RepairmanJack.com Forums
Bubba Ho-tep - Printable Version

+- RepairmanJack.com Forums (https://repairmanjack.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Other Topics (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-9.html)
+--- Forum: Off Topic (https://repairmanjack.com/forum/forum-4.html)
+--- Thread: Bubba Ho-tep (/thread-123.html)

Pages: 1 2

Bubba Ho-tep - Scott Miller - 05-24-2004

I thought I should relocate my post to where it might draw more attention because this movie deserves an audience. My admiration for the film grew as I watched the commentary tracks. There is an informative one that got me thinking about all the levels the film operates on (which I missed due to my laughter), but the real treasure is the laugh-a-minute commentary supplied by the 'King.'

In addition to the two commentary tracks, there are a few other worthwhile extras to chew on.

Bruce Campbell's acting is a revelation; I've always liked him despite his campiness which he manages to avoid here. It is by far the best performance of his career.

I don't own many movies, but this is definitely going in my collection.

Scott

Originally Posted by jimbow8
Joe Lansdale of Bubba Ho-Tep fame?!?!? I have no idea where the Tattered Cover is, but I'm sure it is not near me. If anyone gets a chance to see Bubba Ho-Tep, I highly recommend it.

Let me be the first to jump on that Bubba Ho-Tep bandwagon; it is hilarious . Bruce gives one of the best Elvis impersonations ever and the always brilliant Ossie Davis is great as JFK. I'm sensing the birth of a new cult classic.

And why, oh why can't FPW find a director who desires to stay as true to the source material as Don Coscarelli did in this instance? There is little difference between the short story and film; Lansdale's writing is evident in every scene.

Scott

Bubba Ho-tep - The Mad American - 05-25-2004

Yes!!!!!!!!!!! More Bubba HoTep fans!! I loved this movie. Bruce Campbell is amazing as the King, and Ozzie Davis is really good in this as well.

I thought this was a great movie. While it was doing its tour of small movie houses and what not, it really made me stop and really notice just how screwed up Hollywood is, mindless drivel movies like Charlies Angels, Undercover Brother and Soul Plain get major distribution deals and yet Bubba HoTep could not get a distribution deal....If it isn't easily catagorized and doesn't fit into one of their premade molds then Hollywood wants nothing to do with it.

On this subject, I really enjoy Joe R. Lansdales stuff, he writes with a what on the surface seems simple but is an amazing writer. Just finished "A Fine Dark Line". And anyone who can write "Godzilla in a twelve step program" gets my attention right away.

This is a definate must see movie, the major release of the DVD is today, May 25th. So, there is no reason not to see it.

Bubba Ho-tep - Bastard - 05-28-2004

Gee, I kinda feel left behindon this one. I'm a huge fan of "The Bruce" but, at my last duty station, I missed out on the opportunity to see "Bubba Ho-Tep by (literally) minutes... Gonna have to get this one on DVD...

--Jake

Bubba Ho-tep - Richard Kendrick - 06-01-2004

I rented Bubba Ho-tep the other night. I had been waiting to see it since I missed catching it in the theater a while back. I'm a big Bruce Campbell and Don Coscarelli fan. Anyway, the movie was great... Very funny. I enjoyed watching it with the alternate audio tracks on as well. If you get a chance to watch it that way, do it.

Now I'm just waiting for the final Phantasm movie to be made...

RIK (Holding his breath)

Bubba Ho-tep - Kenji - 05-24-2007

I was wondering why this movie was not theatrical release in Japan.

As I read this thread, I really wanted to see this movie. I've been waiting for a long time. And, finally, today I bought DVD and just now I saw it!

Wow! Elvis was alive?! And JFK was a black man?! What a movie! I really enjoyed that plot! Bruce Campbell was great performer. He could play perfectly Elvis Presley. Maybe this is a true story. I think Elvis is still alive. In somewhere... Nah! :p

Someday, I'll check bonus materials : Deleted scenes and Joe R. Lansdale's read aloud. Sounds interesting.

Bubba Ho-tep - Mike Hanson - 05-24-2007

Scott Miller Wrote:Bruce Campbell's acting is a revelation; I've always liked him despite his campiness which he manages to avoid here. It is by far the best performance of his career.

I too worship at the altar of Bruce Campbell (I've read his
biography "If Chins Could Kill" twice) and also love him in
all his campy glory (which he really did display from time
to time in Bubba).

However, the ONLY role I've seen him in, where he wasn't
overacting to "some" extent, would have to be his guest
spot on an episode of The X-Files titled "Terms of Endearment"
which aired in Season VI.

This was the first, and only time, I have ever seen Bruce
reign himself in, as it were. His performance was tight,
low-key, focused, with nary a histrionic. No smirks, no
bug eyes, no weird chuckles, and no overstated mimery.
It was the most "normal" I'd ever seen him act in his life,
which just drips with irony considering his X-File role
was that of a demon (with a heart of gold) masquerading
as a human.

And I've gotten a real kick from his latest Old Spice commercial!

Mike Smile

Bubba Ho-tep - Scott Miller - 05-24-2007

Kenji Wrote:Someday, I'll check bonus materials : Deleted scenes and Joe R. Lansdale's read aloud. Sounds interesting.

Do listen to both audio commentaries, they're both good for different reasons.

Bubba Ho-tep - Kenji - 05-24-2007

Scott Miller Wrote:Do listen to both audio commentaries, they're both good for different reasons.

Japanese edition not contain audio commentaries..... Sad

Bubba Ho-tep - Scott Miller - 05-24-2007

Kenji Wrote:Japanese edition not contain audio commentaries..... Sad

That's too bad, Bruce does a hilarious one as Elvis and then he and Coscarelli provide one that made me look at the movie in a whole new light.

Bubba Ho-tep - phoenix rising - 05-24-2007

In case anyone didn't notice.....I'm a huge Bruce fan, I am in the process of getting a copy of Bubba Ho-Tep. (Amazon has the collectors edition) I love good camp, and this movie is full of it!!!

You might also want to check out his books....(yeah Bruce also writes)