RepairmanJack.com Forums
Grizzly Man - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Grizzly Man (/thread-1496.html)

Pages: 1 2

Grizzly Man - Mike Hanson - 02-07-2006

GRIZZLY MAN - on The Discovery Channel

Wow. How can I sum up this movie in just a few paragraphs...Werner Herzog's award-winning documentary about the life of self-proclaimed eco-warrior, bear-protector, and arguably not-quite-sane risk-taker Timothy Treadwell is a tour-de-force of thrilling, head-shaking, beautiful, and often unnerving filmmaking that is a must-see for all.

Over half of the footage used in the documentary was taken by bear-lover Treadwell himself over the last five summers of his life, as he lived among feral bear populations in Alaska, photographing and videotaping the large predators' day to day lives, in alarmingly close-proximity to the "seemingly" gentle giants. Unlike the telephoto lens footage (of Mutual of Omaha and National Geographic fame) taken distances of hundreds of yards away, Treadwell would position himself within mere feet of his subjects, talking to them, singing to them, and even reaching out and touching them when the urge arose, the result being a plethora (and a reported 100 hours of raw footage) of scenes of fantastic beauty and raw untamed nature.

Narrator, Interviewer, and Filmmaker Herzog uses a deft yet gentle hand unearthing the truths and contradictions that composed and surrounded the life of Treadwell, in a series of revealing and often humorous interviews with friends and confidantes of the troubled self-proclaimed bear-protector.

Half self-taught naturalist, half actor and wannabe television personality, Treadwell is the ultimate star of this film, whose eventual (unseen) demise at the teeth and claws of a feral bear would seem almost poetic if not for its brutal simple horrifying reality.

And that is all I've got to say about that.

Mike Out

Grizzly Man - Maggers - 02-07-2006

I stumbled on the show and couldn't watch much of it. Knowing what happened, it was painful to see Tim speaking about the rogue bear as a lean and hungry loner who could be dangerous to man. The bear was in the background and moving ever closer in the scene I saw.

All I know is that the Alaskan outback stikes a deep fear in me. It's so vast, so unpopulated, so raw. I read Jon Krakauer's "Into the Wild" and since then I've never been able to see the Alaskan wilderness as anything other than deadly for the uninitiated.

http://www.repairmanjack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4706&highlight=grizzly

Other folks saw "Grizzly Man" and posted their thoughts on this thread.

Grizzly Man - KRW - 02-07-2006

Maggers Wrote:All I know is that the Alaskan outback stikes a deep fear in me. It's so vast, so unpopulated, so raw. I read Jon Krakauer's "Into the Wild" and since then I've never been able to see the Alaskan wilderness as anything other than deadly for the uninitiated.

I love the wild places Maggers, but they are not for everyone. But don't give up on Alaska, they have all kinds of tours for the uninitiated. Professionals that will show you the sights and also make sure you're safe. Also. I hear the men outnumber the women 13 to 1! Talk about wildlife, oooowwwww!

KRW

Grizzly Man - jimbow8 - 02-08-2006

I haven't seen Grizzly Man yet. It's coming up soon in my queue.

Another good movie is Never Cry Wolf about Farley Mowat's study of wolves in Canada (?). It's not a documentary, but it is still very good, IIRC.

Grizzly Man - Scott Miller - 02-08-2006

jimbow8 Wrote:Another good movie is Never Cry Wolf about Farley Mowat's study of wolves in Canada (?). It's not a documentary, but it is still very good, IIRC.

Right you are, starring the great character actor Charles Martin Smith. For some reason I love it when guys like him or Chris Penn get lead roles in solid movies.

Grizzly Man - The Mad American - 02-08-2006

jimbow8 Wrote:I haven't seen Grizzly Man yet. It's coming up soon in my queue.

Another good movie is Never Cry Wolf about Farley Mowat's study of wolves in Canada (?). It's not a documentary, but it is still very good, IIRC.

NCW is based on a true story, the book is a pretty good read as well.

I have a love for the wild wolf so I really enjoyed that movie/book.

Grizzly Man - The Mad American - 02-08-2006

Maggers Wrote:I stumbled on the show and couldn't watch much of it. Knowing what happened, it was painful to see Tim speaking about the rogue bear as a lean and hungry loner who could be dangerous to man. The bear was in the background and moving ever closer in the scene I saw.

All I know is that the Alaskan outback stikes a deep fear in me. It's so vast, so unpopulated, so raw. I read Jon Krakauer's "Into the Wild" and since then I've never been able to see the Alaskan wilderness as anything other than deadly for the uninitiated.

http://www.repairmanjack.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4706&highlight=grizzly

Other folks saw "Grizzly Man" and posted their thoughts on this thread.

Think it might be a fear of the unknown Maggers? I am like KRW. I love the wild and remote places. I am lucky enough to live in an area that has them in abundance. There is so much that is so beautiful about those kind of places that most people never get to see.

A thing to note is that far far less people are hurt, lost, killed in the wilderness than in pretty much any city around.

Just my 2 cents.... Smile

Grizzly Man - Maggers - 02-08-2006

The Mad American Wrote:Think it might be a fear of the unknown Maggers? I am like KRW. I love the wild and remote places. I am lucky enough to live in an area that has them in abundance. There is so much that is so beautiful about those kind of places that most people never get to see.

A thing to note is that far far less people are hurt, lost, killed in the wilderness than in pretty much any city around.

Just my 2 cents.... Smile

I actually attribute my fear of Alaska (and doesn't that sound completely BIZARRO!) to a past life experience. Nothing else can explain the depth of my discomfort. I enjoy the outdoors, but outside of being in national parks in Montana, Wyoming, Oklahoma and Arizona, I've not been to truly wild places.

It was Krakauer's disturbing book that got me more than anything.

Grizzly Man - Maggers - 02-08-2006

KRW Wrote:I love the wild places Maggers, but they are not for everyone. But don't give up on Alaska, they have all kinds of tours for the uninitiated. Professionals that will show you the sights and also make sure you're safe. Also. I hear the men outnumber the women 13 to 1! Talk about wildlife, oooowwwww!

KRW

ROFL! Actually, I am saving for a cruise to Alaska. I just won't go too far off the beaten path. Big Grin

Grizzly Man - HaroldDemure - 02-08-2006

he begged for death, and he got it. i didn't feel bad for the guy at all.