RepairmanJack.com Forums
Revenge of the Sith WITH SPOILERS!! - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Revenge of the Sith WITH SPOILERS!! (/thread-952.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Revenge of the Sith WITH SPOILERS!! - KRW - 05-31-2005

We went to see it this weekend, and.................That was one good movie!
Loved it!
I was a bit blown away at how quickly the jedi die and how quickly Darth Vader recieves all his wounds. Never read one of the books, but I was under the impression that between the time after the Sith and the time before a New Hope was when the jedi would die by Vaders hand and in these battles would be where his body took it's beating. None the less, it wrapped it up nicely IMO! But what happens between these two stories, any good books to tell the tales?

My favorite part was the scene with Amadala, Aniken, and Obe Wan on the fire planet. I felt her heart break, I felt Anikens sense of betrayl, and Obe Wans loss of a friend! It had a big impact on me!

KRW

Revenge of the Sith WITH SPOILERS!! - dejo - 05-31-2005

KRW Wrote:But what happens between these two stories, any good books to tell the tales?

The only books that currently seem to cover the time period between Episodes III and IV deal with Lando Calrissian or Han Solo. Here's a good webpage that covers the whole timeline:

STAR WARS: The Novels--What Happened When?

I've heard that there are upcoming novels that will deal more with the time period between III and IV, however.

Revenge of the Sith WITH SPOILERS!! - Ken Valentine - 05-31-2005

dejo Wrote:The only books that currently seem to cover the time period between Episodes III and IV deal with Lando Calrissian or Han Solo. Here's a good webpage that covers the whole timeline:

STAR WARS: The Novels--What Happened When?

I've heard that there are upcoming novels that will deal more with the time period between III and IV, however.

Those three Lando Calrissian books were written by L. Neil Smith. Who -- in case you didn't know it -- was "Neil the Anarchist" in The Tomb.

Ken V.

Revenge of the Sith WITH SPOILERS!! - KRW - 05-31-2005

Ken Valentine Wrote:Those three Lando Calrissian books were written by L. Neil Smith. Who -- in case you didn't know it -- was "Neil the Anarchist" in The Tomb.

Ken V.

You have got to be kidding me. Neil? The Anarchist? Who would have thought!
That's too cool!

KRW

Revenge of the Sith WITH SPOILERS!! - Blake - 05-31-2005

KRW Wrote:Never read one of the books, but I was under the impression that between the time after the Sith and the time before a New Hope was when the jedi would die by Vaders hand and in these battles would be where his body took it's beating.

Nope, it was always Obi-Wan that did it to him. I can't remember sources now (Return of the Jedi novelization? And earlier sources, too, I think), but the big fight between them that crippled Anakin has always been a part of the "lore".

Blake

Revenge of the Sith WITH SPOILERS!! - Blake - 05-31-2005

jimbow8 Wrote:Problem is, Neeson has consistently derided the series since his role.

Really? Do you have any quotes? I've never heard him say anything bad about it.

As for Rick McCallum (the producer) saying Neeson's role didn't happen... well, you often can't believe a word the man says. Smile A lot of his talk before movie releases seems either deliberately incorrect or at least mistaken (I suspect the former a lot more than the latter).

Blake

Revenge of the Sith WITH SPOILERS!! - jimbow8 - 06-01-2005

Blake Wrote:Really? Do you have any quotes? I've never heard him say anything bad about it.

As for Rick McCallum (the producer) saying Neeson's role didn't happen... well, you often can't believe a word the man says. Smile A lot of his talk before movie releases seems either deliberately incorrect or at least mistaken (I suspect the former a lot more than the latter).

Blake
Therd's some stuff in here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000553/news

I thought he had said worse things, but I could be misremembering.

Have you heard the similar stories of Alec Guinness having said not-so-good things?

Revenge of the Sith WITH SPOILERS!! - Blake - 06-01-2005

jimbow8 Wrote:I thought he had said worse things, but I could be misremembering.

I thought that was fairly mild, but I can see what you mean. He comes across as having been a bit bitter about film-making at that time, though. Maybe he was just going through a bad period. That's the only explanation I can see for the quote where he says he was "inconsequential" to the film (The Phantom Menace). I mean, come on: It was basically his movie!

