RepairmanJack.com Forums
Superman Returns - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Superman Returns (/thread-1776.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Superman Returns - jacobm - 07-11-2006

Since it doesn't seem anyone brought this up yet...any feedback on the new Superman movie? We saw it last weekend (along with the new Pirates movie) and I have to admit I was a bit disappointed. I liked the guy they cast as Superman, but I was really surprised at how unmenacing Kevin Spacey was as Luthor. All in all I thought it was a bit boring.

Superman Returns - GeraldRice - 07-11-2006

I liked it. But I see why someone might not have. I really was wanting a supervillain, but instead it was more like a tribute to Richard Donner.

Superman Returns - Terry Willacker - 07-11-2006

I liked it. I thought Kevin Spacey was miscast though. Good story, music, Lois and Clark, but it needed a different actor in the Lex Luther role.

Superman Returns - Lisa - 07-11-2006

I agree with Terry. Actually, to me it seemed like Spacey was trying to channel Alan Rickman and not doing a very good job of it. He was okay, though.

Superman Returns - Jay #1 - 07-12-2006

guess I'm the oddball out.

1) if you take a look at the old movies, you notice that there enough similarities between this Lex and the old to at least make you think it's the exact same actor if you don't know better.

2) to be honest, without Lex in the movie I would've waited for the dvd to come out.

3) I thought he was more evil than the Lex of the old movies.

downside: Lois went from being the rough looking one who smoked so much that it looked like she aged prematurely... to being young and unaffected by time somewhat.

Superman Returns - Maggers - 07-12-2006

jacobm Wrote:Since it doesn't seem anyone brought this up yet...

http://www.repairmanjack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5446

This has been brought up. Tony wrote a great review.

I came away from "Superman Returns" feeling as though I'd watched Christ rising. I never connected Jesus and Superman when watching Christopher Reeve, but the new guy had a very Jesus vibe, IMO. And with Jor-el saying that he's sending us his only son...well, how could I not make the connection?

The movie was OK, but it's been a week since I've seen it and nothing is staying with me, except the Jesus thing. I can't even picture Lois Lane.

Parker Posey was sadly under utilized. I expected Kevin Spacey's Lex Luthor to break into a jazz routine, almost but not quite a lounge lizard. I still enjoyed him though he was not threatening in the least.

Superman Returns - Blake - 07-13-2006

Maggers Wrote:I never connected Jesus and Superman when watching Christopher Reeve, but the new guy had a very Jesus vibe, IMO. And with Jor-el saying that he's sending us his only son...well, how could I not make the connection?

And that was very deliberately done in the first Christopher Reeve film. I read that Richard Donner even got death threats from the fundys over it.

The whole Superman/Christ allegory was supposed to be continued into Superman II, as well, but after the bonehead producers fired Richard Donner and removed all of Brando's footage, most of that got dropped.

There was a really nifty scene in which Brando sacrificed the last of his life force to return his son's powers. On the page, it simultaneously evokes the idea of temptation and resurrection, and you could probably just about write a thesis on all the possible meanings, especially given the source of the temptation.

For those interested in reading the scene in question, the script is here in PDF format. Look on page 75, starting with scene 466A.

I was glad to see the religious subtext restored somewhat in the new one just because I find the allegory interesting. I need to see the new one again, though, to decide what I really thought of it. I saw it at the drive-in (best way to see a movie with a baby!), and the boneheads had it a bit out of focus the whole time. It was frustrating sometimes trying to figure out what the heck was going on.

Blake

Superman Returns - Blake - 07-13-2006

Blake Wrote:For those interested in reading the scene in question, the script is here in PDF format. Look on page 75, starting with scene 466A.

Oh, and let me just add: Isn't the above scene WAY better than the version that actually made it into the movie? I mean, come on: Lois happens to accidentally drop the green crystal, and all Superman has to do is find it later, and next thing you know, he has his powers back? Lame, lame, lame! Sorry, I like Superman II on the whole, but when I see what it could've been, I'm almost offended by the final product.

Blake

Superman Returns - saynomore - 07-13-2006

Smallville, the TV show, tells a better Superman story than Superman Returns does. And Smallville's Lex Luther blows away Stacey's Lex by a mile. I agree that it was a Donner/Reeves tribute more than an inspired single piece. But am looking forward to part II.

AC

P.S. Remember when James Kirk had a son and the Trekkers had a tantrum: That's right, bye-bye, baby! Hmmmmm.

P.P.S. I don't mind when the Superman mythos is updated, but don't change it completely: Didn't they call those "imaginary tales" in the comic book world? There was the "real" world of Superman, and then there was the "imaginary" world where Superman could marry and have kids.

Superman Returns - Marc - 07-16-2006

Blake Wrote:The whole Superman/Christ allegory was supposed to be continued into Superman II, as well, but after the bonehead producers fired Richard Donner and removed all of Brando's footage, most of that got dropped.

You'll be happy to know (well, at least I am) that Donner's cut of Superman II is slated for release in November. Sweet!