RepairmanJack.com Forums
Eastern Promises - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Eastern Promises (/thread-2902.html)

Pages: 1 2

Eastern Promises - Kenji - 06-14-2008

Today was the opening day of two movies, Juno and Eastern Promises.
So.....today I saw Eastern Promises. I am Cronenberg fan.Confusedmilewinkgrin:

Honestly, at first I thought this is not like Cronenberg's film. But the fighting scene in sauna, that bloody violence was definitely Cronenberg's taste. When I saw Viggo stabbed Chechen gang's eye with knife, I cowered. It was very realistic. One thing I was surprised Russian mafia didn't use guns. They use only knives. When they kill the enemy, they cut throat. Gosh....It reminded me of Sweeney Todd without musical.

To me, Cronenberg's best film is Scanners. How 'bout you?

Eastern Promises - GeraldRice - 06-16-2008

To me, "A History of Violence" is his best. One of the most symmetrical movies (in my mind) I have ever seen. My wife watches it every time it comes on.

Eastern Promises - Kenji - 06-16-2008

GeraldRice Wrote:To me, "A History of Violence" is his best. One of the most symmetrical movies (in my mind) I have ever seen. My wife watches it every time it comes on.

You should see Eastern Promises, Gerald....or you saw it already?

Eastern Promises - Scott Miller - 06-16-2008

Kenji Wrote:To me, Cronenberg's best film is Scanners. How 'bout you?

I haven't seen EP yet, but I love Cronenberg. I think The Fly is his best, followed closely by the ultra-creepy Dead Ringers. eXistenZ & Spider are two that don't seem to get enough recognition IMO.

Eastern Promises - Maggers - 06-16-2008

Scott Miller Wrote:I haven't seen EP yet, but I love Cronenberg. I think The Fly is his best, followed closely by the ultra-creepy Dead Ringers. eXistenZ & Spider are two that don't seem to get enough recognition IMO.

I liked EASTERN PROMISES a lot. I love THE FLY which I think is a great love story, as only Cronenberg can tell a love story. DEAD RINGERS was terrific. I saw it in the theater when it was released so long ago. I left the movie clutching my abdomen thankful that my GYN was nothing like those dead ringer twins. I still think of those scarlet operating gowns and those TWISTED tools!!!!!! :eek6:

I also really liked A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE.

I didn't care for EXISTENZ and I haven't seen SPIDER. I'll have to check it out.

Eastern Promises - Kenji - 06-17-2008

Maggers Wrote:I liked EASTERN PROMISES a lot. I love THE FLY which I think is a great love story, as only Cronenberg can tell a love story. DEAD RINGERS was terrific. I saw it in the theater when it was released so long ago. I left the movie clutching my abdomen thankful that my GYN was nothing like those dead ringer twins. I still think of those scarlet operating gowns and those TWISTED tools!!!!!! :eek6:

I also really liked A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE.

I didn't care for EXISTENZ and I haven't seen SPIDER. I'll have to check it out.

Oh, yeah! How can I forget THE FLY?! I'm a fool! :mad2:

EXISTENZ was cool. I like it, too. SPIDER was......hmm, at least, it was not my favorite one.

Eastern Promises - Scott Miller - 06-17-2008

Maggers Wrote:I liked EASTERN PROMISES a lot. I love THE FLY which I think is a great love story, as only Cronenberg can tell a love story. DEAD RINGERS was terrific. I saw it in the theater when it was released so long ago. I left the movie clutching my abdomen thankful that my GYN was nothing like those dead ringer twins. I still think of those scarlet operating gowns and those TWISTED tools!!!!!! :eek6:

I think it is the creepiest movie of all time, it makes my flesh goosey.

Maggers Wrote:I also really liked A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE.

I didn't care for the second half of A History of Violence after a great first half. The movie deflated for me right after Ed Harris got killed. eXistenZ is not without it faults, but I think it is one of the better 'is-it-a-game or reality' films out there. Spider is really quiet and deliberate; listening to Cronenberg's commentery on it elevated the movie for me(he is an excellent speaker and it provided clarity on one big plot point that I had completely misinterpreted).

Eastern Promises - GeraldRice - 06-17-2008

I liked Eastern Promises, but it went in an entirely different direction for me that kind of left me standing in the cold. I'll probably enjoy it more on a rewatch.

Eastern Promises - Aprilis - 06-20-2008

I really loved the naked fight scene in Eastern Promises.

Hey, I'll watch a naked Viggo anytime ....
and now I know he is circumcized Confusedmilewinkgrin:

Eastern Promises - bones weep tedium - 06-20-2008

Kenji Wrote:Today was the opening day of two movies, Juno and Eastern Promises.
So.....today I saw Eastern Promises. I am Cronenberg fan.Confusedmilewinkgrin:

Honestly, at first I thought this is not like Cronenberg's film. But the fighting scene in sauna, that bloody violence was definitely Cronenberg's taste. When I saw Viggo stabbed Chechen gang's eye with knife, I cowered. It was very realistic. [SIZE="5"]One thing I was surprised Russian mafia didn't use guns. They use only knives. When they kill the enemy, they cut throat.[/SIZE] Gosh....It reminded me of Sweeney Todd without musical.

To me, Cronenberg's best film is Scanners. How 'bout you?

I thought that was a very interesting decsion as well. The notion that guns arent allowed in the UK is true ao far as it applies to law abiding citizens, but in actual fact despite the super-strict gun control laws in the UK there is a high rate of gun violence - especially in London.

But I liked the dramatic dynamic that the 'knives only' rule encouraged. Plus the sauna fight was as brutal as it gets . . . :eek:

Good film, I enjoyed it, but I dunno whether it's better than A History Of Violence or not. I thought that was pretty cool.