice thing was it had a message. Luckily, just when you think the message is going to become overtly preachy it doesn't. The film makes its point while on a rollercoaster with nice visuals. The Day After Tomorrow is better then your average summer popcorn disaster movie and well worth checking out.

And for all the people criticizing the movie saying that the events portrayed in the movie couldn't happen this quickly, the movie actually does address this by having a character state that these events shouldn't be happening as quickly as they are. Just sit back, relax and enjoy.

After what these folks did to Godzilla I haven't been able to convince myself to try any of their other movies....

Is this one worth it? Blah, never mind. Just remembered the stupid "Jurassic Park" rip off in Madison Square Garden in the Godzilla movie...I can never forgive the ruining of a childhood icon, Godzilla.

The Day After Tomorrow - Richard Kendrick - 06-03-2004

I went to see this movie for the FX. I was hoping for a good plot. I really had a hard time getting past the bullshit science and the propaganda. What a preachy piece of crap. I really wanted to like this movie too. I even went to see it by myself because my wife did not want to go. It really just insulted my intelligence. For me to say a movie is bad, you can take it to the bank. I usually love bad movies. It would have almost been a "fun summer movie" (it was visually stunning at times because some of the FX are quite good) if it were not so politically motivated and full of incorrect info. I'll bet there are people out there that believe that movie's scenario is possible... Sad. And yes, I realize the movie is "fiction" but the way the science is presented is ridiculous. Wait for the DVD, rent it and watch it with the sound down.

RIK (Wanting his matinee ticket price back.) :mad:

The Day After Tomorrow - jimbow8 - 06-03-2004

Richard Kendrick Wrote:I went to see this movie for the FX. I was hoping for a good plot. I really had a hard time getting past the bullshit science and the propaganda. What a preachy piece of crap. I really wanted to like this movie too. I even went to see it by myself because my wife did not want to go. It really just insulted my intelligence. For me to say a movie is bad, you can take it to the bank. I usually love bad movies. It would have almost been a "fun summer movie" (it was visually stunning at times because some of the FX are quite good) if it were not so politically motivated and full of incorrect info. I'll bet there are people out there that believe that movie's scenario is possible... Sad. And yes, I realize the movie is "fiction" but the way the science is presented is ridiculous. Wait for the DVD, rent it and watch it with the sound down.

I've actually heard that the science is somewhat accurate EXCEPT for the timeframe. I'm not going to argue that it is a good movie because I was very disappointed in it too, but, let's face it, the timeframe was compressed to make a more "interesting" movie. How boring would it have been if coming of the ice age took 100+ years and mankind had all that time to prepare for it?!

The Day After Tomorrow - Kenji - 06-06-2004

Now, I just got back from seeing The Day After Tommorow. This is Greeeeat movie! Big Grin
Special effect is awesome, and some characters are arouse sympathy. Specially, Dennis Quaid....he is one father, but he is realistic hero.

BTW, in this movie, one scene of Tokyo......something strange! They are not Japanese. Sometimes in Hollywood movies, They(movie makers) use Japanese-Americans. Except The Last Samurai. In The Last Samurai, they were all Japanese people. Smile

The Day After Tomorrow - jimbow8 - 06-08-2004

ARTICLE

[Image: 040608_sci_GREENLAND_ch.gif]

The Day After Tomorrow - Kenji - 06-08-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:ARTICLE

[Image: 040608_sci_GREENLAND_ch.gif]

I felt cold!

The Day After Tomorrow - Marc - 06-08-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:I've actually heard that the science is somewhat accurate EXCEPT for the timeframe.

The science is actually very accurate minus the timeframe which the Emmerich even admitted was off. They even mention in the movie at one point though so I just ignored the timeframe problem.

The Day After Tomorrow - Biggles - 06-08-2004

Kenji Asakura Wrote:I felt cold!

Time to buy Ocean front property in Greenland? BTW, why is Iceland green, but Greenland is covered with ice? Those Vikings were real jokesters, eh?

Richard Kendrick Wrote:I went to see this movie for the FX. I was hoping for a good plot. I really had a hard time getting past the bullshit science and the propaganda. What a preachy piece of crap. I really wanted to like this movie too. I even went to see it by myself because my wife did not want to go. It really just insulted my intelligence. For me to say a movie is bad, you can take it to the bank. I usually love bad movies. It would have almost been a "fun summer movie" (it was visually stunning at times because some of the FX are quite good) if it were not so politically motivated and full of incorrect info. I'll bet there are people out there that believe that movie's scenario is possible... Sad. And yes, I realize the movie is "fiction" but the way the science is presented is ridiculous. Wait for the DVD, rent it and watch it with the sound down.

RIK, don't hold back! Tell us what you really think! Wink

BTW, I think The Who stated my case about the environmentalist wackos years ago: "I don't care about pollution. I'm an air conditioned gypsy. That's MY solution. Let the police and the tax man miss me. I'm mobile!!!" Big Grin