RepairmanJack.com Forums
Actor For Jack - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Actor For Jack (/thread-11.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Actor For Jack - Noelie - 06-18-2004

Quote:David is too old and too tall and his head is too small for his body!

Oh, lord. Not only that, but he creeps me out in the worst possible way. It's something about his eyes, he looks like he's a few bricks shy of a load. It's not so much that he looks stupid, as he looks...crazy. He's always made me think "pedophile". Ew, creeeeepy. Ok, I'm alright now.

Actor For Jack - Kenji - 06-19-2004

Nobody mention about him. Just now, came up to my mind. What about Matthew McConaughey as Jack?

Actor For Jack - Hung By The Neck Til Dead - 06-19-2004

Kenji Asakura Wrote:Nobody mention about him. Just now, came up to my mind. What about Matthew McConaughey as Jack?

other than his texan accent? as a east coast raised man? don't think it would work, but he "could" do Jack justice otherwise...see "Fraility". Wink

Actor For Jack - Hung By The Neck Til Dead - 06-19-2004

Annice Burdeos Wrote:Christian Bale (I'd like anyone to tell me what he looked like in American Psycho. He was so very good as the antagonist. And no one who saw this film could adequately described what he looked like.)

If I remember rightly, he played the lead in "Equalibrium" and did a decent job of carrying a snoozer of a movie. After all, all I really remember of that movie is the 'gun-kata' which was some killer moves with a handgun, would be killer to see Jack do that in a fight even though its unrealistic.

Actor For Jack - Kenji - 06-19-2004

Hung By The Neck Til Dead Wrote:other than his texan accent? as a east coast raised man? don't think it would work, but he "could" do Jack justice otherwise...see "Fraility". Wink

Texan accent? Oh...I don't know such accent. Big Grin
I don't know Texan accent. But he is actor. Actor can change the own accent, ...right?

Actor For Jack - Bluesman Mike Lindner - 06-19-2004

Kenji Asakura Wrote:Texan accent? Oh...I don't know such accent. Big Grin
I don't know Texan accent. But he is actor. Actor can change the own accent, ...right?

That's the theory, Kenji, but it varies wildly in practice. Some actors excel at accents, like James Doohan of the original STAR TREK. Some are so awful their lame attempts ruin the flick--supply your own examples. And a few are smart enough to not even try an accent beyond their powers (think Clark Gable in GONE WITH THE WIND--though even there, Gable's blackface jive to Mammy was embarassing).

Actor For Jack - Ken Valentine - 06-20-2004

jimbow8 Wrote:I'm not sure where Susan is going with this, but I want to state right now that I think Edward Burns would be perfect for the role. I just had to get that out there before someone else tried to take credit for the idea.

Jim (who doesn't want to have to send Susan $20)

I'll accept whoever is selected for the role of Jack (I'll have to won't I?)

But yesterday, I saw my first film starring John Cusac. The movie was titled THE RED BULL, and although the movie was good, Cusac just doesn't seem like Jack to me. Which is not to say he can't do a convincing Jack, it's just that actually seeing him in a movie has given me a better perspective.

I can't remember ever seeing a movie with Edward Burns in it. Any recommendations?

Ken V.

Actor For Jack - Ken Valentine - 06-20-2004

Bluesman Mike Lindner Wrote:That's the theory, Kenji, but it varies wildly in practice. Some actors excel at accents, like James Doohan of the original STAR TREK. Some are so awful their lame attempts ruin the flick--supply your own examples. And a few are smart enough to not even try an accent beyond their powers (think Clark Gable in GONE WITH THE WIND--though even there, Gable's blackface jive to Mammy was embarassing).

Interestingly, one of the all-time masters of accents was Peter Ustinov. Not only could he do all of the various British accents, but English spoken with a Dutch accent, various German accents, Afrikaans, and numerous American accents as well.

But, as you said, some actors shouldn't even attempt it.

I remember a movie called BLUE, where Terrence Stamp was cast as "Azul,"someone who would have a Tex-Mex accent. He was able to eliminate most of his British accent, but Tex-Mex? No way!

Ken V.

Actor For Jack - jimbow8 - 06-20-2004

Ken Valentine Wrote:I'll accept whoever is selected for the role of Jack (I'll have to won't I?)

But yesterday, I saw my first film starring John Cusac. The movie was titled THE RED BULL, and although the movie was good, Cusac just doesn't seem like Jack to me. Which is not to say he can't do a convincing Jack, it's just that actually seeing him in a movie has given me a better perspective.

I can't remember ever seeing a movie with Edward Burns in it. Any recommendations?

Ken V.
Edward Burns' filmography

Huh! Apparently I have only seen a few of those. I recommend, obviously, Saving Private Ryan. I love the movie She's the One, but most people find it average. (I think a big reason I like it is the soundtrack by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.) The Brothers McMullen is good also but more of a character story than a plot-driven movie. I also enjoyed 15 Minutes. BEWARE, though, that in none of these movies does he resemble the character of Jack, so don't be expecting that.

Actor For Jack - DaveStrorm - 06-20-2004

Hung By The Neck Til Dead Wrote:other than his texan accent? as a east coast raised man? don't think it would work, but he "could" do Jack justice otherwise...see "Fraility". Wink
He's also getting ready to star in Sahara and probably hopes his Dirk Pitt character will turn into a movie franchise. I'm not sure he can handle two. Wink