The part I absolutely didn't like on that page wasn't a quote from Neeson, though; it was the bit about The Phantom Menace being voted "worst sequel ever," beating out the likes of Jaws: The Revenge, Speed 2: Cruise Control, and -- ugh -- Batman & Robin. You have got to be kidding me. Of course, that was probably right after the movie came out and people were in backlash mode, but still... ugh.

jimbow8 Wrote:Have you heard the similar stories of Alec Guinness having said not-so-good things?

I think he came across as more harsh than Neeson. Still, much has been made of Guinness hating Star Wars, but from I've read, I don't think that quite describes it. He just thought it got far too much attention, and I think he resented being primarily remembered for that role rather than his roles in, say, Lawrence of Arabia or Bridge on the River Kwai. I can't say I blame him, really. He's absolutely amazing in those films, not to mention many others. And let's face it: He's probably the only one who really made Lucas's Star Wars dialogue sound good. Actually, he made it sound downright Shakespearean. He's one of the few actors I've ever seen who seems almost chameleon-like. The only contemporary actor I can think of who seems that way, IMHO, is Gary Oldman. But I digress.... Smile

There are some interesting Alec Guinness quotes here, which I assume are accurate. Some I know are from his autobiographies.

Interesting that he apparently claimed Obi-Wan's death was his idea. Lucas always said it was because he realized the character had nothing to do in the last act. Perhaps both stories are true....

Blake

Revenge of the Sith WITH SPOILERS!! - jimbow8 - 06-01-2005

Blake Wrote:I thought that was fairly mild, but I can see what you mean. He comes across as having been a bit bitter about film-making at that time, though. Maybe he was just going through a bad period. That's the only explanation I can see for the quote where he says he was "inconsequential" to the film (The Phantom Menace). I mean, come on: It was basically his movie!

The part I absolutely didn't like on that page wasn't a quote from Neeson, though; it was the bit about The Phantom Menace being voted "worst sequel ever," beating out the likes of Jaws: The Revenge, Speed 2: Cruise Control, and -- ugh -- Batman & Robin. You have got to be kidding me. Of course, that was probably right after the movie came out and people were in backlash mode, but still... ugh.
There may be more quotes out there, but .....is it really worth looking? Wink It DOES look like he was considering retiring at the time, so maybe you are right and it was a phase.

Ghostbusters II, Caddyshack II.....

Quote:I think he came across as more harsh than Neeson. Still, much has been made of Guinness hating Star Wars, but from I've read, I don't think that quite describes it. He just thought it got far too much attention, and I think he resented being primarily remembered for that role rather than his roles in, say, Lawrence of Arabia or Bridge on the River Kwai. I can't say I blame him, really. He's absolutely amazing in those films, not to mention many others. And let's face it: He's probably the only one who really made Lucas's Star Wars dialogue sound good. Actually, he made it sound downright Shakespearean. He's one of the few actors I've ever seen who seems almost chameleon-like. The only contemporary actor I can think of who seems that way, IMHO, is Gary Oldman. But I digress.... Smile

There are some interesting Alec Guinness quotes here, which I assume are accurate. Some I know are from his autobiographies.

Interesting that he apparently claimed Obi-Wan's death was his idea. Lucas always said it was because he realized the character had nothing to do in the last act. Perhaps both stories are true....

Blake
Yeah, it's really a shame that Guinness felt that way IMO. He was an great actor, and that does often get forgotten behind his Obi-Wan role. I feel similarly about Peter Cushing.

I wonder if Guinness really called Lucas Paul (see quote near end) or if that is a typo on the page.

Revenge of the Sith WITH SPOILERS!! - Jay #1 - 06-01-2005

Everything I saw,(at the link that was shown above) was against the dialogue. One of his quotes on that site had him praising everything in the movie except the dialogue, and the final battle in New Hope going too long.

Besides, doesn't anyone remember the interview where Harrison Ford said he hated star wars? Apparently before Empire Strikes Back, he was already sick of it all. But stayed on anyway.

jimbow8 Wrote:T

Yeah, it's really a shame that Guinness felt that way IMO. He was an great actor, and that does often get forgotten behind his Obi-Wan role. I feel similarly about Peter Cushing.

I wonder if Guinness really called Lucas Paul (see quote near end) or if that is a typo on the page.