RepairmanJack.com Forums
"The Irresponsible Mrs. Pennywise" - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: "The Irresponsible Mrs. Pennywise" (/thread-3020.html)

Pages: 1 2

"The Irresponsible Mrs. Pennywise" - Marc - 08-27-2008

I love pimping my work, so here is some self promotion for my new short film "The Irresponsible Mrs. Pennywise". Unlike "The Quiet Darkness" and "The Bottom Down" we took a little more time for production (two days as opposed to one) and shot in HD with 35mm lenses. I have about a week to edit and get it out the door for a UK festival.

For those interested I've attached a few production stills. Once I have the short completed and up I'll post the link.

[Image: penny1.jpg]

[Image: penelope.jpg]

[Image: pennywise.jpg]

[Image: penny2.jpg]

[Image: doll.jpg]

"The Irresponsible Mrs. Pennywise" - Tony H - 08-27-2008

What good is pictures without sond and motion! I can't get to RPM here at wrok for some reason. What is your new film about? Creepy doll?

"The Irresponsible Mrs. Pennywise" - Marc - 08-27-2008

AsMoral Wrote:What good is pictures without sond and motion! I can't get to RPM here at wrok for some reason. What is your new film about? Creepy doll?

There is nothing at the RPM site at the moment so you're not missing much. The short is about a (bedridden) woman named Penny who is haunted by her past.

"The Irresponsible Mrs. Pennywise" - cobalt - 08-27-2008

Looks good Marc. Let us know when we can see more.

"The Irresponsible Mrs. Pennywise" - bones weep tedium - 09-01-2008

Where and when in the UK is the festival? :confused:

Stills look good :thumbsup:

"The Irresponsible Mrs. Pennywise" - Marc - 09-01-2008

bones weep tedium Wrote:Where and when in the UK is the festival? :confused:

Stills look good :thumbsup:

It would be on Propeller TV, a program that airs on Sky.

"The Irresponsible Mrs. Pennywise" - Marc - 09-09-2008

"The Irresponsible Mrs. Pennywise" is complete and on it's way to the UK as well as four other festivals here in the states. While it hasn't officially been released yet on the RPM site (I'm waiting until after it's premiere in Chicago on Thurs.) I thought I'd let those interested a chance to get a sneak peek.

Quicktime 7 is required and a broadband connection is highly recommended. The 7 and a half minute short is 53MB.

Enjoy, and please do let me know what you think!

The Irresponsible Mrs. Pennywise

"The Irresponsible Mrs. Pennywise" - cobalt - 09-09-2008

"Access denied" at work....Sad I'll check it out when I get home tonight.

"The Irresponsible Mrs. Pennywise" - bones weep tedium - 09-09-2008

That film just gave me the fright of my life. . . and I havent even bloody watched it yet!! :eek:

I clicked the link and let the film buffer in a background tab whilst I was reading an article and I completely forgot about it. The first thing I knew was when I started hearing evil noises apparently from nowhere . . . that is a really creepy piece of sound design at the start of the film, Marc. I hope the rest of it measures up Big Grin

---WATCHED IT NOW---

I don't get it. :confused:

I've got one word for you, Marc: it-looked-great-but-I-have-no-idea-what-was-going-on.

I loved the look of the film - very crisp and sharp images it definitley looks v professional. I loved the lighting fading up behind the ghost girl when the TV came on, v spooky having her silhouette out of focus in the background, and having the nurse walk in and out of focus was a slick David Finsher-esque trick. The sound design was creepy especilly the distorted audio on the ghostly TV. The kid's laughter was very unsettling.

Aside from a few niggly compostion issues that I had with certain shots (which would probably come down to personal preferences rather than poor technique) I just thought that too much was left unsaid. Maybe I'd get more out of a re-watch, but I dunno why she was sick, what happened to her kid, who was to blame, why the kid killed her, why she was freaked out by the sight of the kid whilst the kid seemed fairly easy going and pleased to see her.

Have you had many response so far? What's the overall consensus like so far?

Once again: looked great, just needed a bit more story upfront.

You score:
[SIZE="5"]*****[/SIZE]

"The Irresponsible Mrs. Pennywise" - Marc - 09-09-2008

bones weep tedium Wrote:Have you had many response so far? What's the overall consensus like so far?

I was trying to do something a little more Lynchian (that's David Lynch for those that don't know) with "Pennywise". By that I mean I wanted a story that could be interpreted differently depending on the viewer. I wasn't trying to do a mainstream-style narrative.

The few people that have seen it, and at this point that's not too many, have the same feeling as you: visually stunning, creepy but what's the story? I don't take that as a bad thing though. If it can provoke an emotion and get people to ponder the story a bit then I've succeeded with what I was attempting.