RepairmanJack.com Forums
The Descent and The Cave - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: The Descent and The Cave (/thread-1069.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The Descent and The Cave - Flinx - 07-12-2005

lovestigger68 Wrote:Oh My God! I didn't think anyone else made this connection but myself and my husband. I don't know anyone who has read The Decent by Jeff Long. How exciting. I haven't seen the previews but was wondering if they may be the same story. Does it look like it? I have made recommendations about Jeff Long to others. I LOVED the Descent. What a rich, engaging story.

Rose
mr mikey Wrote:I've read the book by Jeff Long as well, and it was the first thing I thought about when I read the thread. The reviews are kinda vague so I'll be interested to see if it has anything to do with the book.
Judging from how they kept refering to "creatures" who lived in the caves, it seems that it may have some tentative connections to the authors original premise.
Like Mr Mikey, I automatically thought of Jeff Long's novel. Tried to read it but couldn't finish it. Strange thing is, after not being able to read it I still went out & bought Year Zero.

The Descent and The Cave - Maggers - 06-08-2006

lovestigger68 Wrote:Oh My God! I didn't think anyone else made this connection but myself and my husband. I don't know anyone who has read The Decent by Jeff Long. How exciting. I haven't seen the previews but was wondering if they may be the same story. Does it look like it? I have made recommendations about Jeff Long to others. I LOVED the Descent. What a rich, engaging story.

Rose

Rose,
I only just found this thread. I read Jeff Long's "The Descent" and found it to be one of the scariest and most disturbing books I'd read in a long, long time. It scared me so much because it's a book based on all our fears of the devil and demons and COULD THEY BE TRUE? I thought the first chapters of "The Descent" were absolutely extraordinary. The rest of the book less so, but nevertheless, many months later, images from that book still haunt me.

I was hoping the movie "The Descent" would be based on Jeff Long's book. It sounds so much like the basis for Long's book but bastardized for the screen with lost women instead of the complicated story Long had created.

I'd love to see a movie of Jeff Long's book.

This is what I wrote about Long's book just after I'd read it:
"I finished "The Descent" by Jeff Long a couple of weeks ago but haven't had a chance to post about it. I highly recommend it. It's flawed, for sure, and long, but the opening is worth reading regardless of the rest of the book. I very much enjoyed the book overall. Long takes off on tangents here and there, and the ending, as with so many authors these days, was rushed, tied up too quickly. Though the ending was not satisfying, the book has stayed with me and I've thought about it daily.

The premise is that there is an entire civilization of beings living deep within the Earth. They are not nice, nuh uh. They are the stuff that nightmares are made of, and they may even be the reality upon which so many of our fears are based. This book got to me very quickly and very profoundly. It played to my darkest fears and made them seem...logical and reasonable, given the awful creatures down below.

I don't want to give anything away. "The Descent" is an imperfect piece, but I am very glad I read it."

The Descent and The Cave - APhew - 06-08-2006

Maggers Wrote:I was hoping the movie "The Descent" would be based on Jeff Long's book. It sounds so much like the basis for Long's book but bastardized for the screen with lost women instead of the complicated story Long had created.

It is not based on the book at all. Just the coincidence of the same title. "The Cave" had the same premise as well. I did read "The Descent" a while back and enjoyed it, but it did have it's shortcomings that dulled it a little for me. If you want yet another book that predates Long's that has the same type of setup ("things" living below us), read "Subterranean" by James Rollins.

A book that had the same effect on me that "The Descent" had on you is "Jinn" by Matthew B.J. Delaney.

If you want further title confusion, look at this forthcoming book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400043921/sr=8-4/qid=1149779240/ref=pd_bbs_4/104-5991847-3447934?%5Fencoding=UTF8

The Descent and The Cave - jimbow8 - 06-08-2006

I saw the Cave. It had a lot of potential but lived up to very little of it. It was ultimately pretty lame.

