RepairmanJack.com Forums
What are you watching for Halloween? - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: What are you watching for Halloween? (/thread-3127.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

What are you watching for Halloween? - Mick C. - 10-31-2008

Thank Cthulhu for the American Movie Channel and Turner Movie Classic. My kids and I have spent the last few days watching Universal and Hammer (and other) horror classics: HORROR OF DRACULA, HOUSE OF DRACULA, the BRIDE / SON / HOUSE / CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, and THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD! TMC is doing a mini Lovecraft festival, too (HAUNTED PALCE, DUNWICH HORROR, THE SHUTTERED ROOM, etc.)!:p

Completing my sons' education...

What are you watching for Halloween? - LolaRennt - 10-31-2008

I'll have to dig through my DVD collection. I'm sick and am so not feeling up to any festivities. Surely there's some schlocky horror schtick in my collection, though.

I'm thinking that the fizziness of a beer would be good but I'm all out of beer. Too bad liquor stores don't deliver.

What are you watching for Halloween? - Scott Miller - 10-31-2008

I rented Pathology and Teeth. Pathology stars Milo Ventimiglia as a medical student who enrolls in a prestigious forensics program where his fellow students are killers who try to outwit each other by generating cadavers whose causes of death are difficult to determine. Teeth is about a teenaged girl with teeth in the wrong part of her anatomy. I'll let you know what I think of them tomorrow.

What are you watching for Halloween? - Tony H - 10-31-2008

Scott Miller Wrote:I rented Pathology and Teeth. Pathology stars Milo Ventimiglia as a medical student who enrolls in a prestigious forensics program where his fellow students are killers who try to outwit each other by generating cadavers whose causes of death are difficult to determine. Teeth is about a teenaged girl with teeth in the wrong part of her anatomy. I'll let you know what I think of them tomorrow.

I'll probably end up watching Sleepy Hallow with Johnny Depp. That's always a fun yearly flick.

What are you watching for Halloween? - Aahz - 10-31-2008

Mick C. Wrote:Thank Cthulhu for the American Movie Channel and Turner Movie Classic. My kids and I have spent the last few days watching Universal and Hammer (and other) horror classics: HORROR OF DRACULA, HOUSE OF DRACULA, the BRIDE / SON / HOUSE / CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN, and THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD! TMC is doing a mini Lovecraft festival, too (HAUNTED PALCE, DUNWICH HORROR, THE SHUTTERED ROOM, etc.)!:p

Completing my sons' education...

How old are your kids? I've had ZERO luck getting my 12 year old daughter to watch the classic B&W horror films. She likes horror, even enjoyed the original Psycho, but the Universal films bore her to death.

What are you watching for Halloween? - Sam - 10-31-2008

Ghost Hunters is having their annual live Halloween special from 7pm-2am. They will be at Fort Delaware, which is odd since they've had more active places in the past, and the schedule time is really dumb. Still gonna watch it though!

What are you watching for Halloween? - Noelie - 10-31-2008

I have both versions of Salem's Lot on my DVR, as well as Horror of Dracula. It's gonna be a fun night!

What are you watching for Halloween? - Mick C. - 10-31-2008

Aahz Wrote:How old are your kids? I've had ZERO luck getting my 12 year old daughter to watch the classic B&W horror films. She likes horror, even enjoyed the original Psycho, but the Universal films bore her to death.

My oldest son is 12, middle is 8, youngest is 6. They all initially objected to B&W, but quickly fell victim to the beautiful photography, easy-to-follow storylines, special effects that still hold up well, and totally bitchin' monsters. My eldest now says he actually prefers the old B&W horror films. The acorn doesn't fall from the tree.

It helps that they are all into analyzing whether silver works against vampires, what would happen if you cut off a werewolf's head with a non-silver sword, and which monster could beat which monster in a cage fight. So they were in rapture while watching "Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman."

It also helps that those movies had so many damn good actors in them - Boris Karloff ("Hey! That guy sounds like the Grinch!", said my 8-year old), Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney Jr., Dwight Frye, Elsa Lanchester, George Zucco, Lionel Atwill, Basil Rathbone, John Carradine, Ernest Thesiger, Una O'Connor, Maria Ouspenskaya, Christopher Lee ("Count Dooku!"), Peter Cushing ("Grand Moff Tarkin!"), Michael Gough ("Alfred!"), Vincent Price, all at the top of their games...

Horror movies now don't have the star quality of movies back then, they rely too much on gore and SFX. Back then you had real ACTORS in horror movies. Nowadays, who? Christopher Walken is the only guy with that larger-than-life quality.

What are you watching for Halloween? - Aahz - 10-31-2008

Totally agree on the star quality, Mick. Maybe it's a boy v. girl thing. We tend to avoid the truly modern "horror", though she's got a couple dozen '80s flicks under her belt (Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, etc).

Tomorrow (she's at Mom's tonight) we're going to have an Abbot & Costello monster marathon. Not exactly horror, but she likes A&C and I figure they'll help her get over the B&W-phobia Smile

What are you watching for Halloween? - Av8or - 10-31-2008

Right now, finishing up Young Frankenstein. Smile After this, it'll probably be Saw III (the best of the 5 imo), and then, though not a horror flick, the "Av's House Halloween tradition" 2001 - A Space Odyssey.