RepairmanJack.com Forums
Reading order for Adversary Cycle Books - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Related (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-8.html)
+--- Forum: F. Paul Wilson Main Forum (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-3.html)
+--- Thread: Reading order for Adversary Cycle Books (/thread-3708.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Reading order for Adversary Cycle Books - swandy - 02-02-2010

I read all these books years ago and want to re-read them in preparation for the reissue of Nightworld. (Also going to read Black Wind first, not sure if I ever read that one.)
Question is about Reborn, should it be read between The Keep and The Tomb (order according to Secret History of the World) or between The Touch and Reprisal (publication order)?
If this has been discussed before, please forgive bringing it up again.
Thanks,
Steve

Reading order for Adversary Cycle Books - Tony H - 02-02-2010

swandy Wrote:I read all these books years ago and want to re-read them in preparation for the reissue of Nightworld. (Also going to read Black Wind first, not sure if I ever read that one.)
Question is about Reborn, should it be read between The Keep and The Tomb (order according to Secret History of the World) or between The Touch and Reprisal (publication order)?
Thanks,
Steve

It's been brought up before, but never hurts to mention it again.

The preferred reading order is:

The Keep
The Tomb
The Touch
Reborn
Reprisal
Nightworld

The Repairman Jack books branch out from "The Tomb" and lead back to Nightworld.

A lot of the board members have their own way of reading the cycle, but the above delivers the best bang for the buck in my humble opinion and follows the publishing order. Of course, the timeline in which the stories take place is different with Reborn taking place before The Tomb but having been published after.

Just go with the above and you will be golden. Smile

Reading order for Adversary Cycle Books - Ken Valentine - 02-02-2010

swandy Wrote:I read all these books years ago and want to re-read them in preparation for the reissue of Nightworld. (Also going to read Black Wind first, not sure if I ever read that one.)
Thanks,
Steve
The order of publication is one thing -- that's what Tony gave. The chronological order is quite another.

Chronologically, the reading order would be:

THE KEEP
REBORN
and all the rest would fall into the time of the novel REPRISAL which takes place over an approximately five year period.

THE TOUCH would take place during the events of (if I remember correctly) BLOODLINE.

So the reading order would be (so far)

THE KEEP
REBORN
REPRISAL
THE TOMB
LEGACIES
CONSPIRACIES
ALL THE RAGE
HOSTS
THE HAUNTED AIR
GATEWAYS
CRISSCROSS
INFERNAL
HARBINGERS
BLOODLINE
THE TOUCH
BY THE SWORD
GROUND ZERO

Ken V.

Reading order for Adversary Cycle Books - Scott Miller - 02-02-2010

Ken Valentine Wrote:The order of publication is one thing -- that's what Tony gave. The chronological order is quite another.

Chronologically, the reading order would be:

THE KEEP
REBORN
and all the rest would fall into the time of the novel REPRISAL which takes place over an approximately five year period.

THE TOUCH would take place during the events of (if I remember correctly) BLOODLINE.

So the reading order would be (so far)

THE KEEP
REBORN
REPRISAL
THE TOMB
LEGACIES
CONSPIRACIES
ALL THE RAGE
HOSTS
THE HAUNTED AIR
GATEWAYS
CRISSCROSS
INFERNAL
HARBINGERS
BLOODLINE
THE TOUCH
BY THE SWORD
GROUND ZERO

Ken V.

You are probably right, but I thought the events in Reprisal directly precede Nightworld. Maybe read the 'Then' section after Reborn and the 'Now' immediately before Nightworld.

Reading order for Adversary Cycle Books - Ken Valentine - 02-02-2010

Scott Miller Wrote:You are probably right, but I thought the events in Reprisal directly precede Nightworld.
So far, it seems that they do, but it's likely that the RJ series will conclude at about the same time.

Ken V.

Reading order for Adversary Cycle Books - webby - 02-02-2010

You could also follow Paul's "Secret History of the World" outline. Just sayin'. Smile

Reading order for Adversary Cycle Books - Tony H - 02-03-2010

webby Wrote:You could also follow Paul's "Secret History of the World" outline. Just sayin'. Smile

5 Points from Gryffindor for Webby being an insufferable know-it-all!

Reading order for Adversary Cycle Books - Tony H - 02-03-2010

I read the books in pub order and it didn't detract one bit from the enjoyment. I always suggest people read the books in the same order I did because I am perfect. I think a lot of us read them in the pub order...at least all of the old guard did. Sadly, a majority of them don't post anymore so I may be speaking just for myself.

Reading order for Adversary Cycle Books - webby - 02-03-2010

AsMoral Wrote:5 Points from Gryffindor for Webby being an insufferable know-it-all!

[Image: funny-pictures-hermione-cat-knows-all-the-answers.jpg]

:p

Reading order for Adversary Cycle Books - cobalt - 02-03-2010

I read things totally out of order. I didn't know about the Adversary series then.....I read it just after Crisscross I think. And I had missed Crisscross some how...I read Infernal first.