The Descent and The Cave - Maggers - 06-08-2006

APhew Wrote:It is not based on the book at all. Just the coincidence of the same title. "The Cave" had the same premise as well. I did read "The Descent" a while back and enjoyed it, but it did have it's shortcomings that dulled it a little for me. If you want yet another book that predates Long's that has the same type of setup ("things" living below us), read "Subterranean" by James Rollins.

A book that had the same effect on me that "The Descent" had on you is "Jinn" by Matthew B.J. Delaney.

Thanks, Aphew. I did read "Subterranean" by James Rollins and liked it alot. However, the whole tone of Long's "The Descent" and the completely evil nature of the creatures living below are very different from "Subterranean." Long's booked still spooks me when I think about it, and I actually think about it frequently. He created a scenario where all tales about the devil, demons and hell could be based in fact. That's terrifying to me.

I will check out "Jinn."

The Descent and The Cave - lovestigger68 - 06-09-2006

Hi Maggers,

I loved your summary of this book. I only know one other person who read this book to talk about and it was my husband. LOL! I have read for years many books and many characters cross my path, but there are only a few that I take with me and don't ever forget and Ike was one of them. I loved how it gave our fears of demons and hell actual, logical substance, i.e. a race of people beneath us. Very interesting subject. Got to me on many levels as I have problems with caves, dark and airless places. Having been in a cave in the dark and discovering claustophobia, I had trouble in some places in this book. Smile But overall, loved it. Thanks so much for responding.
Rose

Maggers Wrote:Rose,
I only just found this thread. I read Jeff Long's "The Descent" and found it to be one of the scariest and most disturbing books I'd read in a long, long time. It scared me so much because it's a book based on all our fears of the devil and demons and COULD THEY BE TRUE? I thought the first chapters of "The Descent" were absolutely extraordinary. The rest of the book less so, but nevertheless, many months later, images from that book still haunt me.

I was hoping the movie "The Descent" would be based on Jeff Long's book. It sounds so much like the basis for Long's book but bastardized for the screen with lost women instead of the complicated story Long had created.

I'd love to see a movie of Jeff Long's book.

This is what I wrote about Long's book just after I'd read it:
"I finished "The Descent" by Jeff Long a couple of weeks ago but haven't had a chance to post about it. I highly recommend it. It's flawed, for sure, and long, but the opening is worth reading regardless of the rest of the book. I very much enjoyed the book overall. Long takes off on tangents here and there, and the ending, as with so many authors these days, was rushed, tied up too quickly. Though the ending was not satisfying, the book has stayed with me and I've thought about it daily.

The premise is that there is an entire civilization of beings living deep within the Earth. They are not nice, nuh uh. They are the stuff that nightmares are made of, and they may even be the reality upon which so many of our fears are based. This book got to me very quickly and very profoundly. It played to my darkest fears and made them seem...logical and reasonable, given the awful creatures down below.

I don't want to give anything away. "The Descent" is an imperfect piece, but I am very glad I read it."

The Descent and The Cave - ccosborne3 - 08-04-2006

The Descent is out in theatres today and the film is getting tremendous reviews (for a horror movie). Anybody catch it yet?

The Descent and The Cave - GeraldRice - 08-04-2006

I wonder why it took so long to get over here?

And from what I've read there's a UK ending and an US one.

The Descent and The Cave - ccosborne3 - 08-04-2006

Just a guess but it was probably made cheaply and they have a different distributor for the US. It is a little odd.

The Descent and The Cave - The Mad American - 08-07-2006

I and a friend went to see The Descent last saturday and I have to say I really enjoyed it. It was light years better then The Cave (well, the cave sucked in my opinion and descent was very good so...no comparison really except the caves).

Well worth seeing. Much much darker in mood then Dog Soldiers (Neil Marshals last film).

After some see it we can discuss more. I saw some similarities between the points made in this movie and 28 days later. The movies aren't similar at all but without saying too much I see a similar point being made.

Someone hurry out and see this so we can discuss it....hurry hurry.Big Grin